New exhaust experience

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New exhaust experience

Post by chicaboo »

JetPilot wrote:
chicaboo wrote:Hi gang,

Here's the interesting thing, for the first time I wasn't tailgated or had any cars consider driving out in front of me! 8)

Cheers, Gav.
The idea that a loud exhaust increases safety is a MYTH, and it is downright dangerous to give this advice to give this bad advice to others as think they will have a safety advantage that in reality they do not have. Bad advice is a disservice to everyone.

1. The worst accident is where people pull in front of you, and your exhaust puts most of its noise out from behind as it points backwards. No one in front of you is going to hear your exhaust while you approach them at speed, and a loud exhaust will NOT prevent this kind of accident.

2. Most rear end accidents happen when stopped or braking, when the engine is at IDLE, and you are not going to hear the exhaust anyways. Its very rare to get rear ended when under high power.

3. Modern cars are incredibly quiet inside, you are dreaming if you think a lot of people will be hearing your exhaust.

4. If you want to increase safety, LIGHTING both front and rear is a REAL solution... False solutions might make you fell good, but they do not work.

5. Constant Loud noise increases rider fatigue and increases RIDER ERROR's by a large amount. The Aviation industry has spent hundreds of millions of dollars making cockpits quieter to protect pilots from the effects of noise fatigue, and reduce pilot error. Pilots are some of the best trained, most skilled people on the planet. You are delusional if you think you are immune to the effects of noise fatigue.

If some kids likes a loud bike, more power to him... I get it that they want to be cool. BUT, I take issue when people start trying to pass this garbage off as " SAFETY "

There are plenty of articles and analysis out there for those interested in reality and truth.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/s ... save-lives

Mike
Aha, nice story bro... I didn't give any advise, I just made an observation without any prior expectations beyond having a shiny pipe.
The exhaust has since been modified and made quieter now, but the glorious intellect didn't pick up on that I notice...

It's time for you to take your meds and go back to your corner for some time out I think. You really do have a problem, Mike.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

JetPilot wrote:

Here's the interesting thing, for the first time I wasn't tailgated or had any cars consider driving out in front of me! 8)

Cheers, Gav.

5. Constant Loud noise increases rider fatigue and increases RIDER ERROR's by a large amount. The Aviation industry has spent hundreds of millions of dollars making cockpits quieter to protect pilots from the effects of noise fatigue, and reduce pilot error.
He probably going to work or going down the shops, not crossing the Atlantic so he'll probably be ok.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Alibally wrote:
JetPilot wrote:

Cheers, Gav.

5. Constant Loud noise increases rider fatigue and increases RIDER ERROR's by a large amount. The Aviation industry has spent hundreds of millions of dollars making cockpits quieter to protect pilots from the effects of noise fatigue, and reduce pilot error.
He probably going to work or going down the shops, not crossing the Atlantic so he'll probably be ok.
I tried it without the baffle once, and I can tell you that would definitely cause hearing damage over time.

For the normal, mentally balanced people out there, not all accidents occur from the rear or from drive outs in front of you.
One of the greatest fears I have is a car lane changing into the side of me on the highway, exhaust noise can mitigate this.
I'm not a "loud pipes saves lives" guy. But I was amazed how big a difference I received from other motorists after the exhaust.
I'm not arguing Mike's other comments, as we all have eyes and ears and can draw our own conclusions without hand holding.
Personally, I'd be happy riding a silent electric bike when the day comes, but I like a pleasant exhaust note at the same time, too.

I don't know what business it is to anyone if I have a legal exhaust or lighting system on my scooter. Some people need to pull their head in.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

chicaboo wrote: Some people need to pull their head in.
Some people are not physically, or more important "mentally" capable of pulling their heads in. :D :D

Always remembering free advice is worth what you pay for it. You owe me 100 bucks, JP owes you nothing. :D :D
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

JohnL wrote:Some people are not physically, or more important "mentally" capable of pulling their heads in. :D :D
They can always ask for help. Or some you just feel obliged to help without even being asked. :lol:
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Re: New exhaust

Post by Rickjds »

JetPilot wrote:

Cheers, Gav.
The idea that a loud exhaust increases safety is a MYTH, and it is downright dangerous to give this advice to give this bad advice to others as think they will have a safety advantage that in reality they do not have. Bad advice is a disservice to everyone. Here in Hawaii, most mopeds have a super loud exhaust. IMO, Super loud exhaust can be heard by cars and ignored by the Safety inspections.

1. The worst accident is where people pull in front of you, and your exhaust puts most of its noise out from behind as it points backwards. No one in front of you is going to hear your exhaust while you approach them at speed, and a loud exhaust will NOT prevent this kind of accident. I have to disagree. Where I live in Hawaii.exhaust are really loud and negates your theory.

2. Most rear end accidents happen when stopped or braking, when the engine is at IDLE, and you are not going to hear the exhaust anyways. Its very rare to get rear ended when under high power. No arguments here.

3. Modern cars are incredibly quiet inside, you are dreaming if you think a lot of people will be hearing your exhaust. Haha, loud exausts attract a lot of noise.

4. If you want to increase safety, LIGHTING both front and rear is a REAL solution... False solutions might make you fell good, but they do not work. Totoally agree. You

5. Constant Loud noise increases rider fatigue and increases RIDER ERROR's by a large amount. The Aviation industry has spent hundreds of millions of dollars making cockpits quieter to protect pilots from the effects of noise fatigue, and reduce pilot error. Pilots are some of the best trained, most skilled people on the planet. You are delusional if you think you are immune to the effects of noise fatigue. I would like to see how this relates to scoters. Please provide evidence.

If some kids likes a loud bike, more power to him... I get it that they want to be cool. BUT, I take issue when people start trying to pass this garbage off as " SAFETY " no ggggarrbagee. No garbage is safety. Please provide evidence.

There are plenty of articles and analysis out there for those interested in reality and truth. Please provide links that provide evidence of safety.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/s ... save-lives

Mike
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I like lighting, but it's not the wild west here and we have to abide by the Australian government's rules.
Where I live you get fined for using your foglights or highbeams during the day or in fine weather! :roll:
We have laws (ADR) specifying minimum/maximum height/separation and output in watts for lighting.

I'm allowed to run up to 7W parking/position lights. This law is old and based on old filament bulbs...
But, because they haven't revised this regulation, we can run the brightest 7W cree LEDs available. :D
Anyhow, I have 5W cree projector type LED parkers that are many times brighter than the stock bulbs.
I bought 7W bulbs, but they have an awful green hue and aren't any brighter since they spill the light.
My 5W bulbs are like needles of light, and are very obvious even during the day time from a distance.

Ideally I would like a full LED conversion for my lights, but it's difficult to legally change the headlights.
HID lights have specific regulations about them, so it's essentially illegal to just drop in a pair of HIDs.
I found a set of drop in HS5 LED headlights, but when I enquired the manufacturer advised they are EOL...
It's possible to get 40/40W filament bulbs for slightly brighter output, but they're not easily obtainable here.

Anyhow, my exhaust is not irritatingly loud anymore, and it's never been loud enough to cause hearing damage...
I've never been a proponent for loud exhausts and don't encourage people for or against, one way or the other.
I will speak about my experiences and observations, which I don't regard or allude to as safety advise or direction.

Not directed to any one person :roll: - but if you're the type reading this to go off the handle and reply with abstract and unrelated 2 dimensional logic, using capital case to (incorrectly) emphasise a point, casting insults as to people's knowledge/IQ, and feel you need to be right about any and everything - you're probably likened to some kind of ladies' orifice... Not making any accusations, just a hunch. ;)
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I've been recovering from my smash. Would not have mattered how bloody loud my pipe was, the person who pulled out WAS NOT EVEN LOOKING MY DIRECTION AS SHE PULLED OUT!, really wish it showed on YouTube but compression sucks.

When I order my new one (Mid Feb) I plan to begin looking into additional LED lights on the front, but note even that won't help if the cagers don't LOOK before they move. Am tempted to consider a train horn too.
aka DrewJW
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I think even if you rode a jet powered neon disco ball, someone would still drive into you.

I wish you a speedy recovery Drew, I saw your crash video. :|
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

chicaboo wrote:I think even if you rode a jet powered neon disco ball, someone would still drive into you.
|

That hasn't been my experience in the slightest. Perhaps I'm lucky?
WI_Hedgehog