Rain riding

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: Rain riding

Post by davenowherejones »

Today I was almost hoping for rain. I tried to go riding yesterday but the ice in the mobile home park just would not melt. I even put a little salt down. The owner asked me to help him with a few things. I went in the 4x4 to McDonalds later on.

The ice this morning also would not melt. The owner wanted some more help so it was about noon before I carefully rode out to the road where there was very little ice. I wanted to go to Mission because it would be a little warmer and safer.

I got half way to Agassiz where the wind was just slamming into me at all sort of angles. The Forza would be leaning over a lot just to go straight and then the wind hit me from the other side. Some of the little mountain valleys were calm and others violent.

It was pretty pleasant by the time I got to Mission. I had a Wendy's baked potato and then had to run to the bathroom. That was unpleasant. I walked around Canadian Tire until I thought it was safe to ride the Honda Maxi-scooter home.

My bathroom break had made me late going home. I had really strange lighting with the setting sun. The wind started slamming me around again at Ruby Creek. I have ridden a lot in violent weather but a few of those gusts truly scared me.

I fuelled up in Hope and went home to make a spaghetti dinner which being really single means I have food for the next week. It is a good job I like leftovers.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

ve inn a mobile home in Canada?? I have always heard that mobile homes are built with less insulation than the average house in order to save money.
When I owned one there wasn't much insulation in the floor area for sure. We had it moved and the pipes broke, so I had to go under the home and fix them. It didn't take much effort to get to the pipes. We put skirting around the base to protect against wind, but it still seemed like the floors were cold.
My brother lived in one for 30 years, but he had to add some kind of insulation board to the underside. Eventually he added a small stove of some sort. I think it used pellets of some sort. It kept the place quite warm.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Mel46 wrote:ve inn a mobile home in Canada?? I have always heard that mobile homes are built with less insulation than the average house in order to save money.
When I owned one there wasn't much insulation in the floor area for sure. We had it moved and the pipes broke, so I had to go under the home and fix them. It didn't take much effort to get to the pipes. We put skirting around the base to protect against wind, but it still seemed like the floors were cold.
My brother lived in one for 30 years, but he had to add some kind of insulation board to the underside. Eventually he added a small stove of some sort. I think it used pellets of some sort. It kept the place quite warm.
I have a cheap old mobile home, 12x50, I think. It really rocks in the 80 km/hr winds that slam through the valley. With almost no insulation. A water pipe froze last year but it did not break (?). I have added a little insulation under the pipes. My furnace was threatening to blow up. The replacement was more than my written off Forza.

I am thinking of putting some lights on the sides of my front Forza fender. Would flood lights be better than your spot lights? I just want people to be able to see me better.

It is 5C right now. I need to do laundry and a lot of dish washing. The stinking little poodle needs a walk. Sunset is in 4 hours (4:07 pm). I might ride over to McDonalds for an extra large double double $1 coffee.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

It is snowing right now here in Georgia. There are 3 inches on the ground in a state that might have 3 snow plows for the entire state.People drive like idiots on good days, so imagine what they are driving like now. Either they want to see how fast they can go in snow, or they drive so slow that I could walk faster.

As far as lights on your bike go spot lights work better than flood lights. I have a flood light on the right side of my bike in the front, and a spot light on the left side. I use the flood light to light up the ditch essentially. It works OK at that, but others have put duel spot lights on. Just aim them down enough that they won't bother oncoming drivers.
Also buy some smaller LED lights just to make you more visible as well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:
I spent a few years of working with the elderly. To live to be 85 living in a nursing home is definitely NOT one of my goals. I saw too many people doing that. It stinks and the quality of life was really bad for a lot of them.

At age 58 and with no family, I intend to have as much fun as I can in the next few years. If I wait for perfect weather I may die waiting. There is no such thing as bad weather, only wearing the wrong clothing said a famous adventurer. I agree.

Management of risks is a fine line, its called living. I sometimes ride through 20 minutes of rain to come upon great weather at the other side. Other times I just get wet all day. I'd rather get wet than die of boredom.

I couldn’t agree more.
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by MBMyer »

Mel46 wrote: For night time road visibility I have two Kawell spot lights.
<snip>
https://www.amazon.com/KAWELL-Light-Lig ... ell+lights
In the pictures at Amazon, the bulbs look yellow. Are the lights perceived as white or amber?

Thanks,
Michael
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I got an anti-fog insert for my HJC CL-17 at a local dealer for $20 and it's the best thing ever. I'm cheap too but I'll take safety over saving money.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
mhdgraphics
Color: Red Forza

Post by mhdgraphics »

What kind of tires do you like for rain riding?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

mhdgraphics wrote:What kind of tires do you like for rain riding?
Michelin City Grip is better than Michelin Power Pure or Dunlop Scootsmart.

The smoothness of the rider matters more. Easy on the throttle and easy on the corners. Staying warm also helps. You are probably going to get a little wet even with good gear.

The tires are way better in the rain than you think possible but take it easy anyway just in case.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

GeorgeSK,

I received the lights that you showed that link to. I installed them on the mirror stems. They work nicely. Pretty bright, though nowhere near as bright as the Kawells.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Cool! I would think they would be more to make us more visible than to actually provide useful riding light, so "pretty bright" is hopefully OK. I wish I knew enough electronics to put in a little modulation circuit to make the lights pulse a bit. The eye picks up movement and change better than something static - something that I have noticed when viewing an oncoming bicycle with a blinking headlight vs. a static one.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

New lights plus Kawells-2.jpg
New lights plus Kawells-2.jpg (202.57 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
Here is a picture I just took in our basement with just the new handlebar lights plus the Kawell fender lights on. With the bike running the regular lights look quite dim compared to these. I also have some baby strobe lights on the windshield and under the fender, just for night use.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Vancouver Motorcycle Show next weekend. I started up the the Forza and let it idle till it was up to full temperature. No problems. I have started shovelling the snow from shed to the driveway. Too much ice.

I have no intention of riding the Forza to the show. Too far and gets dark too early. Vancouver show is 60 km from Vancouver. It should be renamed. And the Forza isn't a 300. Too much bs in the world.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Do some research. If you put an engine to bed for the winter, leave it sleep. Starting it occasionally just adds condensation to the oil. It takes a good 20 minute run to get rid of it all, if you’re not gonna do that, leave it alone.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I intend to ride the scooter in the next week.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I was just in Chilliwack Sunday picking up a tent trailer and was thinking of you going through Hope. It was sunny and 8C out, I would've been out riding all day.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

On my Iron Butt lap of Lake Superior, the last 400 miles was in sideways rain. My Forza shod with City Grips held firm and stuck like glue. # Verypleased
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

dkazzed wrote:I was just in Chilliwack Sunday picking up a tent trailer and was thinking of you going through Hope. It was sunny and 8C out, I would've been out riding all day.
I still have pneumonia. Getting better but not cured by any means.

I also need to shovel the snow in a path from my shed to my driveway. Hope is just a little colder than Chilliwack for it to be a bigger problem.

Soon, if I don't die first. Been reading the news of famous people dying lately. Too many cases list "Pneumonia" as the cause of death. I should quit reading the news.

Vancouver Motorcycle Show this weekend.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Jge64 wrote:Do some research. If you put an engine to bed for the winter, leave it sleep. Starting it occasionally just adds condensation to the oil. It takes a good 20 minute run to get rid of it all, if you’re not gonna do that, leave it alone.

No it doesn't.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Black ones.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong