Battery need a new one??

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Battery need a new one??

Post by Pcxdemon »

I’ve replaced my battery at least 5 years ago now after the original one went bust. I bought Shorai Lithium replacement. In all this time it never went flat, nor I needed to recharge it once. I ride the scooter seldom now maybe once a week if that on a short run about and this battery keeps giving and giving. So if you’re looking to replace a battery than Shorai lithium is highly recommended...
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Re: Battery need a new one??

Post by montliz44 »

Thanks for the tip, Pcxdemon. I'll put them on my list.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Be careful with lithium, they don’t like the cold......

https://www.lithiumpros.com/how-does-co ... batteries/
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Pcxdemon wrote:I’ve replaced my battery at least 5 years ago now after the original one went bust. I bought Shorai Lithium replacement. In all this time it never went flat, nor I needed to recharge it once. I ride the scooter seldom now maybe once a week if that on a short run about and this battery keeps giving and giving. So if you’re looking to replace a battery,then Shorai lithium is highly recommended...
Also, if you replace it with Shorai (trusted) or other Lithium version, get a higher cca upgrade. Cant hurt having more cca on tap..
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Seems scooter (bike) lead acid batteries can be replaced with Lithium ones, but normally, Lithium cells need specific chargers and charging schemes as they suffer from earlier failure if the cut-off point for switching to less charge is not adhered to. Still, if they work, great.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Lithium battery, over 5 years running (no charge top ups) and no signs of demise. Can’t get normal batteries to last that long, 2-3years max if you’re lucky.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

My PCX is nearly four years old, kept outside on the drive and is still on the original battery. Starts 1st time and runs well. Guess there are just some poor batteries from new.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I think it's like anything else. . .use it or lose it.

I believe riding the thing every day is better for the battery. . .keeps it alive. . .than letting it sit for periods of time.

It's the one thing I dislike about snow and salted roads where I live. . .I have to let my scoots and bikes sit until things clear up or otherwise risk rust and corrosion galore. I use my MOPED mostly during the winter because it's mostly plastic (when the roads are not dangerous). But the other machines still look good and I'd like to keep them that way. Occasionally I trickle charge though. Just my 2 cents. 8)
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

PCX150Rider wrote:I think it's like anything else. . .use it or lose it.

I believe riding the thing every day is better for the battery. . .keeps it alive. . .than letting it sit for periods of time.

It's the one thing I dislike about snow and salted roads where I live. . .I have to let my scoots and bikes sit until things clear up or otherwise risk rust and corrosion galore. I use my MOPED mostly during the winter because it's mostly plastic (when the roads are not dangerous). But the other machines still look good and I'd like to keep them that way. Occasionally I trickle charge though. Just my 2 cents. 8)
I can hear what you are saying re:salted roads and corrosion--I live in Northern Illinois where the salt flows freely the winter through. Still, I use my PCX every day (provided the roads are clear) for at least 15 to 20 mins and sometimes longer for no other reason than I love riding. I know the saline slush on the street gets splashed on the nether parts of the bike where said salty slush will do its nasty work, but, to me, it is worth it even if it shortens the life of the machine somewhat. I wonder if leaving it parked in the garage unused for 4 or 5 months is any better for it than salt splash?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I can hear what you are saying re:salted roads and corrosion--I live in Northern Illinois where the salt flows freely the winter through. Still, I use my PCX every day (provided the roads are clear) for at least 15 to 20 mins and sometimes longer for no other reason than I love riding. I know the saline slush on the street gets splashed on the nether parts of the bike where said salty slush will do its nasty work, but, to me, it is worth it even if it shortens the life of the machine somewhat. I wonder if leaving it parked in the garage unused for 4 or 5 months is any better for it than salt splash?
You are indeed a true "rider". . .not just an "enthusiast". ;)

I do ride all my machines throughout the year.

But when it comes to the Bandit and KLR I am kind of picky now because I may end up going to some Vintage meets and when I do I want them to still look good. I probably won't enter them in any competition but I'd like them to be good enough for people to say "Hey. . .why don't you?"

I foresee having the PCX for a long time. . .as long as I can still throw a leg over the saddle and still ride. Parts are widely available and it has a timeless design. I like keeping that one clean as well.

My Genuine Roughhouse. . .it's a different story. It just looks like it's ready to go "off road". . .a bit like the old Yamaha Zuma 50. It gets the job done and serves me well. . .especially for wintery salt treated roads around town. 8)
DCP_1523a.jpg
DCP_1523a.jpg (197.89 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

PCX150Rider wrote:
You are indeed a true "rider". . .not just an "enthusiast". ;)

I do ride all my machines throughout the year.

But when it comes to the Bandit and KLR I am kind of picky now because I may end up going to some Vintage meets and when I do I want them to still look good. I probably won't enter them in any competition but I'd like them to be good enough for people to say "Hey. . .why don't you?"

I foresee having the PCX for a long time. . .as long as I can still throw a leg over the saddle and still ride. Parts are widely available and it has a timeless design. I like keeping that one clean as well.

My Genuine Roughhouse. . .it's a different story. It just looks like it's ready to go "off road". . .a bit like the old Yamaha Zuma 50. It gets the job done and serves me well. . .especially for wintery salt treated roads around town. 8)
DCP_1523a.jpg
I like the looks of that Roughhouse. If I had any room I might go for one...but as of now with 3 motorbikes, two cars, and a bicycle in the garage I have to pass it by.
I can understand your wanting to keep a nice bike looking that way. My PCX is not in the category "nice looking" however. I have dropped it 3 OR 4 times. The large faring whose name I can't recall is cracked and patched in an unsightly manner....so I have no incentive to be too careful not to get it dirty. Of course, I always have a very strong incentive NOT TO DROP IT AGAIN.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Pcxdemon wrote:Lithium battery, over 5 years running (no charge top ups) and no signs of demise. Can’t get normal batteries to last that long, 2-3years max if you’re lucky.
Mine must be running on magic then, still has the factory battery. Nearly 17,000 miles and over 5 years it's still going. Just went for a nice ride the other day, temps down around 20F (that's -6C) and it started right up!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

cessna151 wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:Lithium battery, over 5 years running (no charge top ups) and no signs of demise. Can’t get normal batteries to last that long, 2-3years max if you’re lucky.
Mine must be running on magic then, still has the factory battery. Nearly 17,000 miles and over 5 years it's still going. Just went for a nice ride the other day, temps down around 20F (that's -6C) and it started right up!
Same here - as posted above, no issues after 4 years with my original battery and the bike is outside all year round so puts up with many months of very cold or sometimes below freezing. Normally would not go much more than a 1-2 weeks in winter without being used, and just over 3 in summer.
That said, some people have posted how their batteries failed within a year or so, so as with anything, some bads ones.
The lithium batteries mentioned seem to hold their capacity, but some reviews said they have small and flimsy metal posts compared to other makes - not saying they are not suitable for use, just what I read.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

do you guys have Stop/Start feature in the states? Using that feature on regular basis drastically reduces the life span of the battery. Terminals on the Shorai Battery are same as any other battery, flimsy they're not but i can't say for other brands out there as i never used any others.
WI_Hedgehog