Motorcycle.com article about 2019 PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Motorcycle.com article about 2019 PCX

Post by gn2 »

"Disc brake would involve removing pads, clean disk, clean caliper, remount and every second year change fluid. No more messing with exhaust, swingarm and wheel removal etc."

On some bikes yes, but on scooters usually you can't get access to the pads without some disassembly.
Also for those of us who ride in the wet on salted roads for months at a time, rear calipers are prone to sticking because they are nearly always single piston sliders and corrosion stops them sliding.
This means far more frequent disassembly and attention than a drum needs.
What's easier, replacing and bleeding hydraulics once every two years or never...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Blue

Post by d1ckyh »

Mel46 wrote:First of all I noticed that the new engine is 4cc smaller than previously. Next, I noticed that they did not mention being able to store the helmet under the seat, but rather they mention a helmet hook. Lastly, I noticed that the tire sizes have changed:
"The new wheels also come with new, larger rubber – a 100/80-14 front tire and a 120/70-14 rear (compared to the 2018 model’s 90/90-14 and 100/90-14). "

I guess that means that it would not hurt my 2013 model if I put a 100/80-14 tire on as my front tire.

Last note: $4,000 for the ABS version?? There are a lot of choices out there for that kind of money.
Says :7.4 gallons of underseat storage. not sure what the 2018 model is... but the 7.4 gal sounds about right
PCX - Peace Comes with eXcellence

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

As for ease of maintenance well drum brakes you have to:
>Remove exhaust> remove swingarm> remove wheel> Clean> change pads> adjust lever cable and then remount in reverse order. So much for easy, I can't see your point.
Wow, I didn’t know the swing arm must be removed from the frame in order to service the rear brake. Does the swing arm also need to be removed from the frame to change the rear tire ? I was assuming the PCX was like other bikes I’ve owned and that after the rear wheel was off - the drum brake could be accessed easily.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Well, yes of course. Once the wheel is off you can change tyres or service rear brake. Removing swingarm is not a big deal per se: just three bolts. But like many things on the pcx it all adds up rather quickly. My bad mood about PCX braking might come that my dealer lent me a peugeot Satelis 125cc while doing a major overhaul on the PCX and the braking was a night and day experience . i hated just about everything else but top speed, but the braking- it was really good. disc all round, bite and feel. all this with a small disc front a tiny dual piston caliper. In a French review they warned inexperienced drivers that they might have surprises on the wet because of the bite of the braking (no ABS). Maybe - but i still miss that feeling. It gave a confidence that i don't have on the pcx.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

springer1 wrote:Wow, I didn’t know the swing arm must be removed from the frame in order to service the rear brake. Does the swing arm also need to be removed from the frame to change the rear tire ? I was assuming the PCX was like other bikes I’ve owned and that after the rear wheel was off - the drum brake could be accessed easily.
It isn't a swingarm removal as such, its just the A-bracket on the exhaust side which needs to come off to get the wheel out.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
superandyp
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by superandyp »

I wonder if anyone has retrofitted a rear disk brake. Hmmm
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

superandyp wrote:I wonder if anyone has retrofitted a rear disk brake. Hmmm
Too much trouble. People have been asking since 2011; good news is that's it's available now, bad one is: not in your country, if that country is not indonesia. Go figure.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

gn2 wrote:[Also for those of us who ride in the wet on salted roads for months at a time
There is saying here in Belgium that goes like " if it's not raining, means that it's going to rain soon :)
We've had sub 5 degrees temperatures for about 4 months this winter- snow, salt...ice! I ride in any weather except snow and ice. My record was -20 celsius, but dry.
Doing a brake bleeding is a breeze if you have the right tools. you have to do this for front as well anyway. but ok the rear will not need this if it's drums.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

superandyp wrote:I wonder if anyone has retrofitted a rear disk brake. Hmmm

Trouble is that the casting that holds the drum is also the crankcase.

Wanting a disk at the rear is just a fashion or having fun with skids thing. It's a low speed scooter.

On a motorcycle I only use the rear brake for three things.

Braking on gravel
Turning the bike if I'm going far too fast.
Tucking down a wheelie.

On a scooter non of these are really necessary and a drum is fine

Skids are cool though :lol:
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

"Wanting a disk at the rear is just a fashion"

Yes a fashion that started in 1955.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_brak ... production
While i can relate with GN2 comments to maintenance, this is just fake news.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

IF "Don't worry- be happy" is what are people saying about braking in PCX i would just add: Sure...until.... you smash yourself- don't take my word for it, live it!
PCX brakes aren't that bad- just not that great neither. Something in the middle then? Hmmmmm not really. V1 had bigger calipers and they were able to wrap discs ( i know...) ever since - oh... smaller calpers god knows why... Blessed are the ones who never had to find out. Ignorance is bliss as Orwell said. I'm talking of the front one of course since we never knew what a rear one meant until now - if - you are living in...(10 points). Can members that actually have dual discs give their feedback please? Especially if they have known both types of PCX's?
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Ooops pardon me : Orwell's quote should read: " Ignorance is Strength". Sorry George.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I'd be happy with ABS but I also believe the CBS brakes on the PCX are quite good and suitable for the task. You just have to get used to using a mix of rear and front and not relying on the front brakes only, as one day you'll grab the lever and may lock the wheel.
I've heard some say to usually use the front brake only - that seems wrong to me and dangerous.
Engine braking mixed with slow pressure on the rear and front seems ideal. I've done emergency stops on three different scooters in CBT training and once in real life, no issues at all with the CBS compared to other scooters without CBS.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

I'd be happy with ABS but I also believe the CBS brakes on the PCX are quite good and suitable for the task.
Roger that. I'm far more concerned with how gravel, paint stripes or a random oil/ grease/ wet patches effect tire grip than I am with the PCX brakes.

Also, I don't think that MC or Scooter brake technology should be considered to be a cure-all to compensate for bad riding habits. Basically, I think the PCX brakes are fine for a 150cc bike.

I don't mean to sound severe on that point, but (in my area) the riding environment has become far too congested for anything but alert defensive riding. I wish the areas where we used to ride our dirt bikes were still available to play on; those times goofing around in the mud & dirt were great fun and super for teaching how to control a bike.

But all this is just an old guy's thinking LoL.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

But all this is just an old guy's thinking LoL.
Your comments echo my opinion as well. I think the PCX brakes are more than adequate. I also stay alert for paint (especially after rain), sand, road debris, and the crack sealer that municipalities use which can be soft and gooey in Summer or quite slippery when wet. Oh. . .did I forget those steel manhole covers or bridge expansion joints?

Some of the roads in my area have become so much more busy than they used to be that I can actually detect "wagon wheel" type shallow depressions in the asphalt. It's not as relaxing to ride here as it once was. And, a lot of my old "dirt biking" spots are now occupied with housing developments or business facilities or are just not appropriate to use anymore due to trails being established for hikers. . .which is not a bad thing. . .just a sign of the times. 8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The main reason for ABS is the unforeseen "oh shit" moment when reason goes out the window, instinct takes over, you grab a big handful of brake, lock the front wheel and go down like a sack of spuds.

Regarding the "front brake only" bullshit, the rear brake is there for a reason, so use it.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

The main reason for ABS is the unforeseen "oh shit" moment when reason goes out the window, instinct takes over, you grab a big handful of brake, lock the front wheel and go down like a sack of spuds.

Regarding the "front brake only" bullshit, the rear brake is there for a reason, so use it.
In that regard I can understand the value of ABS. . .. It gets psychological when the that fickle finger of fate takes us by surprise. No time for "steady. . .steady. . .steady. . .NOW!".

For those who want ABS I'm glad it's available. 8)