New CTX700 DCT ABS - excited

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: New CTX700 DCT ABS - excited

Post by TheMaverick »

GeorgeSK wrote:
Prayers for the family, the person driving the oncoming vehicle, the first responders and the firemen who had to hose off the accident scene, as well as my buddy the tow truck guy who had to bring the mechanical pieces to his shop next door.
I had to get my car towed the other day (starter motor clapped out). I popped in the next day to pay the towie - he was working on draining the fluids from a 4 wheel drive that had been involved in a fatal. All I can say is "Jeeeeeeeeeeepers". I don't think a car that had been run over by a tank and then tossed for a week in a giant concrete mixer would have looked as bad. Just so many think it's the "law of the land" that they need to be wary of, but really it's the laws of physics; the latter are far more unforgiving - especially with motorcycles where we're some 28 times more likely to get injured than a cager.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Mel46 wrote:There really isn't much about that bike not to like.
700 motor rather than the much improved 750 and the seat/peg/bar positioning is pretty awful.
But if you want feet forward and vibration it's ideal and will be economical to run.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

That says it, a 750 yup nice but we no gots it here.
Seating position was bad just as you stated gn2, but Glen mentioned that that has changed.
Maybe Not better for you, but I think it might work for someone of my shorter stature.
Did you read Glen's earlier response to my post on the previous page? It's seat, pegs, bar are situated differently since the bike's conception. I don't want to screw words up here. It's easier to read back what he said.
I will sit my butt down on one again next Honda visit ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The seat/bar/peg positioning is typically custom cruiser, feet way out in front, back vertical.
I'm not a big fan of those feet forward ergos.
Its partly why I chose an SV instead of another maxi-scoot to replace the Forza.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

A set of 8” floorboards solves all the problems of position, you can have the cruiser position or the conventional bike position. Did 200 miles today, as comfortable as any long distance bike I’ve ever been on.....no vibration thru the floorboards.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Coastal Mountainer
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Coastal Mountainer »

Glad you're liking your new CTX. Mine is a '14 and the seat is just about ideal. I'm 6'4" with 31" inseam thus tall in the torso. The only change I'm going to make is a driver back rest. I just can't seem to sit straight up for any length of time before I find myself slumped down. It's my issue, not the bike's. Never had great posture and as I age it's getting worse.

I miss the light weight of the PCX. For me, the CTX's weight was intimidating at first. Not going, but moving around the garage or getting up on center stand. Getting used to this after 6 months but still have to be careful to keep her upright when not under power.

Over all, the CTX handles great and is a pleasure to ride at all speeds.
2014 CTX 700dct Red (glad I got it)

2013 PCX 150 Black (wish I could have kept it)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Well congrats to you too Coastal Mountainer! I would imagine the CTX's weight to be intimidating for awhile. Keeps ya on yer toes (well, not in your case :D ). Glad you're enjoying it. I use to lift my Piaggio MP3 (over 450lbs) on its center stand, I got the hang of it, then not so bad. But...My back? Well that's another story. Do you have a Honda backrest on it? Are there any other backrests available or will you be altering or changing the position of the one your using?

Glen! That is such great news! Floorboards did the trick! 8) I'm liking this > Cruiser foot style or conventional foot style. No vibrations either. You took on 200 miles? That was Brave. Long venture not knowing how yer body would adjust or feel during or later. Cheers to that!
So in your garage resides a Corvette, PCX and CTX 8) BooYah!

Keep posting here, I'm reading ;)
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Coastal Mountainer
Color: black

Post by Coastal Mountainer »

WhiteNoise here's a site you should visit: www.CTX700forum.com. Great site with tons of info on the CTX700 series.

I removed the passenger back rest and added a Viking tail bag for smaller storage needs. Still exploring how to get me a drivers back rest. Think I"ll call Seth Lamb and see if they can modify my current seat and add a back rest and a little better cushioning and looks.

Good luck!
2014 CTX 700dct Red (glad I got it)

2013 PCX 150 Black (wish I could have kept it)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

I’m mounting new saddle bags today. Pictures later… I now have 650 miles on the bike and couldn’t be more happy. Can’t wait for the new Corbin seat which will push me back a couple inches and even give me more legroom. But the floorboards are a night and day difference. I still use my PCX religiously every day for short distance, and you have to be very careful jumping on the little bike and then jumping on the big one. You mis judge the weight of both bikes for a few seconds…

The DCT is nothing short of amazing. Unlike a CVT, or the variator, it is a true hard shift as fast as you want to make them. I’ve gotten real good with putting it in manual and using the paddles to do anything I want to do and it’s truly faster than what your foot and hand can do if it was a manual transmission. Shifts are positive and instant. Honda has set up an entire mini site just on the DCT ......you can find it here

http://en.honda-dct.com/sp/
Glen
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Coastal, thanks for sharing the link to CTX forum. I will check it out :)

In the meantime, I was wondering if you or Glen might be interested in something like this:
https://www.bikersfriend.com/honda/
That link covers just Honda bikes, you might want to browse around just to see the set-up on other bike's too.
See an Example:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (35.57 KiB) Viewed 1260 times
Over the years, I've had my eyes on these, even though they're a bit costly. Heh! If it does the trick, you have the $$, it's worth it!

Glen, yes, please show us your days work. I'm Happy you still are..... :P
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

WhiteNoise wrote:Coastal, thanks for sharing the link to CTX forum. I will check it out :)

In the meantime, I was wondering if you or Glen might be interested in something like this:
https://www.bikersfriend.com/honda/
That link covers just Honda bikes, you might want to browse around just to see the set-up on other bike's too.
Hey, WN, thanks for the link. I like how that one on the PCX sits on the seat. I wonder what size that one is.
I may have to get one for my future road trips!!

Dave
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Pelican bags using a custom fabricated bracket -all for about $260

Glen
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Jge64 wrote:Pelican bags using a custom fabricated bracket -all for about $260

Looks good. Are they detachable?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

So the bike is finished, new pelican bags with carbon fiber wrap, floorboards instead of stock pegs, new Corbin Seat, tank bag (not shown) , puig Wing on winshield- just did 400 miles on the new setup, totally comfortable, complete shielding from wind, new seat position is perfect for me. Looking for major tours in 2018, the PCX still is my neighborhood bike:
Glen
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Looks sharp. Can you connect me to a link for the Pelican cases?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

kramnala58 wrote:Looks sharp. Can you connect me to a link for the Pelican cases?
These guys make cases for everybody. Their generic case- caseclub.com is a pelican without the name half the price. The case above is:

http://www.caseclub.com/CC130963ISK.htm
Glen
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Jge64 wrote:
kramnala58 wrote:Looks sharp. Can you connect me to a link for the Pelican cases?
These guys make cases for everybody. Their generic case- caseclub.com is a pelican without the name half the price. The case above is: http://www.caseclub.com/CC130963ISK.htm
Thanks, I appreciate it.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

One of the guys at the CTX site had a Machine shop make us up these L shaped brackets that mount on the hard points of the bike at the rear. It allows you to attach any type of bag in that you just drill out holes and nylock them on. If you are mounting a true detachable saddle bag that uses a plate for a detachment, you just bolt that plate up first…You should be able to do the same with the PCX hard points, at least on the 2015 model
Glen
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Holy Smoker's, That's Awesome!! Perfectly done (I'm not surprised) ;)
A custom Corbin Saddle? What more could you ask for? My bum would be pleased with that too.

Question: is that a camera propped tippy top of the windscreen? How is it fastened? Any vibes?
Will you be adding any reflective material on the bike or cases?
Will you be adding speakers inside the dash?

a Biggie: Are the floorboards positioned similar to that of a PCX, as in....where we place our feet? Or still a bit forward?

I know, I ask toooo many questions :oops: (that other's may also gain knowledge)
Cheers Glen!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh wait! It's a Deflector at tippy top of screen! Yes?