I'm new in here!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Brio
Year: 2014
Color: White with Trim

I'm new in here!

Post by Brio »

I now live in Phuket, Thailand and the Mrs owns a bike rental business. We own several PCX 125cc, 150cc, and lots of Honda Click 125i. I enjoy doing my own troubleshooting before I send it to the dealer so joined here to get some more background. These styles and brand of scooters are the most reliable for us, so we now stick only with Honda.

Not sure about the overseas PCX, if they are all manufactured in Thailand or not, but spare parts and expertise are readily available.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: I'm new in here!

Post by you you »

Brio wrote:I now live in Phuket, Thailand and the Mrs owns a bike rental business. We own several PCX 125cc, 150cc, and lots of Honda Click 125i. I enjoy doing my own troubleshooting before I send it to the dealer so joined here to get some more background. These styles and brand of scooters are the most reliable for us, so we now stick only with Honda.

Not sure about the overseas PCX, if they are all manufactured in Thailand or not, but spare parts and expertise are readily available.

Forum discount? :D :D ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Welcome to the forum. I think I read somewhere that Honda now has a manufacturing facility in Vietnam too, and I think they opened an assembly plant in Italy as well. Still, most of the PCX parts still seem to come from Thailand, and I love the fact that we can get parts from Thailand through the Internet. There is such a variety of options for the PCX there that are not available here through the dealers. Shipping is expensive, but sometimes the parts are just worth the effort.
There are several websites there in Thailand that we are familiar with.
powerbypcx.com (which gives the forum a discount) and mpmotorseat.com are the two I am familiar with.
There are also some in Japan as well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Brio

Post by Brio »

The discount goes without saying. Seems like mainly Americans as members? Ride on the left here.
Brio

Post by Brio »

Mel46 wrote:Welcome to the forum. I think I read somewhere that Honda now has a manufacturing facility in Vietnam too, and I think they opened an assembly plant in Italy as well. Still, most of the PCX parts still seem to come from Thailand, and I love the fact that we can get parts from Thailand through the Internet. There is such a variety of options for the PCX there that are not available here through the dealers. Shipping is expensive, but sometimes the parts are just worth the effort.
powerbypcx.com (which gives the forum a discount) and mpmotorseat.com are the two I am familiar with.
Thanks. Parts are cheap, and if you fit them yourself, really cheap. Oil change, 120Bt ($3), Drive Belt 700Bt ($28) incl labour, Brake Pads , front, 200Bt ($8) for a few examples.

I use the AP Honda site to see the dealers price, then know what is a fair markup so I am not being ripped off.
Brio

Post by Brio »

There are 2 sites for checking Parts Prices I use.... http://www.mototh.com Its Russian, and the prices are around double what they are available for here.

...and this one....aphonda.co.th problem is its Thai so you need to guess a bit, but LH Side Drop down is Model, RH Drop down is IPB Page. If you click an item it gives you the price...if its a certain clour, the last 2 letters of the part No are the colour code.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Brio wrote: Ride on the left here.
Ah! Then you'd need a right-hand drive bike the, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Limey wrote:
Thinking about the "drive on the left" -v- "drive on the right" thing - how nice it would have been if the entire world had just agreed to one side or the other (don't care which) and stuck with it.

Here in NZ we drive on the left - but we have a lot of visitors who are used to driving on the right ... and all too often they revert to doing what they've done for thousands of hours and often the result is one hell of a fatal mess. 6.2% of fatal accidents here involve a foreign driver :(
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:
Limey wrote:
Thinking about the "drive on the left" -v- "drive on the right" thing - how nice it would have been if the entire world had just agreed to one side or the other (don't care which) and stuck with it.

Here in NZ we drive on the left - but we have a lot of visitors who are used to driving on the right ... and all too often they revert to doing what they've done for thousands of hours and often the result is one hell of a fatal mess. 6.2% of fatal accidents here involve a foreign driver :(

I'd be watching out for the other 94% who should be used to driving on the correct side of the road.:D :D
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Brio wrote:I now live in Phuket, Thailand .......
Welcome to HondaPCX.org You should be able to get lots of help here, but to help us help you better, could you list your location as a part of your profile. You can set the location setting by going through 'User Control Panel' in the upper right of your browser screen.

Indeed, there are plenty of PCX's in Thailand, and in fact, they were first released here in 2010, one year ahead of the rest of the world. I learned to ride a bike on the PCX and just sold it because I am moving back to the US at the end of the year. It will always be a favourite of mine.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Brio wrote:...... Seems like mainly Americans as members? ......
Possibly the largest group of of members may be from the US, but I don't know that they make up a majority of our members. We have quite a few members living in Europe and other places as well, including Asia, NZ and Australia. We are quite international.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Mel46 wrote:Welcome to the forum. I think I read somewhere that Honda now has a manufacturing facility in Vietnam too, and I think they opened an assembly plant in Italy as well. Still, most of the PCX parts still seem to come from Thailand, and I love the fact that we can get parts from Thailand through the Internet. There is such a variety of options for the PCX there that are not available here through the dealers. Shipping is expensive, but sometimes the parts are just worth the effort.
Honda has had a plant in Italy since 1971, it's where they build the SH scoots.

Their Vietnamese plant opened in 1996 and has been building scoots since 1997.
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza 300
Color: Red

Post by slowpoke »

I read somewhere that the best selling scooter in Italy is not a Vespa, but a Honda.

I know that the best selling bicycle component in Italy is not Campagnolo, but Shimano. I imagine price has a lot to do with it.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I think I read somewhere that the British started the riding on the left thing because the Knights accompanying the wagons had to be able to draw their swords with their right hands to fight off the highway robbers without fighting across the horse. Well, knights went away a long time ago, so why couldn't they just switch back?? Oh, I know. They had conquered the world by then and couldn't tell everyone that they could go back to driving on the right side now. :-/ So now we have a confused world. Go ahead, blame it all on the British. At least there would be one thing that the USA wouldn't be blamed for. :-) (...you do know that I am kidding, don't you... :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Mel46 wrote:(...you do know that I am kidding, don't you... :-)
Yup! But.... in motor boats, the wheel is on the right and the rules are to keep to the right of oncoming traffic. Makes your head hurt! LOL
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Mel46 wrote:I think I read somewhere that the British started the riding on the left thing because the Knights accompanying the wagons had to be able to draw their swords with their right hands to fight off the highway robbers without fighting across the horse. Well, knights went away a long time ago, so why couldn't they just switch back?? Oh, I know. They had conquered the world by then and couldn't tell everyone that they could go back to driving on the right side now. :-/ So now we have a confused world. Go ahead, blame it all on the British. At least there would be one thing that the USA wouldn't be blamed for. :-) (...you do know that I am kidding, don't you... :-)
America started off driving on the left. It was only after they claimed independence that they swapped over.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Perhaps America should consider changing to the left? I had a think about it and I suspect that it wouldn't be as bad as you might think if they did it in stages starting with, say, trucks and busses for the first year ;)
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Mel46 wrote:(...you do know that I am kidding, don't you... :-)
Sure - that's as clear as knight and day! :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

"America started off driving on the left. It was only after they claimed independence that they swapped over."

Because the indians fought from the left side and our soldiers had to be prepared to draw their swords with their left Hand?
Or maybe the stage coaches kept running into each other when passing on the right so they decided that the driver would sit on the left and the guard could sit on the right and get hit. The guards had the guns though, so they made the stage coach drivers pass on the left and it has been that way ever since.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

Mel46 wrote:"America started off driving on the left. It was only after they claimed independence that they swapped over."

Because the indians fought from the left side and our soldiers had to be prepared to draw their swords with their left Hand?
Or maybe the stage coaches kept running into each other when passing on the right so they decided that the driver would sit on the left and the guard could sit on the right and get hit. The guards had the guns though, so they made the stage coach drivers pass on the left and it has been that way ever since.
Mel,
Maybe we should go back to carrying swords and driving on the left. LOL!!!

Dave