Ram Mounts X-Grip IV follow-up

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Ram Mounts X-Grip IV follow-up

Post by honkerman »

More than ten months ago, I installed one of these buggers on my PCX. Now, nearly a year later I'm re-visiting the subject and have a report on my findings.

See blog post for details.

http://scootinfool.blogspot.com/2016/06 ... ow-up.html
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Ram Mounts X-Grip IV follow-up

Post by WhiteNoise »

I think it's Great that you do follow ups! This is an item we all think about (some buy) sooner or later. So thank ya!
The U clamp is the only part of this kit that keeps me from buying it. Our bars don't have much straight room. They get curvey fast. So the "U" slips/slides. Maybe you can add some thin non-slip rubber under it or...how about that "dip-it" rubber stuff (like they use on tools, etc?)
I'd like to use the centerbar as a mounting point, as long as it doesn't block my cluster of dash info ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:I think it's Great that you do follow ups! This is an item we all think about (some buy) sooner or later. So thank ya!
The U clamp is the only part of this kit that keeps me from buying it. Our bars don't have much straight room. They get curvey fast. So the "U" slips/slides. Maybe you can add some thin non-slip rubber under it or...how about that "dip-it" rubber stuff (like they use on tools, etc?)
I'd like to use the centerbar as a mounting point, as long as it doesn't block my cluster of dash info ;)

A couple of turns of electrical tape?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

WhiteNoise wrote:I think it's Great that you do follow ups! This is an item we all think about (some buy) sooner or later. So thank ya!
If you want to butcher your handlebars, an U clamp sounds like a great idea.
Personally, I prefer this style of clamp: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN7-400U
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

chicaboo wrote:
If you want to butcher your handlebars, an U clamp sounds like a great idea.
Personally, I prefer this style of clamp: http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN7-400U
Which is why I didn't over-tighten the thing. I saw the potential and wasn't really all that excited at the prospect. :D
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

First let me say that I have Ram Mounts to on both of our bikes, but I bought the brake reservoir cover that has the ball on it. That is much more secure than the clamp. (I had them on my 2006 Burman 400 and took them off when I sold it. They fit my 2013 PCX quite well.) However, since you are using the clamp, and I have several things that I clamp on to the handlebar, here is what I do. There is some rubber tape that is used by plumber. I believe that it is called 'Stretch and Seal'. It can be obtained at Walmart, Home depot, Ace Hardware, and a lot of other places. It costs around $9. Wrap some of this around the part of the handlebar you want the clamp to be attached to. As you wrap it, you stretch it as tight as you can. What I found about wrapping electrical tape instead is that the tape adhesive melts in the summer heat, so the clamp slips. The rubber tape does not.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

That's the ticket Mel! :P
I Forgot about that tape! The stick "to itself" silicone tape. It does exactly that and there's no sticky residue. Actually, I'm very impressed that it does what it says it can do! Those that haven't tried this product (sold under different names and in many stores) must try it. I'll go as far as to say, that it should be a staple in everyone's household. And maybe even...... :D ........
Under One's Saddle! (I mean that!)
Here's an example:
http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/produ ... hgodm-QH5Q

Also @ Mel - I've seen that brake reservoir mount plate online. I've wondered if that positions your phone or GPS up Too high? Do you mount accessories on both sides of your bars or just off the brake reservoir?

chicaboo, my water bottle holder has that kind of bar clamp. I do like it. It's only fault to me, is that it's big n bulky. I'm Nick picky...I know :oops:

2yous yes, we come from the land of Find n Fix. Find something you already have and put it to use. Electrical tape would work for awhile. When it's melted, we just Slip/Slide it off then put on another wrap around piece! Simples :D in a pinch, it works!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:That's the ticket Mel! :P
I Forgot about that tape! The stick "to itself" silicone tape. It does exactly that and there's no sticky residue. Actually, I'm very impressed that it does what it says it can do! Those that haven't tried this product (sold under different names and in many stores) must try it. I'll go as far as to say, that it should be a staple in everyone's household. And maybe even...... :D ........
Under One's Saddle! (I mean that!)
Here's an example:
http://www.truevalue.com//catalog/produ ... hgodm-QH5Q

Also @ Mel - I've seen that brake reservoir mount plate online. I've wondered if that positions your phone or GPS up Too high? Do you mount accessories on both sides of your bars or just off the brake reservoir?

chicaboo, my water bottle holder has that kind of bar clamp. I do like it. It's only fault to me, is that it's big n bulky. I'm Nick picky...I know :oops:

2yous yes, we come from the land of Find n Fix. Find something you already have and put it to use. Electrical tape would work for awhile. When it's melted, we just Slip/Slide it off then put on another wrap around piece! Simples :D in a pinch, it works!
I meant the proper electrical tape without the adhesive.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Top of the Day to ya 2yous!
Proper electrical tape? Hmm...Non-sticky? Do tell, or show, which is that? A Link?
Or perhaps you are speaking of the same self stick grip type?
Help pleeeze :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Ram Mount on my bike.jpg
Ram Mount on my bike.jpg (148.12 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
I wouldn't say that the position of the ram mount affect to my visibility. In fact, it is probably lower than yours is. I have a switch to my auxiliary LED driving lights on the left handlebar, plus a cup holder that I use often while riding. I am about to install a switch somewhere on the bike for the strobe lights too, but I am running out of room. I also have a ram mount holder on one of the plastic panels (left side on top) so that I can add my iPad for long trips. Here is what the mess looks like.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:
Ram Mount on my bike.jpg
I wouldn't say that the position of the ram mount affect to my visibility. In fact, it is probably lower than yours is. I have a switch to my auxiliary LED driving lights on the left handlebar, plus a cup holder that I use often while riding. I am about to install a switch somewhere on the bike for the strobe lights too, but I am running out of room. I also have a ram mount holder on one of the plastic panels (left side on top) so that I can add my iPad for long trips. Here is what the mess looks like.
I don't understand the cup holder that I use whilst riding...don't need a drink on a bike, won't I spill it and, oh yes, I'm wearing a helmet.
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

You can replace part of the brake reservoir clamp with a RAM mount

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... unt#p65613
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

...or you can replace the brake reservoir cover with a Ram Mounts cover.
As for drink holders on scooters, I can stop anywhere on my ride and get a drink of something, and if I put a straw in the cup I can just flip up my Vidor and drink from the straw. With the tall windshield on my bike there is no wind resistance to worry about while I drink.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Scotty1981
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Scotty1981 »

Mel46 wrote:...or you can replace the brake reservoir cover with a Ram Mounts cover.
As for drink holders on scooters, I can stop anywhere on my ride and get a drink of something, and if I put a straw in the cup I can just flip up my Vidor and drink from the straw. With the tall windshield on my bike there is no wind resistance to worry about while I drink.
You could get a foot or two of flexible tubing and just keep it in your mouth and drink as you ride without even letting go of the handlebars.
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion

Post by Cube »

I think that's called a Camelbak ;)

I'm going with this item to attach my Ram Mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J43I56
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

That is an interesting thought. I wonder which bolt that would replace. Do you think it would fit the center handlebar bolts?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

Cube wrote: I'm going with this item to attach my Ram Mount: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J43I56
I think that is the best RAM mount base for PCX. It is low profile, central, relatively cheaper than other bases, need no taking off (vs Tough-Claw base), can be easily used as a convenient hook, and you can install 4 of them. I have 1, but maybe should have got 2 for a better symmetrical look. I also use Tough-Claw and suction cup (tethered) bases when I do some camera shooting.
ImageImageImage
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion

Post by Cube »

I'm planning to install mine tomorrow as the GF and I are planning an 80+ mile trip on the scoots Tuesday if the weather holds. I'll take some pictures of the mount (and hopefully the trip!)
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300