two more go down this week...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: two more go down this week...

Post by Mel46 »

From what I have seen in the way of regular 4 wheeled vehicle drivers around here, those of us on 2 wheels have to watch out for them because they are not watching out for anyone. I have seen drivers go from the far outside lane, across 4 lanes of traffic into the turn lane, and do a u-turn in the middle of a busy intersection. By the way other cars were slamming on brakes you can bet that he could have cared less what other drivers were planning on doing or were in the middle of doing. How can a scooter rider complete with an arrogant, self-centered, idiot driver in a big 4 wheeled vehicle? Even though we can try to be aware of other drivers, we are forced to play the "what if" game constantly. We become their eyes and ears.
I watched a lady get into her big SUV yesterday and pull out in front of someone, and then proceed to do everything except drive! So, while her vehicle was going somewhat straight, she was bending around to get something in the back seat, and then fishing for her purse on the floor in front, then hooking up her seat belt while dialing or texting...I couldn't tell which. Meanwhile the car went over the line into our lane at least a dozen times. Motorcycle riders need to ride for those types of drivers as well as the aggressive ones, because they certainly are NOT driving for your type.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

Embattle wrote:Laws and training requirements make a lot of difference to accident and ultimately death rates.
You cannot regulate stupidity out of existence. Regulations tend to increase it. Deregulation necessitates the need to think for yourself, those who do not/cannot weed themselves out. If you're one who thinks Darwin's theory of evolution related to the Galopacos Islands should be expanded to all evolution, you're basically anti-regulation, and if you're not then you're fighting against your own beliefs.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think a lot of the accident fatalities could be mitigated if there were more required training BEFORE handing out a drivers license.

Think about how many people are getting their license for the first time. Think about your first efforts behind the wheel, before you were handed your license. You were afraid of the car. You respected it.

Now think about your attitude right after you were given that little piece of paper. You were no longer afraid of the car. Instead, you felt like you could control the beast and have it do whatever you wanted it to do.

What changed besides that piece of paper? Now that you have that piece of paper, your mind suddenly closes to more training. Your ego has now taken over. Now you are ready for crash derby.

Everything that happens from then on is your "experience"... some good, some bad.

Unless you are willing to put your ego aside in order to gain more classroom knowledge about driving, your remaining years will be filled with more and more close calls or crashes as you as other drivers attempt to 'drive'.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WI_Hedgehog

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

What I see could be skewed given I'm from Milwaukee, home of Harley Davidson and Beer Capitol of the World. (The city of Milwaukee both produces and consumes more beer per year than the entire country of Germany.)

I took a lot of time to learn to drive on the street, taking a MSF course (two months back then), and practicing on my 750cc with tighter cones than the required course. Came in #3 for driving abilities (d@mn enduro guys....) Most in the class took it seriously, only the hard-core H-D chick failed, and she'd been driving for 20 years (her riding buddies made her take the course before she killed herself, and she did pretty good if she had speed, but going slow...she even wrecked the 100cc course bike...)

I hear about a motorcycle fatality a week, almost all are drinking related, some are also drug related. A helmet is not going to save these people, they are going to die early.

We have the Outlaw Motorcycle Club here, who on the big scale are "worse" than the Hells Angels. People die. It's part of biker life. Freedom of choice is part of being free, and the potential outcome is known, don't think it's not. Sure, people hope it's not them when the reaper knocks, but sometimes it is they for whom the bell tolls.

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

WI_Hedgehog wrote:The city of Milwaukee both produces and consumes more beer per year than the entire country of Germany.
Sometimes things leap off the page and set alarm bells off...

Germany population 82,000,000

Milwaukee population 595,000

Average beer consumption per capita of Germany 104.7 litres

Does everyone in Milwaukee really glug their way through 40 litres of beer every single day?

I know american beer is like maiden's piss, but even so, no way is everyone in Milwaukee downing forty litres a day! :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:
WI_Hedgehog wrote:The city of Milwaukee both produces and consumes more beer per year than the entire country of Germany.
Sometimes things leap off the page and set alarm bells off...

Germany population 82,000,000

Milwaukee population 595,000

Average beer consumption per capita of Germany 104.7 litres

Does everyone in Milwaukee really glug their way through 40 litres of beer every single day?

I know american beer is like maiden's piss, but even so, no way is everyone in Milwaukee downing forty litres a day! :lol:
I think he combined produces and consumes.. By the way what does a maiden's piss taste like ?? Since you know the difference .. LOL
WI_Hedgehog

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

I'm going to guess this includes the huge influx of people that don't live in the city that work here and visit just to get plastered. And I could have it wrong, it could be the County, but since it's Drunk Friday (at work) I'm thinking that it might also relegate the other people that happen to injest and consume on a daily basis when they intoxicate....

In Cudahy, for instance, you either live next to a bar, or above one. Which is actually not the city of Milwaukee, but it almost might want to be, and we really don't care...

Wisconsin's per-capita beer sales for residents 21 and older was 36.2 gallons, each. That's the state. Per person. Which would theoretically include crotchety old women who can't get out of their walker (actually the rest of us drink enough beer to make up for them). We drink so much beer in Milwaukee that no matter where in the world you are, if there's a beer drinking contest and they find out we really are from Milwaukee we get disqualified, because, well, we'll win. In fact, we've been known to demand to keep drinking free beer after the contest is "over," because quite frankly, we're not done drinking.
two-fisted.jpg
two-fisted.jpg (27.34 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Two-fisted drinking is common here. Yup, if you have two hands, put a beer in each!

40 Drunkest Cities, From Vegas to Milwaukee
https://www.thedailybeast.com/40-drunke ... -milwaukee
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WI_Hedgehog wrote:I'm going to guess this includes the huge influx of people that don't live in the city that work here and visit just to get plastered. And I could have it wrong, it could be the County, but since it's Drunk Friday (at work) I'm thinking that it might also relegate the other people that happen to injest and consume on a daily basis when they intoxicate....

In Cudahy, for instance, you either live next to a bar, or above one. Which is actually not the city of Milwaukee, but it almost might want to be, and we really don't care...

Wisconsin's per-capita beer sales for residents 21 and older was 36.2 gallons, each. That's the state. Per person. Which would theoretically include crotchety old women who can't get out of their walker (actually the rest of us drink enough beer to make up for them). We drink so much beer in Milwaukee that no matter where in the world you are, if there's a beer drinking contest and they find out we really are from Milwaukee we get disqualified, because, well, we'll win. In fact, we've been known to demand to keep drinking free beer after the contest is "over," because quite frankly, we're not done drinking.
two-fisted.jpg
Two-fisted drinking is common here. Yup, if you have two hands, put a beer in each!

40 Drunkest Cities, From Vegas to Milwaukee
https://www.thedailybeast.com/40-drunke ... -milwaukee

Tickets booked.

Hic.
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

I have crushed numerous times.
I have my own gold principle now: SLOW DOWN, WHEN I AM NOT SURE WHAT IS IN FRONT. hence, I seldom exceed 50 MPH, 60 MPH for expressway.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Every time I pass an intersection where there is either a vehicle already there waiting to enter the flow of traffic or one is approaching the stop sign I am always off the throttle and trying to see if they are looking at me (I strongly dislike full tinted windows). Also, I never trust a green at a traffic light. It just means it's legal to go. . .not necessarily OK to go. More than once I've seen people blast through an intersection on a red light like it wasn't even there.

In addition I take deer crossing signs seriously.

It all comes down to "avoid contact".

I still enjoy a brew now and then but don't ride with a buzz. There are too many stupid drivers on the road and I feel I need to have all my faculties on deck. Don't want to be numb when I have to ride or drive among the dumb. Road congestion has dramatically increased since I started driving years ago. It ain't like it used to be.

FWIW I use both turn signal lights and hand signals. . .just in case. 8)

Watch out for wet leaves!

Cheers! ;)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote:By the way what does a maiden's piss taste like ??
Budweiser.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
easyrider wrote:By the way what does a maiden's piss taste like ??
Budweiser.

Even I wont drink Bud.

Hic
WI_Hedgehog