PCX vs Piaggio Medley review, now on SLUK

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Re: PCX vs Piaggio Medley review, now on SLUK

Post by Blazinby »

Can I just say,

I think the UK graded system is not perfect but a pretty decent attempt at sense. At the age of 42 I decided to take to two wheels. I had never been on a bike before and if I got a license that let me ride a Fireblade or Hyabusa I would probably be another road traffic statistic. Just saying :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WI_Hedgehog wrote:Is that what the f--k the "L" plates are for!!!! Bah ha ha! I thought it was some motorcycle club thing....

L for love... :lol: :lol:
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

WI_Hedgehog wrote:Is that what the f--k the "L" plates are for!!!! Bah ha ha! I thought it was some motorcycle club thing....
Yup - It actually stands for 'Learner Driver'. Had my first L plates on an Austin Mini Van back in 1965! :)
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

I would take ABS on PCX immediately ( and a rear disc). But that's unlikely to happen since Honda did such a good job lobbying that EU regulations make ABS or Combi brake compulsory on new scooters. So all other 125cc scooters will have ABS and PCX is likely to stay with combi and drums. There is no comparison between the two. We're all loosing on this. (Notice how the Forza does get ABS)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

TBH I've been quite happy riding scooters or motorcycles that don't have ABS. Although I will admit there have been some machines that do leave something to be desired. Just keep the speeds reasonable and be on your game and don't get complacent. ;)

Sensors and stuff eventually can fail on those ABS systems anyways. Salt, dirt, corrosion, and water wear away at the integrity over time. o_O

That being said each to their own and if that is something someone really wants to pay a lot of extra money for because they feel it's going to add to their longevity then so be it. The thing is that eventually if manufacturers install it on all new scoots and motorcycles then price of getting those machines goes up. It's like trying to find a car that just has plain old roll up windows these days for those who don't want to deal with failed power window motors later on down the line. . .or push buttons that break. :roll:

On the race track the technology does indeed play a most important role. Otherwise the power of the engines would cause undue tire spin and riders would have to break much earlier coming into corners. For those purposes then bring it on. . .technology is king. :D

To everything (turn turn turn)
There is a season (turn turn turn)
And a time to every purpose, under heaven. 8)

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Price does not have to go up with ABS.
The 2018 Kymco Like150i, @$2499, has Bosch ABS on both wheels. The first gen LIKE 163's listed at @$2600, no ABS or CB.
Mass produced ABS units, like mass produced disc brakes...are good things for every street rider. If you're putting your wife or kid on one - you'd like them to be on the safest bike possible.
Fish
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

^^^ False argument, wife/kid isn't any more important than anyone else because they're married or young.

ABS isn't like making a yellow highlighter, it's complex and based upon vehicle properties, tire properties, tires are based on tons of calculations, there are safety regulations up the wazoo, this isn't a cheap date--when it is, it's that crack-whore and not gonna end well.

ABS isn't magic, there are sensors and wiring harnesses, both of which tend to go bad with time (and wheel bearings...). The master cylinder valving system is very sensitive to dirt. There is a cost to all this, it's not machined for free.

When it fails it often fails open, so "no brakes." No override. No stopping. Crack-whore ending--it's not going well, you can't get out of it gracefully, and more crazy shit just piles on.

Keep it simple. It can't break if you eliminate it from the design.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ABS rarely "fails" and when it does the brakes don't stop working. Only the brake modulation.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

ABS rarely "fails" and when it does the brakes don't stop working. Only the brake modulation.
And the brakes will continue to work just like in the old days until you sell it, trade it in, or wear out the pads, rotors, or calipers (sticky due to rust or corrosion issues), or need to add new brake fluid into the master cylinder. Which is why buying a new vehicle that doesn't include ABS is basically getting the bad news over with early and saving yourself some money now and later. Just ride or drive appropriately and use those winter driving skills that they used to teach. How did we ever get along without cell phones, ABS, and fluoridated water? 8)
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

So I'm the only one that noticed the Piaggio's tires were on backwards??

That's not a good sign...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

grndslm wrote:So I'm the only one that noticed the Piaggio's tires were on backwards??

You must have some eyesight to see the direction of rotation arrow on the sidewall in the review pictures... :)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

grndslm wrote:So I'm the only one that noticed the Piaggio's tires were on backwards??

Watch it on rewind and it’s OK
WI_Hedgehog