How I ride in Northern Illinois winter

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

How I ride in Northern Illinois winter

Post by flyingzonker »

I am trying to upload a pic but I don't know if it will appear in this message. If not I will come back later and get it in some way.
Attachments
gloves.JPG
gloves.JPG (583.54 KiB) Viewed 817 times
gloves.JPG
gloves.JPG (583.54 KiB) Viewed 817 times
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: How I ride in Northern Illinois winter

Post by flyingzonker »

It is obviously a pro tem arrangement. I have taped the wires to the fuselage of my little red rocket.The operative component of this system is made up of some Gerbing heated glove liners stuffed into a pair of mittens. I have the battery I recently replaced under the seat for power. I keep a battery tender on this little Yuasa YTZ7S 12 volter and all goes well with it so far. It is getting old but "it's not dead yet".
I Find that wearing this power gloves I can ride for hours in the coldest weather with the greatest of ease. The only constraint my winter riding is under anymore is bad traction.
Lafree
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White

Post by Lafree »

Hi , I have the same gloves but use a different supply method a fused wire from bike battery under seat plugs into wire that goes up the back of jacket and down each sleeve I have stitched the lead at bottom of my jacket so I can find it easy, hands warm as toast, how do you lift your visor etc if the gloves are wired on the bars ?.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

I like your idea of sewing the wires into a jacket--it is an elegant solution but I usually wear a bright yellow windbreaker over another padded windbreaker instead of wearing a jacket. This get-up doesn't lend itself to needle and thread. As I said, it is a pro tem alignment of wires and battery, and tape. It works for me and I can't give a damn how it looks; If I were 15...or even 35 it would surely make a difference. But it's been a long long time since I was young enough to care. As for reaching my helmet...the wires are slack enough to allow easily for that. I have no trouble at all with this set up
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

There's always duct tape. :-)
If all else fails, put duct tape inside the jacket to hold the wires... and you can get the duct tape in all sorts of colors!
Ho, Ho Ho. Merry Duct Christmas!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Duct tape? Are you kidding? I've still got some pride....besides, I have to use up my Gorilla tape before I invest in a roll of duct tape. You can't be too frugal in times like these.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

Gorilla Tape is the best tape ever of all time.

That's documented.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Gorilla Tape is the best tape ever of all time.
It's all I buy now for general use (not a substitute for electrical tape though IMHO). Good stuff. Lasts. . .. 8)
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Gorilla tape has saved me more than once...but duct has too. Come to think of it, scotch tape ain't half bad either...and once or twice I have even used masking tape in a pinch to good effect....but yes, the prize goes to Gorilla for holding power.
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

I've posted a few places about my cold weather (14°F) adventures, and list the gear and how-tos.

One thing you most likely don't want to do is sew the wires into the jacket in a manor they cannot be easily removed, as everything goes bad fairly quickly with heated gear due to the constant flexing. It's also nice to be able to pull extra wire out of the jacket, plug the gloves/liners in, then stuff the extra wire back on the jacket.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Interesting windshield arrangement you got there flyingzonker. Would you mind sharing a pic of your scoot that highlights the windshield position.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WI_Hedgehog wrote:I've posted a few places about my cold weather (14°F) adventures, and list the gear and how-tos.

One thing you most likely don't want to do is sew the wires into the jacket in a manor they cannot be easily removed, as everything goes bad fairly quickly with heated gear due to the constant flexing. It's also nice to be able to pull extra wire out of the jacket, plug the gloves/liners in, then stuff the extra wire back on the jacket.

True. Washing the jacket was my first thought.
WI_Hedgehog