What has been your longest continual ride on the PCX?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: What has been your longest continual ride on the PCX?

Post by easyrider »

Matter of opinion I suppose, but most on this page seem to think its not for distance.. or for the highways ..and I agree.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

I don't think it was about any limitations. It was addressing comforts on a long distance trip.I personally think that based on its weight, size ,and seat design a long trip would be uncomfortable and the wind will be taxing to a rider in most cases. A 2 wheel bicycle is also limitless .
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:I don't think it was about any limitations. It was addressing comforts on a long distance trip.I personally think that based on its weight, size ,and seat design a long trip would be uncomfortable and the wind will be taxing to a rider in most cases. A 2 wheel bicycle is also limitless .

I think most bicycles might be two wheeled.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I gcan say that when we did our long distance riding we did most of it at between 45 and 55 mph. Back country roads are great rides on them. Freeway riding is not. The advantage of this little scooter is that you can take it in the city, but if you desire some leisurely distance riding, it can do that too. Notice that I said leisurely, not high speed distance riding. I had a Burgman 400 that was exceptional for distance riding, but bulky in town. In short, you can do anything on these scooters, but if your objective is long distance rides, get a bigger scooter. I took the 5 state ride on both the PCX, and the Burgman 400. (We have done the ride multiple times now.) It was much better on the Burgman. A 100 mile ride on the PCX is easy. A 500 mile ride on the PCX is a bit tougher, unless you stop often. The maximum distance for our particular year-model is 144 miles, plus a bit. We would have to stop for fuel, so we took a break during that time to stretch and get something to munch on. Then we got on the road again and were refreshed.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Mel46 wrote:I gcan say that when we did our long distance riding we did most of it at between 45 and 55 mph. Back country roads are great rides on them. Freeway riding is not. The advantage of this little scooter is that you can take it in the city, but if you desire some leisurely distance riding, it can do that too. Notice that I said leisurely, not high speed distance riding. I had a Burgman 400 that was exceptional for distance riding, but bulky in town. In short, you can do anything on these scooters, but if your objective is long distance rides, get a bigger scooter. I took the 5 state ride on both the PCX, and the Burgman 400. (We have done the ride multiple times now.) It was much better on the Burgman. A 100 mile ride on the PCX is easy. A 500 mile ride on the PCX is a bit tougher, unless you stop often. The maximum distance for our particular year-model is 144 miles, plus a bit. We would have to stop for fuel, so we took a break during that time to stretch and get something to munch on. Then we got on the road again and were refreshed.
I find riding long distances to be a great cathartic for me. I plan my trips so that I can stop ever hour or two. I also take camping gear and plan places to stay. It's not for everyone, but I find it to be healing.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

I agree , the Burgman was very bulky in town, and the PCX is more nimble and actually more fun to ride, however I think it is based on a southeast asian dynamic where there are lots of scooters and less cars and speeds are urbanlike ie less than 45 and mostly in the 30 mph range , however capable of occasional jouts up to and above 55mph. The size seems to be consistent with the Asian mindset and body size. Small seat for small asses and generally smaller folks and for short city commutes. They are built in Thailand (I think) and they probably get most of their design input from the local folks there.I think their market target is for conjested cities like Rome , Amsterdam , Bankok, Saigon,college campii, and the like. High speed interstates found here in the US(although doable with the PCX) would require a heavier machine in my opinion.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

About 70 miles or so was my longest trip on my PCX and I only did it once.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

I get blown around on the chopper too, you get used to it and subconsciously adjust. At least you have a fairing/windshield...

Squirrel did 35 miles on the way home from the dealer (first time driving two wheels in the U.S.) and it went fine (now it's winter in the Northern States). Compared to the chopper the PCX is a dream, just a little slower. The 14" wheels are so much better than 12" on other scooters, and the suspension is so soft (as is the seat). Everything is so smooth and quiet, and the bike looks so good! For what it is the power is awesome, as is the fuel economy. Others have said this is a mid-level machine due to no ABS and engine size, but in the U.S. I think for the size (50cc), reliability, and price range it's the best we have.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

About 70 miles. . .non-stop round trip through back roads and two lane state road. About 50 MPH top speed for about half the ride and around 30 - 40 MPH for the rest of it. Handled hills well with enough throttle to compensate accordingly. Have done the same route a number of times and know what to expect so it's a great diversion on days when I just want to get away for a while. ;)

I think that's about as far as I'd want to go on it. :geek:

Anything longer and I'd opt for my motorcycles. 8)
Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by Slowinitdown »

50miles on the Pcx 125cc for me including duel carriageway. Only 3 weeks into owning though.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

I've had lots of fun long rides. I think my longest day was around 800 miles. My first PCX's miles were probably 80-90% racked up from day trips of 200-400 miles though. My current PCX is mostly commuting and local miles though -- it's hard to get out for a 18 hour long ride with the kiddos being so young at home.

Here's one of my favorite trips. It was around 400 miles, some great pictures and memories in there: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2436
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

MD - Thanks for sharing the pics of your trip. Your dog knows how to have fun! :lol:

I remember visiting a place called "Hard Labor Creek" State Park in GA some years back. You could rent peddle boats and canoes. The water was quite warm. . .real warm. Compared to where I live it's a very different climate. You probably have already visited Helen, GA at some point but if you haven't I recommend it. Things to do, food to eat, and tubes to rent for a ride on the Chattahoochee River. :D

Congratulations for doing an 800 miler. Talk about sun up to sun down eh? Have done some riding like that on a motorcycle but never a scooter. That deserves a trophy. ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

How is Maddie?
LeewardCoast
Year: 2018

Post by LeewardCoast »

I’ve done a couple of all day rides. Fun bike at 50 mph or less. I usually stop every 45 minutes to give my butt a break and get a drink. That seat is brutal.
Additional Bikes:
Suzuki Burgman 650
Suzuki V-Strom 650
Honda Shadow 750 ACE
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't think I could do the long trips again, but I always love reviewing that ride Maddiedog posted. The pictures are so great, and Maddie just seems so at home on the tunnel bag. When I came over to visit Dave I was able to see firsthand Maddie jumping up onto her riding position. She is soooo cute!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Let me know about your longest ride on the PCX and how you liked or disliked it.
Exactly 107 miles, not too awful for a retired guy on medicare. Actually, I feel seriously blessed to be able to ride now.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Probably about 35 miles (each way to work), so you could say 70 miles. Done that about 10 times since I bought the bike.

Not bad for 68 - am retiring next spring and moving to my wife's hometown in Florida, so hope to do some day trips down there, with her on her PCX. :)
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

My longest ride has been from Santa Cruz County, CA to Santa Ana, south of Los Angeles, CA. It was about 420 miles and took less than 12 hours. I took as many side roads as I could muster along Highway 101, sometimes I just took the highway. It took my time and took breaks when tired. I stopped at a specialty coffee shop in Santa Barbara although I don't remember the name of the place now, some great coffee though. A couple days later I rode back along the same route. I will definitely do it again next year.

Gil
Attachments
Screenshot_20170728-223023.png
Screenshot_20170728-223023.png (294.88 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
recutibi
Year: 2014

Post by recutibi »

Hi, maddiedog! I ride a very similar (white) PCX, having a very similar (but black...) dog. How do you "fix" the dog to your scooter? Or how do you propose should be the best way to transport a 10kg, very "active" dog?

Regards from Poland!
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Gil wrote:My longest ride has been from Santa Cruz County, CA to Santa Ana, south of Los Angeles, CA. It was about 420 miles and took less than 12 hours. I took as many side roads as I could muster along Highway 101, sometimes I just took the highway. It took my time and took breaks when tired. I stopped at a specialty coffee shop in Santa Barbara although I don't remember the name of the place now, some great coffee though. A couple days later I rode back along the same route. I will definitely do it again next year.

Gil
Thats pretty cool, Gil. I'm toying with the idea of a PCX distance trip, but would need to wait til summer when I can see a weather forecast that's clear for an extended period. One thing I've learned over the years is that for longer rides is how crucial it is to simply *relax* and not let the ride, accelerated engine cadence, etc get me tensed up.

Also, I find that I get tired mentally before physically. I know that may sound funny or odd, but I can sense that the longer the ride - the less instinctive I am. Basically I need to intentionally focus on defensive riding techniques and overall road attentiveness rather than just rolling along and enjoying the ride. I'm retirement age, so maybe it's related to that - LoL