Just had my 300 valdalized...

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mhdgraphics
Year: 2014
Color: Red Forza

Just had my 300 valdalized...

Post by mhdgraphics »

I'm feeling real sick right now. Some jerk(s) tried to steal my '14 Forza.
About 9pm this evening I looked out my apartment window (as I usually do before bed) and saw my parking space empty (except for the rain cover on the floor).

Got dressed and went outside. Got to the from of the apartment complex and checked with the security guard. He did not see anyone leave with the bike. We drove around the back of the complex and back near a shed, we found the bike.

The perps had jimmied the front cover and broke the steering lock.

Oddly, all my tools were sitting on the seat, including a USB charging brick. I called the police and filed a report. Also filed a claim with my insurance online. Now I have to wait until morning to check with local Honda dealer to see how much its going to cost to get this fixed.

Sorry for the rant but I feel a little better now.
Next time: Alarm & disc brake lock (& cameras...)
Attachments
damaged front cover
damaged front cover
damage_1.jpg (162.93 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Just had my 300 valdalized...

Post by easyrider »

It appears at this point the ignition system held up and prevented a drive away.Nothing was stolen,and the final result was your Forza was vandalized .Replacing some plastic and a new ignition shouldn't be too bad.Depending on your deductible ..good luck.By the way,if you could see your bike from your window,why not set up a security camera looking down on it all the time.If they come back you might be able to ID the culprit
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Awwww man, sorry for your pain & hassle. A thief is a #$%^&)*_(.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

The thieves probably thought they were getting a Hayabusa and gave up when they found out it was a scooter.

I had an old crap car stolen and then abandoned in the city of Vancouver. Some New Years drunks needed a ride. Someone slashed the tires of a dozen cars on the Vancouver street where my car was. I had to buy two new tires that costs more than I paid for the Datsun car.

Be good to your children so that they don't turn into thieves.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

"Be good to your children so that they don't turn into thieves."

Some kids turn into thieves BECAUSE the parents were too good to them. I know of several cases in which the parents gave their kid whatever he/she wanted, never making them responsible for anything. The kids reached a point where if they wanted something, They just took it, expecting the parents to deal with the consequences, which they did. Now that "kid" is in jail.

You see, when you reach a certain age you become responsible for your own actions, and the court is not going to ask the parents to make restitution for something that grown child did. Nope. They are just going to throw that dumbed up grownup in jail.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
mhdgraphics

Post by mhdgraphics »

easyrider wrote:It appears at this point the ignition system held up and prevented a drive away.Nothing was stolen,and the final result was your Forza was vandalized .Replacing some plastic and a new ignition shouldn't be too bad.Depending on your deductible ..good luck.By the way,if you could see your bike from your window,why not set up a security camera looking down on it all the time.If they come back you might be able to ID the culprit
Nothing was stolen? What about my ability to use my scooter? The money I have to put out to get it fixed? The time lost? (the shop can't get me in till next week) The money I have to put out during this time on alternate transportation, which is the city bus...

I have been trying to get a webcam working in the window but the low-cost ones don't have the resolution or low light capability I need (IR justs reflects back from the window so is usless). I can't afford a $300 camera.

I will be looking into a "radar" sensor so that the bike can sense when someone gets near it and sends me a message on my phone as well as blast the eardrums off the perp...
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

How about a better parking place? Anything secure around where you live? Out of sight is better.
mhdgraphics

Post by mhdgraphics »

davenowherejones wrote:How about a better parking place? Anything secure around where you live? Out of sight is better.
True. Everything at the apartment complex I'm at are open parking. Some apartments in upscale areas have separate garages but I can't afford those.

I offered my apartment management to build my own cycle garage but they declined...
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:"Be good to your children so that they don't turn into thieves."

Some kids turn into thieves BECAUSE the parents were too good to them. I know of several cases in which the parents gave their kid whatever he/she wanted, never making them responsible for anything. The kids reached a point where if they wanted something, They just took it, expecting the parents to deal with the consequences, which they did. Now that "kid" is in jail.

You see, when you reach a certain age you become responsible for your own actions, and the court is not going to ask the parents to make restitution for something that grown child did. Nope. They are just going to throw that dumbed up grownup in jail.
Can't take credit for this. Read it over on the Burgman forum -- a place filled with old geezers:
"Only two things certain in life - taxes, and the elderly complaining about the young."
Fish
mhdgraphics

Post by mhdgraphics »

After talking to my insurance co (progressive), the mutual consensus is for me to buy the parts and repair it myself. So I disassembled half the bike to get the damaged lock out. Got an order out to Partzilla and should have it 2-3 days after MLK day. Just under $200 for parts plus untold frustration...

But now that its apart, I get some pics of the farkle I added before this all happened- for another post.
Attachments
How they got the steering lock disabled- wish it wasn't cast. Machined would be stronger...
How they got the steering lock disabled- wish it wasn't cast. Machined would be stronger...
20180113_144640smal.jpg (57.27 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
Half the bike and half the Saturday gone.
Half the bike and half the Saturday gone.
20180113_145106small.jpg (110.23 KiB) Viewed 1883 times
mhdgraphics

Post by mhdgraphics »

I did notice that my registration and insurance docs were gone so added ID theft to police report...
Ozpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White

Post by Ozpcx »

I hope the repairs aren't too costly. You had it covered and locked, so you can't do much more. It was just a combination of bad luck and bad people. At least you still have the scoot.
markcap
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by markcap »

Nothing sacred...is there?

Sorry bout the mess. Nobody needs this xxxx in their lives. Ride on!
Markcap
2016 PCX--Dark Candy Red
2016 Forza--Pearl Red
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well, the 'Good' side of this is that you learn how to take your bike apart now.

So here is a small suggestion that a friend of mine did. He drilled a small hole in the concrete, screwed in one of those rods used to tie out a dog, and put kwik-crete in the hole. When it dried he bought a chain that would fit through the hole in the rod, and bolted the chain around the bike with a super lock from Home Depot. Maybe it could be broken, but it would be too much effort for most thieves. Just make sure the weakest point is not the rod. Once it is in, if it is chopped off at the ground, you can't get it out.

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/champ- ... jTEALw_wcB
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

What insurance company do you have? I just went from State Farm to Progressive. I had SF for my auto, scoot but for some reason my 09 Nissan Cube kept going up and up in rates even though no one wants to steal it whatsoever. Its kind of ugly you know.
State Farm has good really good scooter and motorcycle rates but for some reason they do not offer roadside assistance while Progressive does which is a big draw. Its only 10 bucks for one year of roadside help. I deem it a big bargain.
:geek:
fullmetalscooter

Post by fullmetalscooter »

You can always set up a cell phone so you can trace it and just throw it under the seat. I myself use 2 chains that you need big ass tools to cut through. Did some research on youtube and a locksmith recomds a type of chain that is the same thing they make semi snow chains out of. Also they do make disc locks that have alarms on them . I m glad you didn't lose your . I m still checking clist for my stolen scooter 3 years on. i think someone just dumped it in the bush
mhdgraphics

Post by mhdgraphics »

87112 wrote:What insurance company do you have? I just went from State Farm to Progressive. I had SF for my auto, scoot but for some reason my 09 Nissan Cube kept going up and up in rates even though no one wants to steal it whatsoever. Its kind of ugly you know.
State Farm has good really good scooter and motorcycle rates but for some reason they do not offer roadside assistance while Progressive does which is a big draw. Its only 10 bucks for one year of roadside help. I deem it a big bargain.
I have had Progressive since my Burgman crash- and they basically did nothing- and still do nothing.
The Burg didn't have the right coverage they said.
The Forza has $500 deductible, so cheaper for me to do the work myself.

Parts from Partzilla cost me $200 plus a week and a half waiting for delivery...
mhdgraphics

Post by mhdgraphics »

Well I'm back on the road and much better prepared.
Got an Oxford OF38 Boss Disc Lock, A Big A$$ cable and lock to wrap around the rear wheel and a tree at the parking spot, and a security camera in my window to watch it (so I don't have to look out the window every 5 minutes...

Now to get my anxiety level down a bit...
hippysanta

Post by hippysanta »

in uk, the forza300 is acclaimed to be so far impossible to start without keys. hence i picked up a stolen recovered for pennies here due to damage the thieves caused. next time set fire to shed and put full claim in, $500 is steep so might as well get your dollars worth.
mine still isnt finished; need clocks and a couple of other bits replacing. am on a honda majesty 125 uprated to 180. its chained up to a floor ring and i also have one of those toddler alarms that go off if kid is more than 6 feet away from you. alarm bit is in bike and other sensor wrapped and cable tied to security ring.
i liked the phone as a tracker idea but im going to see if i can hide a cheap android notepad on a trickle charge as costs less. Under top box or inside its lid with a cover over it.
I tell lies - ha - I always tell the truth. Thank God i'm not religious. Don't buy air guitars, unlike air guns you get ripped off and end up with an empty box. still waiting for it to arrive.