Riding with a passenger

General Honda Forza 125 chat, questions about the Forza 125, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Riding with a passenger

Post by WhiteNoise »

Spaguar, that's a beautiful car! Sorta reminds me of a raised Karmann Ghia :) (my uncle had a early model Ghia, hardtop, he had it shipped over from Germany. Ignition was Not on the dash. Very unique.

Oh and I drove around a 1975 Fiat X19 for a short time. What was cool was its' removable top! Once removed it was stored under the front hood. Snap!
I'll say it again.....Those were the Days, me hooligan's! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I went out to that drain spout and yanked the bottom part off. Now it no longer turns inward. If there was a reason why it was set up that way, I will soon find out. Thunderstorms are predicted later on today.

On the subject of riding two up, it is much more difficult to ride with a passenger, and stopping takes longer, so practice before getting out on public roads. The bike can handle the load. It just does not respond as quickly, and it is not as easy to balance when sitting at a light or turning a corner. Educate your passenger as to what they need to do on their part. Some things that they take for granted in a car are bad as a passenger on a bike, such as shifting around to get more comfortable while you are in motion.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018 Forza 125
Color: Silver/Pacific

Post by Spaguar »

WhiteNoise wrote:Spaguar, that's a beautiful car! Sorta reminds me of a raised Karmann Ghia :) (my uncle had a early model Ghia, hardtop, he had it shipped over from Germany. Ignition was Not on the dash. Very unique.

Oh and I drove around a 1975 Fiat X19 for a short time. What was cool was its' removable top! Once removed it was stored under the front hood. Snap!
I'll say it again.....Those were the Days, me hooligan's! 8)
All the commands were so responsive too.
I enjoyed doing the handbrake 180° turns. I don't know a proper English word for it.
I second your quote "Those were the days"
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
ImageImageImage
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Spaguar »

Mel46 wrote:On the subject of riding two up, it is much more difficult to ride with a passenger, and stopping takes longer, so practice before getting out on public roads. The bike can handle the load. It just does not respond as quickly, and it is not as easy to balance when sitting at a light or turning a corner. Educate your passenger as to what they need to do on their part. Some things that they take for granted in a car are bad as a passenger on a bike, such as shifting around to get more comfortable while you are in motion.
My wife was a very easy passenger back then, on our 50cc moped. A few decades and a few kilos later I am sure we will manage. My concern was mostly about the power, but by now, I am quite reassured. We will surely be very careful and practice short rides before any serious ride.
ImageImageImage
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I know lots of folks like those tiny clown cars, and yes they are cute collectors , but us bigger folks go for gusto..

1961-Ford-Thunderbird-red-convertible[1].jpg
1961-Ford-Thunderbird-red-convertible[1].jpg (183.19 KiB) Viewed 1167 times
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

Spaguar wrote: My first motored solo ride was when I was 10, on a French Solex 3800 - a bicycle with a funny motor on a front wheel
Solex 3800.png
(could not decide whether to present it by Brigitte Bardot or Steve Mac Queen, so I selected both)
When the choice comes down to between Brigitte Bardot and Steve McQueen you can't really lose! :lol:

I love those Velo Solex things. I have yet to ride one but I want to. The idea of front wheel drive on a motorised bicycle intrigues me. :)

Great account too, Darko
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Spaguar »

easyrider wrote:I know lots of folks like those tiny clown cars, and yes they are cute collectors , but us bigger folks go for gusto..
That's a really nice one. On the narrow Mediterranean streets though you could hardly make the corner in one go while those "clown cars" would just pass by.

I would definitely like a ride in your Thunderbird along, say, Venice Beach...
ImageImageImage
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Spaguar »

lillypinkjenny wrote: I love those Velo Solex things. I have yet to ride one but I want to. The idea of front wheel drive on a motorised bicycle intrigues me. :)
As far as I remember, the gas line was connected to the front brake lever. So you would go full-throttle once the levers were released. Full speed with hands in your pockets. Funny, funny thing.
ImageImageImage
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

[quote="easyrider"]I know lots of folks like those tiny clown cars, and yes they are cute collectors , but us bigger folks go for gusto..

Its true. Bigger clowns need bigger cars :lol:
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Spaguar »

you you wrote:
easyrider wrote:I know lots of folks like those tiny clown cars, and yes they are cute collectors , but us bigger folks go for gusto..

Its true. Bigger clowns need bigger cars :lol:
Ha, ha... Good one :lol:
ImageImageImage
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

Spaguar wrote:
lillypinkjenny wrote: I love those Velo Solex things. I have yet to ride one but I want to. The idea of front wheel drive on a motorised bicycle intrigues me. :)
As far as I remember, the gas line was connected to the front brake lever. So you would go full-throttle once the levers were released. Full speed with hands in your pockets. Funny, funny thing.
Now it sounds even more endearing. :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

My first three cars...

Fiat 126, 600cc air cooled parallel twin rear mount engine, rear wheel drive.
Basic box, totally bonkers car, crashed it into a wall and killed it

Lada 1200 estate, liquid cooled 1200cc in-line 4, rear wheel drive.
Huge carrying capacity, fold rear seat down and could use it as a camper.
Had numerous oil leaks, used to top it up with waste oil out my motorbikes.

Citroen 2CV6, air cooled opposed twin front wheel drive, inboard brakes, long travel linked swingarm suspension, first car ever to have radial tyres as standard fitment.
Loved that thing, many good memories from that time, only car I wish I still had.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_2CV

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I was Pissed enough at that drain pipe that I yanked the curved part completely off. It looks better that way anyway! I think an idiot installed it. That particular drain was the first one we found a problem with in this house. One of the drains in the back yard ran underground. The problem was that it didn't go anywhere! So what idiot put the drain in the ground and expected it to work!? After months of the water backing up we traced it to that drain. As soon as we disconnected the part that went into the ground it started to work properly.. Some people don't think. I suspect that they were trying to make a French drain but didn't read all of the instructions.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:My first three cars...

Citroen 2CV6, air cooled opposed twin front wheel drive, inboard brakes, long travel linked swingarm suspension, first car ever to have radial tyres as standard fitment.
Loved that thing, many good memories from that time, only car I wish I still had.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citro%C3%ABn_2CV

Theyll all be in rust heaven now...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I can't believe anyone thought it was safe to put the gas tank under the driver's seat! It is hard to imagine those French 2CVs as comfortable either. As for the Lada, well it is Russian so the styling was stolen from some other car maker. They don't seem to have any imagination. I am guessing Italians thought that little, practical car up...maybe Fiat?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Mel46 wrote:I can't believe anyone thought it was safe to put the gas tank under the driver's seat! It is hard to imagine those French 2CVs as comfortable either. As for the Lada, well it is Russian so the styling was stolen from some other car maker. They don't seem to have any imagination. I am guessing Italians thought that little, practical car up...maybe Fiat?
Yup - the Lada was a licensed version of the Fiat 124. My dad used to have one. :)
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

gn2 wrote:My first three cars...

Wow, I'd have all 3 of those now! :D

I can hand on heart say that I have not seen one of those little Fiats for over a decade, and Ladas are few and far between.

There seem to be lots of 2CVs in Sussex though. Maybe there was some major concentration of owners at one point. According to Him Indoors there was an annual 2CV London to Brighton Run every year, though he doesn't know if it still continues.