Pampered Generation...

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Pampered Generation...

Post by homie »

not exactly embracing the concept of home improvement.
Home Depot panics that Millennials have no idea how to use tools.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (6.95 KiB) Viewed 2331 times
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Pampered Generation...

Post by easyrider »

I can see why they will panic.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Great news for the handful of tradespeople, though.

As one of my friends said: "There are doers and buyers. I choose to be a buyer."

He spends a lot of money on simple stuff.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Scary, ain't it?! It's a crying shame. No Curiosity. No Interest. No handy skills. Improvising will never occur. I'll say this, you'll Never See Them on the tv show SURVIVOR.

Wait!!That's the ticket! Put every teen on "Teen Survivor!"
Must graduate. Lesson's and Skills learnt.
There! I fixed that :lol:
Now Off you go to Home Depot (Lowes or Ace).
Build babycakes, Build!
(I need more coffee) :roll:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Scary, ain't it?! It's a crying shame. No Curiosity. No Interest. No handy skills. Improvising will never occur. I'll say this, you'll Never See Them on the tv show SURVIVOR.

Wait!!That's the ticket! Put every teen on "Teen Survivor!"
Must graduate. Lesson's and Skills learnt.
There! I fixed that :lol:
Now Off you go to Home Depot (Lowes or Ace).
Build babycakes, Build!
(I need more coffee) :roll:

No you don't :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Still wondering why more industries haven't figured out if you pressure fit and glue everything no one can disassemble and replace parts anyway. No need for the mechanically inclined. This is happening to the rebuilt starter and alternator companies. It's beginning to show its ugly face in my industry as well... Short lived disposable/recyclable everything must be the goal.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

homie wrote:Home Depot panics that Millennials have no idea how to use tools.
Surely not!

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Everything just keeps getting better and better. :lol:
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I think it just depends on who you grow up with. I'm sure do it yourself parents have kids with better understanding of how to use hand tools.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Gil wrote:I think it just depends on who you grow up with. I'm sure do it yourself parents have kids with better understanding of how to use hand tools.

Gil
I can't speak for all, but as a reasonably capable DIYer, my kids just get me to do it for them. It's generally faster that way too ...
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

TheMaverick wrote:
Gil wrote:I think it just depends on who you grow up with. I'm sure do it yourself parents have kids with better understanding of how to use hand tools.

Gil
I can't speak for all, but as a reasonably capable DIYer, my kids just get me to do it for them. It's generally faster that way too ...
I'm just guessing, lol. I don't have kids. I have always been a hands on person, maybe that's what kids are missing.

Gil
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Gil wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:

Gil
I'm just guessing, lol. I don't have kids. I have always been a hands on person, maybe that's what kids are missing.

Gil
LOL - I agree, but we're not allowed to "lay a hand on them" anymore! ;)
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

TheMaverick wrote:
Gil wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:

Gil
LOL - I agree, but we're not allowed to "lay a hand on them" anymore! ;)
Lol, totally not what I meant..

Gil
ImageImage
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Poverty is a great motivator . . . especially when there is no social safety net. :o o_O :roll: :? :|

It's amazing how creative one can be when it comes to survival. At the end of the day knowledge is power! ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am proud of my kids. Most have grown up knowing how to do things themselves. Hopefully their kids won't turn out to be a problem.
I learned a lot when I was in the military. Some of my sons went into the military, and some of my grandsons are in the military now.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

The kids have different skills more attuned to the modern world. They'll quite rightly laugh at us as relics. As our parents and grandparents had to endure from us :D

#olddaftpharts
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I am proud of my kids. Most have grown up knowing how to do things themselves. Hopefully their kids won't turn out to be a problem.
I learned a lot when I was in the military. Some of my sons went into the military, and some of my grandsons are in the military now.

So military then :D :D :lol:
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Mel46 wrote:I am proud of my kids. Most have grown up knowing how to do things themselves. Hopefully their kids won't turn out to be a problem.
Agreed. I initially tried to steer my eldest daughter that way for a nursing career (get paid to learn), but in her case - unfortunately - their was no cross-over of qualifications into civvy street so she ran with 1/2 a degree for free at the local polytech.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I think the kids today are a bit out of touch when the electricity goes out or they don't have the appropriate device to handle the chore. For example counting change in one's head seems to be a fading skill with the younger generation. No need to do math in the head when Texas Instruments, Casio, and IBM have given them devices to punch keys and get the answer. And those devices are the foundation for other devices. And so it goes. . .it's the "Machine". We are in a transitional phase. Things are changing very very quickly. If you want to see a good movie some time about what time in history seems so great. . .and maybe why. . .check out 8)

And in the mean time think about when this song was written. . .what it was like then. . .and how scary it is now that a lot of the message is coming true! :geek:

TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

PCX150Rider wrote:I think the kids today are a bit out of touch when the electricity goes out or they don't have the appropriate device to handle the chore. For example counting change in one's head seems to be a fading skill with the younger generation. No need to do math in the head when Texas Instruments, Casio, and IBM have given them devices to punch keys and get the answer. And those devices are the foundation for other devices. And so it goes. . .it's the "Machine". We are in a transitional phase. Things are changing very very quickly. If you want to see a good movie some time about what time in history seems so great. . .and maybe why. . .check out 8)

And in the mean time think about when this song was written. . .what it was like then. . .and how scary it is now that a lot of the message is coming true! :geek:

A standing joke of mine (concerning modern math) is:

Teacher: "If I have 5 pocket calculators and I take away 3 pocket calculators - how many pocket calculators do I have left?"

Student: "Um - I don't know miss - my batteries are flat".

The daughter of a friend of mine did a double degree (law and accounting) - but she struggled to work out which of 2 vehicles was the most economical allowing for different tank sizes.

I see this kind of thing all the time in modern society - people have lost the ability to think. I think the zombie apocalypse may have started.