A Salute to Veterans

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

A Salute to Veterans

Post by PCX150Rider »

In the U.S. we are recognizing the personal sacrifice and effort that those who served in our military provided over the years. We call it "Veterans Day".

I know that other countries celebrate and give thanks to those who stepped up to the plate and served them in times of strife as well.

So I'd like to thank the Veterans for their service and sincerely hope a day will come when we can all live in peace and freedom around the world and an end will come to violence and war. 8)

Time to ride. . .cold as it is. . .ride to live. . .live to ride. ;)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: A Salute to Veterans

Post by WhiteNoise »

Beautifully said
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

X2.
I am a veteran, but I have always tried to help people rather than harm, though I know that there are many, many situations in the violent world where violence is necessary. My first go around in the military, during Vietnam, I was a medic. After I got out of the Air Force I went into the Coast Guard, aviation search and rescue. No matter how many lives I helped save, there were always the ones I couldn't. I am sure that the same feelings apply for those in the military who fought to save others, and could not save them all. Many of those soldiers went on to become firemen, policemen, emts, nurses etc. Mankind helping mankind is far better than someone deciding that he or she is far superior to the rest of mankind, and treating them as such.

I applaud the bravery and dedication of every human being who has tried to help the downtrodden and abused.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:X2.
I am a veteran. Mankind helping mankind is far better than someone deciding that he or she is far superior to the rest of mankind, and treating them as such.
Hats off to you Mel. A million miles away from the simplistic bullshit.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Yesterday some guy in line behind me at a stop light left his car, ran up and rapped on my window screaming THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! Scared the crap out of me, you just don't do that in my town. Relieved he wasn't totally mental I remembered the decal on my tailgate but that was the first time someone made such an extraordinary effort to thank this old soldier in traffic. Next time I will be a little more aware of such things I hope.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Yesterday some guy in line behind me at a stop light left his car, ran up and rapped on my window screaming THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE! Scared the crap out of me, you just don't do that in my town. Relieved he wasn't totally mental I remembered the decal on my tailgate but that was the first time someone made such an extraordinary effort to thank this old soldier in traffic. Next time I will be a little more aware of such things I hope.
It was nice of the guy to do that. . .slightly crazy. . .but nonetheless a positive gesture of appreciation. 8)

I find myself always thanking Vets for their service as well. Although I wasn't in that long myself due to a medical discharge I still feel that they appreciate the fact that at least I tried. ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I think making an effort counts. If you go in with the intention of doing your best, in any organization, then I think you deserve a pat on the back for making the effort.

Unfortunately, I knew some soldiers who tried for a medical discharge right after boot camp because they were disillusioned. I don't know what they expected but the military is not some boys club that you can quit because you don't like the rules.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Rules? Sounds like this woman

Funny movie indeed!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I don't know what they expected but the military is not some boys club that you can quit because you don't like the rules.
Know what you mean. I saw some quite awkward stuff. Not everyone has the mindset or character to deal with a military way of life. The sad thing is that some of the recruits were basically living on the streets before they volunteered and I think they may have gone in with the idea of 3 squares a day and a place to call home. Once they started into the regimental life style the filtering process began and the ones who couldn't handle it were beginning to show signs of stress and regret. I'll leave it there. . .. :geek:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

WN - Another memorable vid. Private Benjamin was great. . .talk about rain! :lol:

And let us not forget. . .

A JELLY DOUGHNUT! o_O

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yep, that's another PCX150Rider ;) Embarrassed. Then later on, :? stuff happens
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX150Rider wrote:WN - Another memorable vid. Private Benjamin was great. . .talk about rain! :lol:

And let us not forget. . .

A JELLY DOUGHNUT! o_O

FMJ. One off my favourite movies ever.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

You hear about life imitating art, but in the military it is the opposite. I went through 2 boot camps. To me they were fun, but that was because I came from a military family and then went to an 'institution' that was run like the military. I had done most of what boot camp was about before I went into the military.

It was fun to watch the recruits who didn't know their left from their right, and those who had never run a day in their life.
That is not to say that I was always happy with life in the military. After 12 and 1/2 years in the military i got fed up with everything being about the officers, and I was an E-6, so I wasn't low on the enlisted totem pole.

I was up for promotion to E-7 but when I asked for some adjustment in my working schedule so that I could finish college at night, they laughed. However, when an officer asked for adjustments so he could get his master's degree, they bend over backwards for him. I decided that it was time for me to think about my future, so I left at the end of my enlistment and went back to college full time. I am glad that I did, though I enjoyed my time in the military.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I was up for promotion to E-7 but when I asked for some adjustment in my working schedule so that I could finish college at night, they laughed. However, when an officer asked for adjustments so he could get his master's degree, they bend over backwards for him. I decided that it was time for me to think about my future, so I left at the end of my enlistment and went back to college full time. I am glad that I did, though I enjoyed my time in the military.
The thing about officers is that a lot of their evaluation is done based on how they command and get the troops to perform. You can't sail a ship without a crew. So there are various forces at play when it comes to privilege (rank has it's privilege). I don't compare it to the "class struggle" but at the end of the day one of the things that I think enlisted and lower echelon officers fear is being under the command of an individual who moved up through fouling up. Sometimes it's more difficult to improve your status and rank when you are doing such an excellent job that your senior officers don't want to let you go for fear of getting a foul up for your replacement. Hence the quickest way to get rid of the foul up is to promote them somewhere else. So Mel, you must have been doing a really good job! 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I was over qualified in everything.

Even though I was enlisted I had "stick time" on the helicopters. I was the head of the aircraft electrical shop, plus I was qualified in various positions on every type of aircraft the Coast Guard had. When it was time for flights they always needed a crew. That meant that I was always on one flight crew or another, plus running the shop for any electrical problem on the various aircraft, plus I had a Quality Control stamp for all electrical work done. I also helped change out jet engines.

Plus there was one particular helo that required a radioman/navigator as well as a flight mechanic. I was qualified for both positions. I also flew as the dropmaster on the C-130. So I was working 86 hours a week. You can get burned out quickly.

However, one day I looked ahead to retirement and saw that I was not prepared. You can not work on civilian aircraft without certification, no matter how much you know. So I decided what I wanted to do and went after it.

Everyone was ready to give me what I asked for, including another base in Alaska, except the base I was stationed at, and they refused to transfer me because they were short on personnel. When I left that base (read: left the service) the planes started falling out of the sky. Within 3 months they had 3 fatal crashes, all attributed to mechanical error. There were zero accidents at my base while I was there. It could be coincidental.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

superandyp
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by superandyp »

That is one exciting and fulfilling career Mel. I understand the frustration with hierarchy. Although I have never been in the forces, working in industry can feel suppressive. I have learned the hard way that self worth and confidence comes from within and we make our own opportunities (a little luck thrown in helps). Leaving at the end of your enlistment to pursue your preferred path takes courage. Respect to you.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The one thing that I never expected was that after college I eventually ended up working for the company that manufactured the C-130s that I flew in.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150