Remove(increase) Rev limit

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Remove(increase) Rev limit

Post by alx123 »

https://www.facebook.com/71568123856931 ... ater&ifg=1

To those who have Facebook accounts please click the link. I'm sorry I cannot find the video from another places, nor can I save and share it here..

I think what they're doing here is remove/increase the rev limit in the ECU.

This is quiet cheap for only about $40.

Thoughts? Is this worth it? 8)
Attachments
21686313_1072424836228285_5324750313955533058_n.jpg
21686313_1072424836228285_5324750313955533058_n.jpg (127.7 KiB) Viewed 6436 times
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: Remove(increase) Rev limit

Post by PCX150Rider »

For the few months that I've had my PCX now I find the stock performance more than adequate for a 153cc machine. I've had it up to 60 MPH and TBH that is about as fast as I want to go on it due to the tire size and suspension basically. I could ride it if it did 70 MPH but I'd rather be on a bigger scooter or motorcycle. For what it's designed for I think the PCX checks most of the boxes so to speak. A more comfortable seat would be a plus for sure but all in all I wouldn't find removing the rev limit on my PCX to any real advantage. I guess it's easier for me to say that because I already own a bigger motorcycle for highways. I see where Yamaha is selling the XMax in the U.S. now for 2018 in White only. . .. Being a 300 it would allow for higher speeds but it is also 100 lbs heavier and would get about 25 MPG less (roughly). Sounds like the "ccitis" is creeping in. It comes down to a decision to make the leap to a bigger machine or squeeze every drop of performance out of what you have now. 8)
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

I agree with you here. The reason why I haven't even tried the racing variators being sold cheaply here in Thailand.

But I have a dream of putting bigger tires on my PCX so to compensate, an aftermarket variator might be advisable and also increasing the rev limit.

But then again, i also like the new xmax 300, and the wife seems to be smitten by it as well.

But practically, the pcx tick all the boxes of city riding. It is just human nature to want something bigger, better. Lol
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

alx123 wrote: Thoughts? Is this worth it? 8)
Rev limiters are there for a reason; removing them subjects the engine to much higher square-law forces and wear. So the potential downside is increased engine wear (at best) and catastrophic engine failure (at worst) (and by "catastrophic" I'm meaning things like "con rod through the side of the crank case kinda stuff").

Wouldn't touch mods like this with a barge pole personally. In this country it would also most likely invalidate both insurance and warrant of fitness.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

alx123 wrote:I have a dream of putting bigger tires on my PCX so to compensate, an aftermarket variator might be advisable and also increasing the rev limit.

But then again, i also like the new xmax 300, and the wife seems to be smitten by it as well.

But practically, the pcx tick all the boxes of city riding. It is just human nature to want something bigger, better. Lol
I've found the answer for you ... :)
Attachments
123.JPG
123.JPG (93.15 KiB) Viewed 6418 times
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Power starts to drop off before the redline, given that I don't see the benefit of the device. You could add stiffer valve springs to avoid valve float above the factory redline. But still no benefit from it.

I do wonder what the potential redline limit is of the PCX.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

TheMaverick wrote:
alx123 wrote:I have a dream of putting bigger tires on my PCX so to compensate, an aftermarket variator might be advisable and also increasing the rev limit.

it might be just a comprehension problem on your part but yeah I would love to own that. But I will still keep the scooter. :lol:

A+ for the effort
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

alx123 wrote:it might be just a comprehension problem on your part but yeah I would love to own that. But I will still keep the scooter. :lol:

A+ for the effort
Oh yes - me too. If I owned a Fireblade then I'd be able to put a sticker on my PCX that said "My other bike is a Fireblade" :D
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Gil wrote:Power starts to drop off before the redline, given that I don't see the benefit of the device. You could add stiffer valve springs to avoid valve float above the factory redline. But still no benefit from it.

I do wonder what the potential redline limit is of the PCX.

Gil
We used to put racing CDI's on our 110 and 125 cc manual gear mopeds to increase the rev limit just for fun. Your'e right, the mod usually comes with other mods like bigger carburetors, bigger valves, stiffer valve springs, bigger capacitors in the ignition line, and modified camshaft for the effect in performance to be significant. Removing the rev limiter alone won't make any difference, it will only let you max the bike's rpm in lower gears. A little increase in top end due to the maximized lower gears shifting, but nothing significant.

Probably not gonna be so significant in a stock PCX engine too. imo
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

What I have found with the NCY mods that I have on my wife's PCX is that even though the max speed has been boosted to 75 mph running at that speed for any length of time on the freeways tends to make the bike 'float' since it is so light. That might be OK for short distances but if I were going to us a bike on a high speed road for any length of time, say going to and from work, I would buy a larger bike.
The real advantage of the NCY setup is on hills, where your speed would normally drop dangerously when you are in traffic. I recently took her bike out in traffic just to keep the oil moving and the tires from going flat, so to speak. We have some crowded streets here that have some steep inclines. Cars do not appreciate slow moving mopeds here, and some have even been 'bumped' off of the road. Her PCX kept right up with traffic, even on the hills.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Something new, something blue, . . .. Well maybe not old or borrowed. It's definitely not an Alx123Special. :lol:

Lotta laughs in this vid. . .had to post it. Amusing indeed. I almost bought a KYMCO Like 200i once. . .but for the seat. This is a whole different animal. 8)

megalodon
Regular User
Regular User
Color: pearl blue

Post by megalodon »

i generally ride my pcx 150 around 50 55 mph between i don't do speed much or fast rides..but let me say something, this rev limit is ruin everything..let me try to explain; sorry for english;

i was riding my pcx "downhill" on a double lane split road, i started to overtaking a long truck , during i'm overtaking it my speed increased around 65+ (almost near of the revlimiter)..same time another truck started overtaking after me.by the way i'm overtaking truck increased it speed too becuase of downhill ..but behind me truck was pushing me to go faster because it was thinking i will do overtake easily , but whatever i did i couldn't because rev limiter was blocking me to go faster.i was fighting on pcx for i can go faster, i was moving forward backward with rev limiter...i did full throttle slowly i tried everything to handle with rev limiter.. but 65 67 mph around rev limit kept to block me..i did signal flashing all and i did tried to let the truck behind me to know that i can't go faster ..Thx God he did brakes on and gave me space till i complete my overtake..

short way to say...at some conditions inside this rev limiter really playing with human life..i hated it..i don't like speed but sometimes we really need to go faster .
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Playing with human llife? The PCX is a commuter scooter, not a highway speed machine. Seems silly even trying to keep up with lorries and other traffic at anywhere near the PCX top speed. Maybe consider 50-60+ of the PCX as a means to overtake when needed and not a cruise speed. It can be used on fast main roads and such, but it's not designed for that environment.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

megalodon wrote:i generally ride my pcx 150 around 50 55 mph between i don't do speed much or fast rides..but let me say something, this rev limit is ruin everything..let me try to explain; sorry for english;

i was riding my pcx "downhill" on a double lane split road, i started to overtaking a long truck , during i'm overtaking it my speed increased around 65+ (almost near of the revlimiter)..same time another truck started overtaking after me.by the way i'm overtaking truck increased it speed too becuase of downhill ..but behind me truck was pushing me to go faster because it was thinking i will do overtake easily , but whatever i did i couldn't because rev limiter was blocking me to go faster.i was fighting on pcx for i can go faster, i was moving forward backward with rev limiter...i did full throttle slowly i tried everything to handle with rev limiter.. but 65 67 mph around rev limit kept to block me..i did signal flashing all and i did tried to let the truck behind me to know that i can't go faster ..Thx God he did brakes on and gave me space till i complete my overtake..

short way to say...at some conditions inside this rev limiter really playing with human life..i hated it..i don't like speed but sometimes we really need to go faster .
You need an aftermarket Variator, my top speed on a downhill is 74mph. The engine has the same rev limit. I have the full NCY kit.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by Slowinitdown »

I wondered this, with CVT transmission are we not limited by when the belt is all the way out on the variator? As in that's as fast as you will go regardless of what revs?
power-full
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010
Color: preta

Post by power-full »

hi my jf28 is with kit kits (see photo) of factory cut there in the house of the 110kh + - with variator of the multivariate malossi 2000 and rollers of 13gr cut in the house of 126kh + -, with kitac material is doing the cut in the house of 140kh, have not tuned the part of the inverter hope to make this weekend, but one thing is certain straight becomes.It is difficult now to get to the motor rotation cut.
https://www.facebook.com/sergiofininho
Pcx powerfull kit yuminashi 168cc
93000km 23.03.2022 dont stop..
megalodon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by megalodon »

iceman wrote:Playing with human llife? The PCX is a commuter scooter, not a highway speed machine. Seems silly even trying to keep up with lorries and other traffic at anywhere near the PCX top speed. Maybe consider 50-60+ of the PCX as a means to overtake when needed and not a cruise speed. It can be used on fast main roads and such, but it's not designed for that environment.

i guess u should got it easily what i mean human life..right? well;

i have 8 years experience on a scooter and i "exactly know" what is scooter dude..thx for class..someday if u found out urself inside a bad situation remember these words u typed here..as like "silly".it was not my fault a truck comes after me suddenly..also another truck hill down increased speed illegal..everything is not in our hands in traffic..
megalodon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by megalodon »

Gil wrote:
megalodon wrote:i generally ride my pcx 150 around 50 55 mph between i don't do speed much or fast rides..but let me say something, this rev limit is ruin everything..let me try to explain; sorry for english;

You need an aftermarket Variator, my top speed on a downhill is 74mph. The engine has the same rev limit. I have the full NCY kit.

Gil
thank you being kind Gil, i guess i need it too. sometimes luck is not with us.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

megalodon wrote:
iceman wrote:Playing with human llife? The PCX is a commuter scooter, not a highway speed machine. Seems silly even trying to keep up with lorries and other traffic at anywhere near the PCX top speed. Maybe consider 50-60+ of the PCX as a means to overtake when needed and not a cruise speed. It can be used on fast main roads and such, but it's not designed for that environment.
i guess u should got it easily what i mean human life..right? well;
i have 8 years experience on a scooter and i "exactly know" what is scooter dude..thx for class..someday if u found out urself inside a bad situation remember these words u typed here..as like "silly".it was not my fault a truck comes after me suddenly..also another truck hill down increased speed illegal..everything is not in our hands in traffic..
It wasn't meant as a diss to your situation, just Honda produced an urban scooter with a known speed limit and max speed so for it not to wizz away once at the top end of it's range and describing Honda's design as playing with human life was not really on. Like anything, it has design limits and for a small wheeled and lightweight vehicle is far, far better than most if not all the equivalent commuter scooters out there.
As others mentioned, it's got some form of limiter to protect the engine and perhaps help meet the regulations for class of vehicle and bhp.