Just in time for the riding season

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

Thomaspin
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Just in time for the riding season

Post by Thomaspin »

New 2013 PCX 150, knocked down 30% by the dealer.

The riding season in southern AZ runs from September through May, so nine months of happiness beckon.
IMG_6958-2.jpg
IMG_6958-2.jpg (392.32 KiB) Viewed 854 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: Just in time for the riding season

Post by PCX150Rider »

Congrats! and let the games begin. :D

Is it brand new or just new to you? A Service Manual may be a good thing to invest in if you like to work on it yourself. Otherwise just follow the maintenance schedules in the Owners Manual. If it's used then try to get any maintenance history on it you can so you'll have a benchmark.

I'm sure Homie will be posting here soon with some additional advice. He's created and in a sense curates a lot of maintenance videos for PCX do-it-yourself home mechanics. 8)
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Congrats on your new baby!

Mine is a 2013 model (purchased 2015) also.

Are you new to riding?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Nice Deal! Congrats! After 4 seasons, I still love my red '13. For you, the season may be beginning, but for me, it is within a month or so of wrapping up. Tonight was the first 40º F ride of the fall, and it was brisk.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Wimps :D

I ride 365 :)
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

TheMaverick wrote:Wimps :D

But, do you ride in the rain?

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Gil wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:Wimps :D

But, do you ride in the rain?

Gil
Yep - and wind - and at night - and all 3 together with a pillion on the back :)

Seriously, rain doesn't present any issues for me - I wear wind/rain proof over-trousers all day anyway, so if it starts to rain I either let my puffer jacket take the hit (I have a drying room at home that I keep electronic gear in) or if it's too heavy then I put on a thick vinyl raincoat I keep in the Givi box. I quite like riding in the rain to be honest - quite relaxing.

Temperature-wise though, it's no great heroics as even in winter the temp doesn't go much below freezing here and I only need to do runs of about 15km - a polar fleece jacket under my puffer jacket along with gloves and grip heaters keep everything warm enough.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

@TheMaverick I have only ridden in the rain once and only because it caught me halfway home, got soucked. I didn't mind the rain and it was relaxing. I have been looking for rain gear. What brand is your vinyl raincoat? I would like to get one of those and over-trouser rain proof pants.

gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Gil wrote:@TheMaverick I have only ridden in the rain once and only because it caught me halfway home, got soucked. I didn't mind the rain and it was relaxing. I have been looking for rain gear. What brand is your vinyl raincoat? I would like to get one of those and over-trouser rain proof pants.

gil
I started out with a fancy rain suit that took me 1/4 hour to get into - and then it leaked :(

For me the best solution was the cheapest - a 4XL bright yellow PVC raincoat that I can put on over everything else. Cheap as chips ($15 off memory).

In the rain just be REALLY careful of road markings and even more careful of tar snakes - you really don't want to go over them with any lateral loadings (ie in a turn) when it's wet. Even be careful your feet don't slide on them if you're stopping (I had a boot shoot out about a foot once - on a slope - wouldn't have taken too much more to tear something in my leg and/or drop the bike).

The overpants are a waterproof nylon - also "cheap as" - they can be folded back into their own pocket when not in use. I also keep a facecloth in the scooter's glove box - great for drying off the seat and a quick cleanup of and water that gets in around the neck from under the helmet. Helmet will usually fog up without a pinlock - and I leave mine slightly ajar when riding in the rain - no problems.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (22.51 KiB) Viewed 837 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Wimps :D

I do as well and have since 1972 when I got my first Suzuki TC90.

My Genuine Roughhouse is my salt/snow scoot for Winter and also my rain scoot for Summer around town. The only rust that's starting on it so far is just the kickstand spring. Good little machine. I have to admit I only use my PCX in good weather. My motorcycles are quite old now and they've seen their share of what Nature has to offer so they too are "fair weather only" machines. That being said as long as there is no salt on the road or ice I do ride them all year-round. 8)

I must admit the two-wheeled herd thins out significantly in the cold weather around here. The heavy iron of the "bandana headed hooligans" hibernates in the garages after the fall of the leaves but will reappear in Spring with the return of the migrating birds. :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Maverick, it isn't fair to compare your riding conditions with anyone one else. New Zealand is one of the best countries to ride in that I have ever been to. I admit that it has been a long long time since I was there, but when I was there I did not want to leave. It is beautiful and the people there were much more polite than most people I have been around here in the United States.

On the rain gear subject, I had one of those PVC rain suits once and when I wore it during rain I sweated so much that I may as well have gotten wet from the rain. Maybe I had a cheaper one that had no way of 'breathing'. I just know that I was glad to get out of it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome to our forums Thomaspin! I have no doubt that you will enjoy your riding season. Take your time get acquainted and enjoy each others company.
I love reading about new members getting a bike! It's So Dang EXCITING!! 8) Woot!!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Waterproof overpants fit nicely in the small storage hatch of the Owl PCXs. Useful if you get caught.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

On the rain gear subject, I had one of those PVC rain suits once and when I wore it during rain I sweated so much that I may as well have gotten wet from the rain. Maybe I had a cheaper one that had no way of 'breathing'. I just know that I was glad to get out of it.
That is SSSSSSSsssssssssssoooooooooooo true. Especially when the humidity is intense. I bought a Froggs Toggs suit and can't complain. It's more like a fabric than a rubber or vinyl material. Very light weight also.

http://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear-a ... -rain-suit

On another note, I've got a full sized "Homer Simpson" mask. . .totally fits over my head. . .and I can only wear that thing for about 10 minutes at a time because all the CO2 and water from my breathing gets trapped in it and the holes for the eyes and mouth aren't that big. . .hence minimal ventilation. Great looking mask though. . .just a real sweat bag. :lol: :roll: :o 8)
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Mel46 wrote:Maverick, it isn't fair to compare your riding conditions with anyone one else. New Zealand is one of the best countries to ride in that I have ever been to. I admit that it has been a long long time since I was there, but when I was there I did not want to leave. It is beautiful and the people there were much more polite than most people I have been around here in the United States.
There is a standard saying here: "Just another boring day in paradise" - but, I dunno, definitely feels pretty routine to me. Sometimes there will be a nice sunset on the ride home and I'll be thinking "I should be creating a new photo of this" but for the most part my daily commute is nothing to get excited about - it's just roads and buildings and traffic like many other parts of the world. Would be great if it were all coastal or alpine cruising on nice days, but they tend to be what tourists remember more than what most experience on a day-to-day basis.

One thing I have thought about doing though is creating a "virtual tourist" FB page (I know the name has already been used) - I for one would be fascinated to be able to tag along on other peoples car or bike journeys (or even just local walkabouts) just to experience life in their part of the world; 99% of what I do get to see of other cultures is highly "curated" professionally-shot footage for tourism organisations and in my opinion, those types of productions leave more of a "romanticised" impression than a real one. I'd love to be able to exchange videos with others showing REAL footage. Kinda like a vlog site, but where where everyone can contribute.
Mine was absolutely horrid. Many years ago I was an avid SCUBA diving instructor - and I sweat that my wetsuit was considerably easier to put on than my rain suit. The PVC jacket just works a treat for me.
Thomaspin
Color: Red

Post by Thomaspin »

Added the Givi Monokey E251 Universal Mounting Plate mounted on the Honda 08L70-KXY-910 Rear Trunk Attachment Kit, which required the drilling of four 7/8" pass-through holes in the tail cowling. The Honda Attachment Kit is very nicely made.

The top case is the Givi E33 (33 liter) Monokey which has the right appearance to my eyes on the PCX. It also serves nicely as a passenger backrest and is quickly detachable for attachment to other bikes.
IMG_6966.jpg
IMG_6966.jpg (107.2 KiB) Viewed 779 times
I use the same case on one of my BMW bikes and it will hold even a large full face helmet like the Shoei Neotec (which does not fit under the seat) and is an excellent match for the wind roar on the PCX, as it is very quiet. The built in flip-down sun visor is also a welcome feature.

To answer the questions above, the bike was new when I purchased it and I have some 250,000 miles on two (motorized) wheels.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

To answer the questions above, the bike was new when I purchased it and I have some 250,000 miles on two (motorized) wheels.
You are obviously doing something right! May the force be with you on the next 250. . .. ;) :D 8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I wear waterproof bike kit all the time, so no need to stop to clamber into over suits or the like.
The climate here is never too warm.
I've always fancied a gliding trip to New Zealand, the wave soaring there is outstanding.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

gn2 wrote: I've always fancied a gliding trip to New Zealand, the wave soaring there is outstanding.
Ah - a fellow aviator. I did a bit in a KA7 back in the early 80's, but gave it up when it was hindering my training for PPL.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Other way round for me, my gliding experience significantly sped up my gaining a PPL
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong