Transmission Noise

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Orty

Transmission Noise

Post by Orty »

Hi All
I have a 2011 PCX125 with 7k miles on it now.
All the use has been 2up and it's only used as a motorhome tender during spring and summer months.

Now the question!
After washing it down today ready for winter storage I noticed a noise from the transmission housing.
Cant say I've ever heard this before, or has it been there all along?
If I put my hand over the breather outlet of the transmission case the noise reduces by about 50%.
Increasing throttle speed does not make the noise any different

Short of listening to another PCX I just wondered you experts have to say.

Orty
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Transmission Noise

Post by easyrider »

What kind of noise? specify sound? Knocking, howling, etc., etc. You mentioned washing it down and thereafter a noise appeared. Water get anywhere it shouldn't have ??
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Transmission or clutch bearing area? If you put the bike on its center stand and spun the back wheel backwards does the noise increase?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Mel46 wrote:Transmission or clutch bearing area? If you put the bike on its center stand and spun the back wheel backwards does the noise increase?
I'd say Mel's on to it - The bike is notorious for this up to and including the 2014 model.

Here's a video of my bike making it:

If it is that - the good news - is that (a) it's not too hard to fit yourself with a few tools and one relatively inexpensive part and (b) in my experience anyway - despite how rough it sounds - it just "kept on keeping on" (I finally changed it around the 32,000km mark).

I also found that my dealer had no idea what it was.
Orty

Post by Orty »

Thanks everybody for the replies.
I called at a dealer yesterday for his opinion, he didn't think the noise was excessive.
It actually sounded a little quieter once the bike had warmed up.
He did agree with Mel however that the bearing in question sometimes does cause this noise.
So the decision is to remove the housing and at the very least blow out anything that has settled in there and check the bearing sometime over the winter months.
Stay safe and thanks
Orty
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Orty wrote:So the decision is to remove the housing and at the very least blow out anything that has settled in there and check the bearing sometime over the winter months.
If it's "the usual suspect" then "blowing it out" won't do anything. Re-greasing MAY help (there have been unconfirmed reports that a lack of grease has been a contributing factor) - but for the most part it just gets rougher sounding over time.

The bearings can be changed, but buying a whole new driven face assy and bearings isn't much more - and would be a trivial job for any professional mechanic. There are a few videos floating around showing how it's done. Did mine a few weeks ago with no issues.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Where are you located? Prices vary by £100's dependant on where on the globe you are located.
The driven face, final assembly part 8 (complete replacement assembly with grease tube) costs well over £105 here in the UK + labour and VAT unless it's done under warranty within the 2 year period (if dealer servicing has been kept up)

Assuming it is part 8 (or the bearings therein) and an older bike as you state, then you can do it yourself. I'm about to do it as I have the part and my bike has had a bad sound for almost a year, so hope no other damage has been done (such as the drive shaft or such).

The final drive complete assembly costs less than £35 all-in including air-freight delivery using Partzilla (took under 2 weeks to arrive). I took a chance and ordered the part hoping it's the usual bearings to blame, but it can be something else which I hope it isn't.

I believe there are two final drive assemblies - one for older models and one for newer '15 onwards versions - best check on that before you order it (if you do) - again, partzilla will show you what is available upon bike/year selection.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The 2011 model remained the same, so if it has a problem it would probably be part #8, which is the entire assembly. The bad parts are probably the bearing #18 and #19.
http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/H ... parts.html

Also keep in mind that the 2011 model had a problem with the center stand which caused the case to crack, so make sure there are no cracks underneath while you are checking everything else.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Orty

Post by Orty »

Thanks Mel, will do
Orty
Nemesis
Year: 2012

Post by Nemesis »

iceman wrote:I believe there are two final drive assemblies - one for older models and one for newer '15 onwards versions - best check on that before you order it (if you do) - again, partzilla will show you what is available upon bike/year selection.

There is part number 23205-KWN-640 for pre LED model and also part number 23205-K35-V00 for 2015+ LED model.

Both models use same bearings as separate parts (18 and 19) and I think that both parts could be identical. Could someone with new-LED PCX 125 service manual check the service limits for the "driven face" and "movable driven face". Just to compare them with pre LED values.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Nemesis wrote:
iceman wrote:I believe there are two final drive assemblies - one for older models and one for newer '15 onwards versions - best check on that before you order it (if you do) - again, partzilla will show you what is available upon bike/year selection.
There is part number 23205-KWN-640 for pre LED model and also part number 23205-K35-V00 for 2015+ LED model.
Both models use same bearings as separate parts (18 and 19) and I think that both parts could be identical. Could someone with new-LED PCX 125 service manual check the service limits for the "driven face" and "movable driven face". Just to compare them with pre LED values.
I wondered what the difference in the two 'assemblies' was, but why would Honda have two different parts (complete items) listed if there was no need for differences somewhere in the parts used?