Advice for anti theft

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Advice for anti theft

Post by Mel46 »

So it sounds to me like all of the motorcycle thieves are hanging around Germany, so the rest of us must be somewhat safe! Realistically though, it is a scooter in a town that has big cars and motorcycles. What is your real chance of it being stolen there?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Hax
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Post by Hax »

I bought one of these for the PCX as none of the disc locks that I had, fitted the small disc!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iaDubVGnFg

I am pretty pleased with it, although I also have fully comp insurance! Most scooters around here get stolen by teenagers to ride into the ground and then leave in bits (it happened to my wife's Honda Vision, many years ago. They left my Z750 alone. We got in back in a box!). So anything that can confuse and baffle their zombiefied minds will help to keep it safe.
Once worked with a bloke who had his full dressed Goldwing, with the most up to date alarm system, taken from his garden! Couldn't even work out how they had got it out!? Under no illusions that if someone wants it, they will take it.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Just a quickie vid I just looked at. Here, take a lookie @ http://roadlok.com
Like? Dislike?
Gotta go.....
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Dear Jge64,
Do not let anyone fool you that insurance is the best protection and that's it. - it is compulsory, yes, but does not "protect" everything. After having my pcx stolen twice in two year's time i know a bit about it. You will loose quite a bit of money even with insurance. You will loose your VAT from day one, they will devaluate your bike faster than anywhere else, many accessories might not be covered etc etc. To this add the time you will spend running around with papers, and their suspicious looks at you, you will be 30 days on foot before they refund you, etc etc. so your loss might not be as big as without , true, but be to be clear you WILL still will loose cash.

Get a ground anchor and attach the rear wheel with a solid chain to that in your garage. Always attach your bike to something solid, even for 5 minutes. Or learn the hard way. ( oh and don't just attach the front wheel, i've got a nice pic of a pcx front wheel attached to a pole somewhere, - no, not mine)

Forget about brake locks, easy peasy to roll front of bike on a skateboard. or simply lift it- pcx is light enough.

Best
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

It's a Stinkin' Shame
Wow-wee. Maybe these thieving "ideas" should be left unsaid? In our best interest, let's teach something else.
I mean it's good to know-n-all but ... yikes! Good luck to you tomtom, I mean that sincerely.

Wait! I think Harbor Frieght is fixing a sale on Gorilla's, anybody interested? Group buy perhaps? Then we can drop some customized monkey bars over our scoot's and Big G can climb about manning the fort. Hmm.... :roll: now that's my kinda insurance alright, alright, alright
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Guys, listen,

Getting your bike stolen is one of the worst experiences you can have and the closest i've been to want to commit murder- and I'm a calm person. I am just glad we can't carry firearms here because i don't want to find out.

As it's been mentioned here and elsewhere please take every step possible to avoid this to happen to you then cross fingers.

I became rather paranoid after the first one was stolen, but then last summer i went to visit my brother after a long day at work. We had organised this seminar in a creepy area and my bike was attached like fort knox for all day. (Our accountant had is BMW F800GS stolen in that area a year before so i was super careful). Then i went off, my brother lives in a cosy neighbourghood and i thought, f%*k it's safe here, I'm not going trough all the motions of getting the heavy chain out again and attach it, am not staying for long, it's still daylight blablabla. Just the brake disc lock. BIG MISTAKE. An hour later it was gone, and we had been staying at the opened window overlooking the street on 2nd floor almost all the time. Seen nothing, heard nothing.

I had to take a cab to go back home.Then take my wife's car to the police. It was almost midnight by then. Stayed two hours at the police station. Next day you call insurance and you have to make an appointment with an expert.
Wanker insist he want to see you at HOME (i had asked 3 times for him to come at work) so that's it and you have to take half a day off work. Guys comes over on piaggio MP3, leather gear and all, and plays it cool "hey I'm a biker just like you" style- He is cheerful and tries to be funny but what you really feel behind it is that he's trying to fault whathever you say in order not to pay. Cheerful but also threatening: "you do realise we will analyse your key to see if any copy has been made of it?" he says with an aggressive grin- Sure, go ahead - even do a ballistic expertise if you like. Another 3 hours wasted with the same interrogation template you had with the cops.Probably just to find out if versions matches.

Then starts all the bitchin' about the value- it was a strike day the day they stole my bike and I had the second helmet, second pair of gloves, top case etc etc in case i had to drive a colleague. Expert says "that's not covered" - then you argue about your YSS shocks, the PD valves, the malossi , go hunt for all the invoices, scan them, mail them...Just writing about this still makes me sick. I don't wish anyone to go through these motions.

After being reimbursed peanuts compared to the value i was able to find a good S/H pcx. My insurance made me feel as if i was lucky that they still accept to insure me. and then they went something like: "UH,OH what? same color, same year( but not same month you morons) , same model? Uuuuuh you have to come and show us the chassis number". I did that, and had a nice sarcastic laugh enjoying that 1.90 m idiot with his suit crawling on the floor in their garage trying to read the laser engraved serial while i was standing saying: "see? it's there, on the tube next to where the top of shock is attached".

So insure it yes of course, but better be safe and attach your bike, everytime.

Further reading:
https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/co ... h=4a22b1d5
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

tomtomclub2005 wrote:Guys, listen,

Getting your bike stolen is one of the worst experiences you can have and the closest i've been to want to commit murder- and I'm a calm person. I am just glad we can't carry firearms here because i don't want to find out.

As it's been mentioned here and elsewhere please take every step possible to avoid this to happen to you then cross fingers.

I became rather paranoid after the first one was stolen, but then last summer i went to visit my brother after a long day at work. We had organised this seminar in a creepy area and my bike was attached like fort knox for all day. (Our accountant had is BMW F800GS stolen in that area a year before so i was super careful). Then i went off, my brother lives in a cosy neighbourghood and i thought, f%*k it's safe here, I'm not going trough all the motions of getting the heavy chain out again and attach it, am not staying for long, it's still daylight blablabla. Just the brake disc lock. BIG MISTAKE. An hour later it was gone, and we had been staying at the opened window overlooking the street on 2nd floor almost all the time. Seen nothing, heard nothing.

I had to take a cab to go back home.Then take my wife's car to the police. It was almost midnight by then. Stayed two hours at the police station. Next day you call insurance and you have to make an appointment with an expert.
Wanker insist he want to see you at HOME (i had asked 3 times for him to come at work) so that's it and you have to take half a day off work. Guys comes over on piaggio MP3, leather gear and all, and plays it cool "hey I'm a biker just like you" style- He is cheerful and tries to be funny but what you really feel behind it is that he's trying to fault whathever you say in order not to pay. Cheerful but also threatening: "you do realise we will analyse your key to see if any copy has been made of it?" he says with an aggressive grin- Sure, go ahead - even do a ballistic expertise if you like. Another 3 hours wasted with the same interrogation template you had with the cops.Probably just to find out if versions matches.

Then starts all the bitchin' about the value- it was a strike day the day they stole my bike and I had the second helmet, second pair of gloves, top case etc etc in case i had to drive a colleague. Expert says "that's not covered" - then you argue about your YSS shocks, the PD valves, the malossi , go hunt for all the invoices, scan them, mail them...Just writing about this still makes me sick. I don't wish anyone to go through these motions.

After being reimbursed peanuts compared to the value i was able to find a good S/H pcx. My insurance made me feel as if i was lucky that they still accept to insure me. and then they went something like: "UH,OH what? same color, same year( but not same month you morons) , same model? Uuuuuh you have to come and show us the chassis number". I did that, and had a nice sarcastic laugh enjoying that 1.90 m idiot with his suit crawling on the floor in their garage trying to read the laser engraved serial while i was standing saying: "see? it's there, on the tube next to where the top of shock is attached".

So insure it yes of course, but better be safe and attach your bike, everytime.

Further reading:
https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/co ... h=4a22b1d5

Ah well, as long as you keep your positive attitude I'm sure it'll all just be a distant memory.
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

I might be in for a gorilla alarm.
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Yes TomTom, it's heartbreaking to have your scooter stolen,
especially if the folks who are supposed to be helping you get over your loss act like you're trying to scam them.

But this, too, passes. At this point I've got as many miles on my new blue one as I had on the stolen white one and I like it better. ...And I keep it very well locked.
WI_Hedgehog