Idle Stop

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Re: Idle Stop

Post by Blazinby »

never had a problem with the start/stop feature

I think it's less about saving fuel and more about those moments when everyone stopped at the lights has idle-start, cars and bikes. There's a moment of unexpected quiet in your day it's real nice
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Seems like the majority of cars have it too now. So if you stop for any length of time things go peaceful.

I suspect it’s one of those things well look back in a few years time and say “did we really do that” sit stationary together with our engines running....
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I have gotten so used to my car turning off that I will not have it any other way in a future vehicle. I know that a modern engine is using barely milliliters to idle, but psychologically knowing that I am not burning (and wasting) ANY fuel makes all the stoplights in my life far less of an annoyance.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

How in the world do you survive a red light with idle-stop??? Thou hast not been enlightened to the art of blipping:

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

WI_Hedgehog wrote:How in the world do you survive a red light with idle-stop???
Peacefully.
Turn throttle, engine fires in three tenths of a second and you're off.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

GeorgeSK wrote:I have gotten so used to my car turning off that I will not have it any other way in a future vehicle. I know that a modern engine is using barely milliliters to idle, but psychologically knowing that I am not burning (and wasting) ANY fuel makes all the stoplights in my life far less of an annoyance.
But but you are American....
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:Never had the idle stop fail to start my PCX instantly.
On other vehicles I have had engines cut out when moving off though...
The reason the engine cut out when moving off won't be fixed by a start stop feature.More parts,more chance of failure,and Cha ching goes the wallet.
If you want quiet go all electric which will soon be the norm for a scooter.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Idle stop on the PCX does not need require a single additional part.
There is simply nothing to go wrong over your non idle stop version.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

gn2 wrote:Idle stop on the PCX does not need require a single additional part. There is simply nothing to go wrong over your non idle stop version.
Well, on pre '14 models, the ECU battery monitoring protection was not in place and they had smaller capacity batteries, and some people had battery failures using this feature a lot (that's why Honda up-rated the battery and added ECU 'battery monitoring' in the firmware (service manual ammendment shows a graph with some explanation of the ECU battery monitoring check and idle-stop disablement).
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

In addition,there are more sensors beefier timing chain,larger batteries,relays and modules.More ECU computing power.All this adds to more diagnostic complications .When you are at a stop and this fails to start..,where do you look .On a conventional engine there are many easy solutions one could apply to get back on the road.On this system there is no quick fix.Scan tools and additional equipment will surely be necessary to diagnose.Might be a good system but I prefer one that's easy to diagnose and fix.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

THE SKY IS FALLING!!
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

you you wrote:THE SKY IS FALLING!!
Nope..more walking!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote:In addition,there are more sensors beefier timing chain,larger batteries,relays and modules.More ECU computing power.All this adds to more diagnostic complications
Cam chain is the same on idle stop and North American models and its also used in some much bigger engines: https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/microf ... S-931.html

The battery is the same on the Europe idle stop and North American models, the Yuasa YTZ7S.
Its a fairly standard motorcycle battery.

Can you tell me what additional sensors are required and their part numbers...?

True that the battery can go flat without warning in some circumstances on the early models without protection, but its not really a mechanical or electronic breakdown and very easy to sort, just get a jump start and off you go.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Part numbers? Brake sensor ,more wiring terminals ,connectors that can possibly fail,Some parts have to be beefier or should be..300,000 more jerks on a timing chain will in time increase stretch hence will increase fuel usage which will offset the whopping 8 to 15 percent fuel savings you are trying to achieve.The ecu has to time and reset the crank POS every stop..A body in motion tends to stay in motion and when you disrupt that momentum energy you waste energy.The increased computing power and additional inputs and parts required to accomplish a start and stop mechanism makes it more difficult to diagnose.I think you are falling into the corporate mentality that they can save you fuel.Yeah maybe,but at what price .Simple is better and a simple starting/ running system is best in my view especially at a meager 8-15 percent fuel savings.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

I don't understand the big fuss about using idle-stop. It's a nice feature to have. Afraid of anything that might be broken? More parts, means more possibility of things that can go wrong? That's like taking the murphy law into the next level.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

What the?

power-full
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2010
Color: preta

Post by power-full »

I do not use. I do 70km per day, on a work trip with the pcx 35km for each side, only once for tolls on the way to work ... besides the thrashing that this gives in the battery, the toll is 20km from home + - these 20 km are made in the background (funny) is not the best option to get to the tolls and turn off the engine..lol reconnect, switch back off and then follow the other 15 km in depth to work !!! I think I've used it 3 to 4 times ..lol
https://www.facebook.com/sergiofininho
Pcx powerfull kit yuminashi 168cc
93000km 23.03.2022 dont stop..
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

alx123 wrote:I don't understand the big fuss about using idle-stop. It's a nice feature to have. Afraid of anything that might be broken? More parts, means more possibility of things that can go wrong? That's like taking the murphy law into the next level.

First world anxieties :roll:
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White

Post by djbass »

easyrider wrote:Brake sensor ,more wiring terminals ,connectors that can possibly fail,Some parts have to be beefier or should be..300,000 more jerks on a timing chain will in time increase stretch hence will increase fuel usage which will offset the whopping 8 to 15 percent fuel savings you are trying to achieve...
300,000 jerks with power more than those that you give when accelerating on the scooter, so the burden say it makes no sense. Additional electronic components in some way may contribute to damage to your scooter due to the complexity of the design, but many years ago the injector was also something unusual after the carb.
How many would not listen when you run, there is no shake in the engine, it means soft start, so there is no extra load on the metal parts of the engine.
The only time I think the idle stop is not entirely appropriate - is to stop the engine after a long trip on the highway at high speeds, when the engine is working at maximum mode and is very hot and leads to the termination of circulation of coolant and possible local overheating of engine parts.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Injectors are more efficient and simpler than a carburetor.When an engine is in motion it has momentum which requires less torque than it does from a dead stop.There is only one good reason for this idle stop and it's fuel economy,and that's about it.Remember Newton laws..A body tends to stay in motion ..............