How many miles do you expect out of your PCX?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza 300
Color: Red

How many miles do you expect out of your PCX?

Post by slowpoke »

If any of you folks intend to keep your PCX until it becomes too costly to repair or just simply dies on you, how many miles do you hope to get for you to feel you got your money's worth?

I always drive my cars until the wheels fall off. My last car got about 190,000 miles and I was not happy. My three cars before that each got about 300,000 miles, which I was very happy. I intend to keep this scooter until it dies, but I'm not sure what the average longevity of these machines are. Is 50,000 miles too much to ask? Assuming I did the scheduled oil change and such, I'd be very happy if it lasts that long. I paid just over $2000 for a used 2015 model with 1,000 miles, essentially new.

When I was in New Zealand, I bought a 49cc scooter for about $1200 American dollars and rode it 8,500 miles. I had planned to ship it home, until I realized that would be costlier than the scooter. Otherwise, I would have kept riding it until it died (my visa expired before that happened).
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: How many miles do you expect out of your PCX?

Post by TheMaverick »

I've asked the same question a few times - and keep getting different answers - which is probably not surprising because I don't think anyone really knows the answer.

Mine is at 34,000km at present (after 30 months) - and engine remains as good as when I bought it. I change the oil every 4,000km and have tracked oil burn over past 2 changes (60 ml loss and 70 ml loss) (give or take -- I can't measure it overly accurately).

I discussed this with the dealer mechanic (who guessed 70,000km) but even then he said "there's always options". And I think that's the crux of it; when I passed through 33,000km (into the "2nd trimester" as I like to call it) I changed belt, clutch weights, driven face bearing, front and rear tyres, front and rear brake shoes, cooling fluid, brake fluids, and I'd like to think that all of those (except tyres) will now be good for another 33,000km at which point I'll change them again. Things like wheel bearings are an unknown, but not difficult to change if needed.

For me, the engine is the part I'm most interested in - I'm hoping that with 4,000km oil changes and using a good-quality specification compliant oil (and not just any old oil) that I'm tipping the balance in my favour - but regardless, even if the engine were to wear out, it's not impossible to recondition it.

If mine gets to 100,000km I'll say "well done". I've seen a PCX with 80,000km+ on the clock.

Hope this helps.
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User

Post by slowpoke »

That's what I'm hoping with the scooter: just replace the basics and hope to reach a certain number of miles (whatever that might be) and be happy. Like you said, what that number is anybody's guess. I'm not sure how much a new PCX engine is and how much I'd have to pay for labor, but if I had to do that, I might as well get a new scooter. Since yours is at 20,000 miles and in great condition, there's hope. Or maybe it's just NZ. I hear scooters are much happier there!
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

slowpoke wrote:That's what I'm hoping with the scooter: just replace the basics and hope to reach a certain number of miles (whatever that might be) and be happy. Like you said, what that number is anybody's guess. I'm not sure how much a new PCX engine is and how much I'd have to pay for labor, but if I had to do that, I might as well get a new scooter. Since yours is at 20,000 miles and in great condition, there's hope. Or maybe it's just NZ. I hear scooters are much happier there!
I did hear a price for a new engine once ... it was pretty obscene :(

No idea what a rebuild would cost - would probably be one of those trade-offs between getting someone to take it out / fit it again -v- doing as much as possible for themselves and waiting for parts etc.

My plan is to just monitor a few vitals and try to make good decisions going forward. General consensus is that regular oil changes is what makes the biggest difference. Everyone seems to agree that Honda engines just keep going and going and going (with their F1 (and the occasional MotoGP) engines proving to be the exceptions).

Would love to think Scooters (or even their riders) are happier here - not sure how true it would be though! (as I write this at 5pm on Friday the cloud is starting to descend on the hills in preparation for the weekend!) :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Engine life is a bit of a non issue/speculation. It's unfortunate but most scooters will end their useful life crashed, trashed or abandoned.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Engine life depends on maintenance regime.
Look after it properly and it will last indefinitely.
I know of a three year old Honda used by a courier which has 175,000 miles on it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Those fortunate to live in nice climates (not riding on wet, dirty, salty roads like we have to in UK cities) should see their bikes last much longer. Pics of Homies and WhiteNoises PCX's look like new, even engine, wheel and underside whereas those of us in the UK, well, the underside, wheels and engine area look poor in comparison with dirty/rusty bits.

I've had mine for just over 3 years, done almost 13,000 miles and use it every work day of the year no matter what the weather - rain, cold, jan/feb as long as not much snow/ice. Using the underground (tube) system would cost me £1600/yr, the PCX cost £2700 OTR - add tax £17/yr, CBT (£90 every 2 years), insurance (£100/yr), fuel (£140 yr as I get 130-140mpg), and then a few hundred for parts/lubricants over 4 years, I have saved money and still have a useable scooter worth some money if I sold or traded it - and it should last for years yet.

So, even if you throw it away every 3-4 years, it's still cheaper than using public service transport and much more convenient and fun.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

My first scoot was a 1985 Yamaha Riva 170, in 2006. The engine died two years later while cruising the highway at 70mph, as indicated by the speedometer. I got it with a broken speedometer and bad turn signals for $100 bucks. I must of put 12,000 miles on it as I replaced the rear tire twice, if my memory serves me right. After the engine died I was able to get ahold of a free Yamaha Riva 200 all the way in San Francisco. I replaced the engine, same top speed, and sold it after I bought a Honda Helix. I expect the same thing or better out of my PCX, so I just ride it.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I'm hoping for at least 30,000 miles before anything major has to be done. 8)
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

After the engine died I was able to get ahold of a free Yamaha Riva 200 all the way in San Francisco. I replaced the engine, same top speed, and sold it after I bought a Honda Helix.
LoL - that Helix is good for - what, 250,000 or some crazy high mileage ?? They constantly do well in the scoter cannonball.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Worked long and hard to be retired, I trade out my bikes every 4 years, regardless of condition. Too much new tech I want!
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I expect mine to last through next year. Then I will worry about the next year after that. I will change oil frequently and inspect it before each ride. I will pamper it and keep it clean, and until next year I will just ride it and not worry. After all, it is a Honda.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Brent
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015

Post by Brent »

I had 24,070 (in 2.5 years of driving) on my 2015 PCX this morning. I put about 1,300 miles a month on my scooter, and it holds up nicely for the heavy workload I require of it!
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User

Post by slowpoke »

1,300 miles a month is 40+ miles a day every day, much more than my commute. Very encouraging.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Brent wrote:I had 24,070 (in 2.5 years of driving) on my 2015 PCX this morning. I put about 1,300 miles a month on my scooter, and it holds up nicely for the heavy workload I require of it!
Nice to fine someone doing more than me - I've clocked up 34,000km in 2.5 years.

With the exception of the known rear driven face noisy bearing issue, I've only had to change consumables - no other issues - the thing just runs like a swiss clock.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Still find it amazing how one little piston copes and lasts the way it does (and the seals with it) - amazing.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

iceman wrote:Still find it amazing how one little piston copes and lasts the way it does (and the seals with it) - amazing.
Once its run in if you use fully synthetic oil the internal component wear reduces to about nil.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

gn2 wrote:
iceman wrote:Still find it amazing how one little piston copes and lasts the way it does (and the seals with it) - amazing.
Once its run in if you use fully synthetic oil the internal component wear reduces to about nil.
Just the way we like it!
gauss80
Year: 2013 125 Esp
Color: white

Post by gauss80 »

I have on mine 12.500 Km but I hope to have it running for a while,... I know someone on another PCX forum in Italy that is claiming of having covered 130.000KM on the 2011 Pcx version,... he has given to me some advice that I ll try to follow but do not know if I ll be able to be so successfull.....
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx125/2012/gauss/535318 Image[/URL]
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

gauss80 wrote:he has given to me some advice that I ll try to follow but do not know if I ll be able to be so successfull.....
What was his advice?