**Update** A short string of bad luck.....

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Newsasquatch
Regular User
Regular User
Year: N/A
Color: N/A

**Update** A short string of bad luck.....

Post by Newsasquatch »

This is an update to my original post: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8161

It has been about a couple of weeks since I was in the accident and saw the insurance adjustor, who was actually really weird, and took pictures and talked to me in a rushed way and was literally in and out in less than 2 minutes. Anyways, I've been wondering what the hell has been going on, and if I'm going to get any money or not, and I received this letter in the mail with a check (as pictured).

First of all, I've been wondering what I'd do when or if I got an offer/check and told myself that I would negotiate by telling them that there's no way that this adjustor could give me a fair price by just taking pictures for 2 minutes, and that it should have been checked out by a mechanic, but I gotta admit that this seems like a fair price--especially considering the fact that the bike is a 2015 with about 6000 miles on it, and it was probably only worth 2600 (at best) before the accident. I also don't think I even need to take it into the shop and could just do most of the fixes myself since it's only cosmetic damage. What do all of you think, is this amount fair for the damage shown in my original post?

The prudent part of me thinks that I should just pay the majority toward the financed loan of the bike itself, so that I owe less but still get to have a working scooter--even if it doesn't look as pretty. The pcx lover part tells me to pix it up myself and just pay the rest toward the loan. What do all of you think I should do?

Thanks!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (59.76 KiB) Viewed 810 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: **Update** A short string of bad luck.....

Post by homie »

Oh hell ya!
That's plenty good money to buy panels and fix the bike yourself. Eighteen hundred and you get to keep the wreck? A whole new set of panels in any color on eBay can be had for 3-4 hundred.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

I'm with Homie on this.

First and foremost though, just be 100% certain that the bike is 100.00% mechanically safe. Other than that - personally - I'd fix it up (doing as much as I could myself) and use the balance to reduce the amount owing.

Reminds me of the time I had a $8125 Rolex stolen - Insurance had to buy me a new one - and the new model was $12,400. Sometimes you get a win (and they had it on my wrist in 60 hours from 1st report -- I was pretty impressed) (been a big fan of insurance ever since!).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

:roll: Anyhoo...I’d fix it and trouser the difference.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The main thing that you would have to be concerned with is the frame, then the steering, then the wheels. If all of those are fine, consider fixing it yourself. If you are new to the pcx world, buy a service manual. That way you can do most of your own maintenance. While you are waiting for it to arrive see if anyone can email the panel part of the manual so that you can move ahead.
It can be done. Just have patience. I repaired both of our bikes after our accident and the total cost was close to 1/3 of what you just received...and that was two bikes, not one. Look up your needed parts from Partzilla.com
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hot damn you gotta check! Saweet! 8) Are ya feeling ok?
Then it's time to get her fit to ride.
I Vote for do it yourself fall/winter project assuming you have the time and some skills.
Order a service manual. Make a list of parts needed including a handlebar. Order them.
Hey! Nows your chance to go dual colors on the tupperware should you choose to do so. Be it a first? I'm thinking so :)
If there's excess $$ after the bike is safe to ride and to your liking, then put it towards your loan.
Get on it!
Soothe thy butt 'n back :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Reminder fam, this is a 2015 White PCX that needs fixing

Download (PDF) Parts list here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4045
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

A photo taken from my Service Manual (print it) could be better visually. If someone has a better sharper photo please share. Thanks
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (212.76 KiB) Viewed 810 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Hot damn you gotta check! Saweet! 8) Are ya feeling ok?
Then it's time to get her fit to ride.
I Vote for do it yourself fall/winter project assuming you have the time and some skills.
Order a service manual. Make a list of parts needed including a handlebar. Order them.
Hey! Nows your chance to go dual colors on the tupperware should you choose to do so. Be it a first? I'm thinking so :)
If there's excess $$ after the bike is safe to ride and to your liking, then put it towards your loan.
Get on it!
Soothe thy butt 'n back :D

Sounds like a plan.
forza300
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by forza300 »

Sounds like an ok deal. I just missed an opportunity in Oz to buy a near new PCX150 like yours which had slid down the road. Other than some scratches it was fine, and he only wanted $AU 1800 for it. It was NEW. Lasted about 3 days before someone bought it.

Lots of people are put off by scratches, dings etc. As long as it's not written-off by the insurance company I bet you could do some repair and either keep it or sell it and get a new one.

Reminds me of a time I low-sided on gravel on my motorbike and had to ride home with a bent-up handlebar and no right footpeg.

It took a little while to regain my confidence but I went by the theory that the sooner I get back on the bike the better. I was back riding within 1 day with a makeshift repair to the footpeg and replacement bars from the local bike shop.

Glad you're ok. Looking forward to hear how you go with the repairs :)

Honda OEM parts are not overly expensive from memory however, I have not experimented with buying OEM plastics.
------------------------
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

The main thing that you would have to be concerned with is the frame, then the steering, then the wheels. If all of those are fine, consider fixing it yourself. If you are new to the pcx world, buy a service manual. That way you can do most of your own maintenance. While you are waiting for it to arrive see if anyone can email the panel part of the manual so that you can move ahead.
It can be done. Just have patience. I repaired both of our bikes after our accident and the total cost was close to 1/3 of what you just received...and that was two bikes, not one. Look up your needed parts from Partzilla.com
X2 8)
Newsasquatch
Regular User
Regular User
Year: N/A
Color: N/A

Post by Newsasquatch »

Man thanks for all of the advice and time that was spent posting the parts. Ya'll are some stand up guys. Yeah after hearing some of the earlier advice, I just went with it and put the money in my acct. Honestly, the first thing I actually need is a handlebar for now. Everything else is just cosmetic since it has run perfect since. Interesting that my bad luck turned out to be a little mix of good with the bad. I might look into making the panels multicolored. But yeah the panels might be a summer project since I'm a university student and physics, and biochemistry are taking up my life.

The biggest thing I want right now is those shocks that I ordered on the 3rd of this month from bikerzbits. The website still shows it as "processing". I don't know if it's on its way or not. I had to pay 90 dollars just for shipping from them, for fed ex five day shipping. Well, its been a bit more than five days and my back is sore every day from riding without shocks. I understand it's coming from Thailand but I just wish there were more communication from them instead of just, "processing".

Well thanks again everyone!
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Sounds like a good plan. Keep us informed!