running in

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: running in

Post by TheMaverick »

homie wrote:The story tells itself but don't look to electric vehicles to save us from the disposable engines and air pollution. To charge up millions of vehicles a day? It's not possible to deliver this kind of electricity grid on this planet... ever :lol: California thinks they will be the first to go full electric in 20 years by law :lol: this will not happen.
Finally - someone else gets it!

Nothing against electric personally - I'd love an LS218 or a Tesla P100D - but I don't think many realise just how much electricity is needed to charge a country full of them.
Gaikoku
Year: 2017
Color: Red/white

Post by Gaikoku »

Thanks for all the replies folks! (Sorry, been away a few days.) This was really useful for me. My conclusions: don't worry about it too much. Seems no-one has had a disastrous result from the "ride it hard" approach, and the PCX is a fairly tolerant little beast, so I'll do that (within my competence...). And practicing emergency braking may save your life in a way a 10% performance difference probably wouldn't.

Incidentally, there isn't necessarily any contradiction between Honda's official advice and the idea of running it in hard - so long as you accelerate slowly into that WOT, no problem.

If only Honda offered a 50 buck service to pre-optimise your engine, running it 20 miles on a dyno to maximise sealing etc....

Thanks again.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Gaikoku wrote:And practicing emergency braking may save your life in a way a 10% performance difference probably wouldn't.
If it's of any interest, there's a couple of internet resources regarding bike safety that might be of interest. One (a very good one) is run by Kevin Morris (a professional motorcycle instructor) - in particular he addresses some of the reasons people pull out in front of us (thus requiring some of that emergency braking) -- and the good news is that we actually have more control over that than many would first think. Here's a link to that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDwyqDr_9VA The other one (a very bad one) is run by me - but a hundred or so people seem to think there's enough of interest there to follow the page: https://www.facebook.com/MotorcycleTips ... StayAlive/
If only Honda offered a 50 buck service to pre-optimise your engine, running it 20 miles on a dyno to maximise sealing etc....
Hell - pay me $50 and I'll break bikes in for them! (I's a dirty job, but I'd love to do it!) :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:
homie wrote:The story tells itself but don't look to electric vehicles to save us from the disposable engines and air pollution. To charge up millions of vehicles a day? It's not possible to deliver this kind of electricity grid on this planet... ever :lol: California thinks they will be the first to go full electric in 20 years by law :lol: this will not happen.

Nothing against electric personally - I'd love an LS218 or a Tesla P100D - but I don't think many realise just how much electricity is needed to charge a country full of them.
Or how much petrol is needed to fill country full of petrol cars. Gosh I Hadn't thought of that.

At least electricity can be renewable. In pretty sure fossil hydrocarbons can't. You'll know best for us all though.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

you you wrote:You'll know best for us all though.
Dude, just go away. You're embarrassing.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (13.27 KiB) Viewed 562 times
Apparently not.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Apparently not.

You may not be aware that youyou probably has a lot more friends on this forum than you do.

Your sense of humour bypass is showing.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

you you wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:

Or how much petrol is needed to fill country full of petrol cars. Gosh I Hadn't thought of that.

At least electricity can be renewable. In pretty sure fossil hydrocarbons can't. You'll know best for us all though.
Righto - now that I've got the time, lets talk about the elephant in the room.

Interesting that Homie raised the topic - I agreed with him - and yet (once again) it was me whom you chose to attack. This suggests to me that you're not interested in a rational conversation - only interested in continued personal attacks on me. Interesting.

Not that you'll be interested in anything factual, but:

- Proven oil reserves on earth are at 1,700,000,000,000 barrels.

- Humans consume around 95,000,000 barrels per day

- At the current rate - assuming that no more reserves were found (highly unlikely) - then we'd run out in ... around another 49 years.

- There are currently 1.2 billion cars in the world - and that's climbed from 1,000,000,000 in 2010 to 1,200,000,000 in 2014. Electric vehicles in contrast are currently at around 0.1%.

- Renewable energy is only 2.8% of global energy consumed (up from 0.8% 10 years ago) - so the renewable energy you speak of is hardly likely to replace conventional energy any time soon.

- One report has estimated the charging infrastructure to support 500,000,000 electric vehicles at 2.7 TRILLION dollars - and (to the best of my knowledge) that doesn't even include the funds needed to increase electricity generation (many countries are already struggling).
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

JohnL wrote:Apparently not.

You may not be aware that youyou probably has a lot more friends on this forum than you do.

Your sense of humour bypass is showing.
John,

I wouldn't know, although I could certainly direct you to other posts where people have indicated a disapproval for some of his comments made. I'm not interested in a popularity contest - or a pissing contest either. I'm just sick to death of the guys unprovoked attacks on me.

I've asked him several times to just put me on his foes list so he never sees anything I write, but still the attacks continue. In contrast I refrain from commenting on anything he writes (unless it's defending myself as in the above example) - I just wish he'd show me the same courtesy.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Maverick, here is how I imagine youyou.

He gets off work after another relentless day of irritating people.
With briefcase in hand strolls into the local pub on the way home to blow it off.
After a stiff drink he gets out his laptop and clicks 'view new'
Whatever comes to mind because people are soooooooo irritating... he lets me have it.
Unloads his hectic day on me... it's nothing personal.

I think youyou was like the first forum member.
He has seen every topic a hundred times over. He's answered the same stupid questions so many times we are just boring him to death. I serve to satisfy his frustration, to vent his daily routine in short pointed rebellion.. it don't bother me.

This might not be correct at all but if it is I get it. Sometimes I think i'm headed down the same road :)
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

homie wrote:Maverick, here is how I imagine youyou.

He gets off work after another relentless day of irritating people.
With briefcase in hand strolls into the local pub on the way home to blow it off.
After a stiff drink he gets out his laptop and clicks 'view new'
Whatever comes to mind because people are soooooooo irritating... he lets me have it.
Unloads his hectic day on me... it's nothing personal.

I think youyou was like the first forum member.
He has seen every topic a hundred times over. He's answered the same stupid questions so many times we are just boring him to death. I serve to satisfy his frustration, to vent his daily routine in short pointed rebellion.. it don't bother me.

This might not be correct at all but if it is I get it. Sometimes I think i'm headed down the same road :)
It's human nature that people won't always get along - that's understandable. In situations where people who don't get along HAVE to work together then things can "get interesting", but that's not the case here. The beauty of the board software is that the blocking feature works well - and indeed the member under discussion has been the sole entry on my blocked list for a long time - unfortunately though, I still need to over-ride frequently that to ensure I'm not being attacked by said member and need to defend myself again.

Nothing would make me happier than for me to be added to his list too so each is blissfully unaware of the others contributions. That's what I already do as a courtesy to that member -- I just wish he'd do the same in return. No change in behaviour after asking for this courtesy several times now.

I try hard to make meaningful contributions to the experiences of other PCX riders here - and I think I achieve that; we all have life experiences that can be of help in certain areas - I take the time to document mine and take the trouble to explain the "why" rather than just the "what". Nobody has to agree with anything I offer, but in an adult conversation it's nice if those who don't agree can explain WHY (so we can discuss it and both learn) rather than just a "hit and run" attack with the inference that I'm both clueless and stupid (I'm neither) (and a few "lols" thrown in at the end don't disguise the attack and turn it into anything acceptable either).

I'm sure that he has been here forever; personally I don't hold an equivalence between quantity and quality, but that's a conversation for another day. I was the administrator of a large site - I made 17,662 posts over many years - but when I got to the point when I got bored and frustrated with answering the same question for the 100th time I concluded that it was better for me to move on and let others carry on in my place.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I like you-you ..... but i'm p*ssed that I don't own a Norton Fastback like he used to ride.