New PCX owner

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

New PCX owner

Post by Cube »

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a rider for quite a while but I'm new to the twist-n-go lifestyle. I'd been thinking about something smaller for commuting, plus I was thinking about trying to get the girlfriend interested in riding so I started looking at craigslist and discovered the PCX. After missing a couple of low mile examples in white by an hour or so I gave up and headed to the dealership... where I decided I liked blue and bought a 2018 off the showroom floor last weekend. The GF and I are really enjoying it so far (I think she's pondering one of her own) and I've been looking at all the farkles here on the forum. I'm glad there's such a robust community for the PCX, and I'm happy to be a part of it.

-Cube
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: New PCX owner

Post by you you »

Cube wrote:Hello everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been a rider for quite a while but I'm new to the twist-n-go lifestyle. I'd been thinking about something smaller for commuting, plus I was thinking about trying to get the girlfriend interested in riding so I started looking at craigslist and discovered the PCX. After missing a couple of low mile examples in white by an hour or so I gave up and headed to the dealership... where I decided I liked blue and bought a 2018 off the showroom floor last weekend. The GF and I are really enjoying it so far (I think she's pondering one of her own) and I've been looking at all the farkles here on the forum. I'm glad there's such a robust community for the PCX, and I'm happy to be a part of it.

-Cube

Excellent :D
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

You'll value the huge amount of under seat storage capacity compared to other scooters and you can always add a top box or soft luggage. Take your time getting used to riding the PCX and become knowledgeable of it's features and operation. 8)

If you live in the U.S. you may find that riding Interstate Highways is a bit of reach considering the PCX tops out at around 63MPH (maybe). You can get more out of it changing rollers and weights and doing other mods. I've left mine stock and just use it on regular roads and around town. 8)
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion

Post by Cube »

Fortunately I started riding on an old CM400T - I think the PCX is nearly as fast and handles better! Tomorrow will be my first commute on it, and I'm looking forward to riding to work again. It's been way too long.
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White

Post by djbass »

Congratulations on your purchase! Will there be a picture of the blue PCX? :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

So Cube, how was your first commute on your new PCX? I didn't find any updates.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Scotty1981

Post by Scotty1981 »

djbass wrote:Congratulations on your purchase! Will there be a picture of the blue PCX? :)

Here's a picture of my 2018 just bought last week. 2018 PCX 150 https://imgur.com/gallery/VqTHj
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, I took my little PCX out for another short run today. It is so nice to be out on it.
...and then I stopped off at Starbucks.

There might have been 4 customers, and 2 of them were my wife and my daughter, who parked their car in the Handicap space because we have a handicap license plate. I pulled my bike into the space where a wheelchair might go if the passenger was wheelchair bound. Any other individual in a wheelchair had plenty of room. Well the store manager asked me to move my bike. I asked why and his reply was that a wheelchair couldn't get by. I said that it certainly could. I told him that my wife was parked in the handicapped spot and didn't need a wheelchair.

He said, "What about other customers?"

I looked around and said, "WHAT OTHER CUSTOMERS? Aside from the fact that i am your 5th customer, and I am handicapped, are you expecting others? And by the way, I left the space beside me open, JUST IN CASE YOU GET ANOTHER CUSTOMER."

To this all he could say was,"Please don't block the wheelchair access."

It was like I was talking to an idiot. The space beside me was not a handicap space but I had left plenty of room in case a handicap designated vehicle pulled into that space. (I parked the scooter far down the access area, closer to the back door of a car than the front.)

Since the manager was insistent though, I just rolled my bike into the available space. That way, if there was another customer, and if he were to be handicapped, he would now have to park across the street and roll his wheelchair across that street to get to the wheelchair ramp, instead of parking in the space by the door that I now had my scooter in.

By the way, no other customers stopped in while I was there. Happy Easter!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

By the way, no other customers stopped in while I was there. Happy Easter!
Happy Easter to you and your family as well Mel! :D

Go some place else next time. ;)

I've never set foot in one of that coffee chain's establishments and never will.

I'm not into buying coffee with "snob appeal". . .just want some good hot coffee and cheap. I do buy the "good stuff" for when I brew at home though.

Plus the adds on TV now I'm seeing are dissing on the prices those places charge anyhow and it makes more sense to go to one of those gas station franchises that sells coffee in large cups cheap.

Discrimination against motorcycles is still to be found. . .and that's why that guy who kicked you out of the handicap space was a bring down buzz kill. Don't worry about. . .just think about another place you can go that will enhance your riding experience. 8)

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

It was like I was talking to an idiot. The space beside me was not a handicap space but I had left plenty of room in case a handicap designated vehicle pulled into that space. (I parked the scooter far down the access area, closer to the back door of a car than the front.)
I've suspected you're a cloaked trouble-maker ever since I joined this group :D :D
tjupille
Color: red

Post by tjupille »

It was like I was talking to an idiot.
You were. Which isn't Starbucks' fault. To borrow from one of my high-school teachers (many, many years ago): "Always remember that the world has a lot more horse's backsides than it has horses.".
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

springer1 wrote:
I've suspected you're a cloaked trouble-maker ever since I joined this group :D :D

Wearing the underpants on the outside is the first clue :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Hey, not fair. Thems my official uniform. We is born to be troublemakers. "Sons of Arthritis" ride again!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Scotty1981

Post by Scotty1981 »

Mel you should check out parking laws for your state, Ohio recently passed one a few years ago that allows 150cc and smaller to park on sidewalks. 4511.68 section B, there could be a similar perk to riding small scooters where you live.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.68

4511.68 Parking - prohibited acts.
(A) No person shall stand or park a trackless trolley or vehicle, except when necessary to avoid conflict with other traffic or to comply with sections 4511.01 to 4511.78, 4511.99, and 4513.01 to 4513.37 of the Revised Code, or while obeying the directions of a police officer or a traffic control device, in any of the following places:

(1) On a sidewalk, except as provided in division (B) of this section;

(2) In front of a public or private driveway;

(3) Within an intersection;

(4) Within ten feet of a fire hydrant;

(5) On a crosswalk;

(6) Within twenty feet of a crosswalk at an intersection;

(7) Within thirty feet of, and upon the approach to, any flashing beacon, stop sign, or traffic control device;

(8) Between a safety zone and the adjacent curb or within thirty feet of points on the curb immediately opposite the ends of a safety zone, unless a different length is indicated by a traffic control device;

(9) Within fifty feet of the nearest rail of a railroad crossing;

(10) Within twenty feet of a driveway entrance to any fire station and, on the side of the street opposite the entrance to any fire station, within seventy-five feet of the entrance when it is properly posted with signs;

(11) Alongside or opposite any street excavation or obstruction when such standing or parking would obstruct traffic;

(12) Alongside any vehicle stopped or parked at the edge or curb of a street;

(13) Upon any bridge or elevated structure upon a highway, or within a highway tunnel;

(14) At any place where signs prohibit stopping;

(15) Within one foot of another parked vehicle;

(16) On the roadway portion of a freeway, expressway, or thruway.

(B) A person shall be permitted, without charge or restriction, to stand or park on a sidewalk a motor-driven cycle or motor scooter that has an engine not larger than one hundred and fifty cubic centimeters, or a bicycle, provided that the motor-driven cycle, motor scooter, or bicycle does not impede the normal flow of pedestrian traffic. This division does not authorize any person to operate a vehicle in violation of section 4511.711 of the Revised Code.

(C) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates division (A) of this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. 66, SB 194, §1, eff. 6/2/2014.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004 .
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I doubt that there are too many restrictions on scooters around here. I see them parked on sidewalks, etc. All the time. The manager was just being an ASS. I would have thought that he would have been glad to have a customer. After all, I brought 3 of the 5 customers he had. That store was dead. What few customers we saw were all going through the drive thru. Since it was Easter, as well as whatever the Jewish community calls their holy day, so the streets were almost completely empty.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion

Post by Cube »

Thought I'd pop in and update. Weather has been a bit spotty, but I've commuted to work several times now and nearly have the bike to 300 miles. It's really been fun to be back on 2 wheels. The GF caught the bug too, so we picked her up a beater Kymco Movie (meaning already dropped) for her to learn on. Once she gets her permit or (preferably) takes the MSF class I'm sure our saddle time will increase quite a bit.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Thought I'd pop in and update. Weather has been a bit spotty, but I've commuted to work several times now and nearly have the bike to 300 miles. It's really been fun to be back on 2 wheels. The GF caught the bug too, so we picked her up a beater Kymco Movie (meaning already dropped) for her to learn on. Once she gets her permit or (preferably) takes the MSF class I'm sure our saddle time will increase quite a bit.
The Kymco Movie is a nice machine. For some reason they sort of came and went on the retail market here.

Enjoy Colorado. Give my regards to Pikes Peak. 8)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Hey, not fair. Thems my official uniform. We is born to be troublemakers. "Sons of Arthritis" ride again!

:lol: :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I doubt that there are too many restrictions on scooters around here. I see them parked on sidewalks, etc. All the time. The manager was just being an ASS. I would have thought that he would have been glad to have a customer. After all, I brought 3 of the 5 customers he had. That store was dead. What few customers we saw were all going through the drive thru. Since it was Easter, as well as whatever the Jewish community calls their holy day, so the streets were almost completely empty.

Ask him to go outside and show you where to park. Then park it on him I say.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, I suspect that this Starbucks will be back to its old worthless self once the holidays are over. It is a great place for the overworked consumers to drop off their young consumer kids so they don't have to be responsible parents and actually do some real parenting for a few more hours. After all, it is important to teach your spoiled brat child how to spend spend spend.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150