New guy looking

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Koolpcx

New guy looking

Post by Koolpcx »

Good morning all...I'm currently in the market for a used pcx...just curious if there are any years that are better than others or what year might be a better deal. I've looked at several 125's and then the later 150s is there really much difference to be noticed between the early years the 2011 and 2012 vs the 2013 and up? I live in the country and got a job that's only 3 miles from my house and that's mainly what it will be used for...I'm a bigger guy I'm roughly 265lb so I need to take that into account as well...looking forward to all of the great info here
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: New guy looking

Post by homie »

Yes, you've come to the right place. Welcome :) First we need more information in your profile so we have an idea where you are shopping. To get an idea what you should be paying in the states link here...
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... ay#p110684

This shows what happened to PCX in 2015 when the latest upgrades were implemented by Honda. Note the seat, body panels, LED lights etc.
Attachments
honda pcx.jpg
honda pcx.jpg (279.25 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Mine is a 2013 ESP 150 PCX - I'm about the same weight - bike handles it no problem what-so-ever. The latest models have LED lighting and a bigger fuel tank, but not a lot of other differences.

I'd say a 2013 model is possibly the sweet spot for you. Some of the earlier (ie 2012 and before) models developed cracks where the centre stand it attached - can be quite a major if not caught in time.
Koolpcx

Post by Koolpcx »

I'm currently looking at a 13 on Craigslist...it's about 2 hours from me and an 11 that's fairly close both are pretty much the same price and thank you for helping...I've updated my location and really enjoy the picture showing the differences

This is the 13
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy ... 05742.html

And the 11
https://dayton.craigslist.org/mcy/d/201 ... 68906.html
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Koolpcx wrote:I'm currently looking at a 13 on Craigslist...it's about 2 hours from me and an 11 that's fairly close both are pretty much the same price and thank you for helping...I've updated my location and really enjoy the picture showing the differences

This is the 13

And the 11
The 2011 looks like a pre ESP. If that's the case I'd avoid tbh
Koolpcx

Post by Koolpcx »

Is there that much difference between the pre esp(125) and the 150?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Yep... take that beautiful black 2013 if those are your choices. I'm sorry I don't know what a 125cc performs like.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I'm around 250 lbs. and my 2017 PCX 150 works great for me. That being said I don't take it on Interstate Highways where the speed limit is 65 MPH. Just roads or state roads with speeds up to 50 or so tops. The seat is the only issue I have with mine. It's fine for around town but not for long trips if you are a heavy hiker. I've done as much as 75 miles with it in round one trip and after that it does leave one a bit uncomfortable. There are aftermarket seats available on the internet that other posters can fill you in on in the accessories section of this forum.

The PCX is a great scooter in my opinion and has great fuel economy and ample power. Parts are available to order from internet retailers and Honda dealers are abundant for maintenance and repair services. 8)
Koolpcx

Post by Koolpcx »

Thank you all...I'm gonna try to make an offer today on the 13...i want a good deal..i just don't want it to slip out of my fingers..it's hard to find a good pcx right now
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

I'm about the same size as you and My 2013 PCX 150 ESP works great for me.
The only things I would recommend are:
a humpectomy and some padding or new seat
add lighting, especially driving lights.

The non-LED headlights are quite dim. Plus, adding LED strips, COB LEDs and other lighting will make you more visible.
I've been on some long rides (longest one was 800 miles/2 days) and the PCX handled great.
The smaller tank on the 2013 is a blessing in disguise. Regular breaks gives you time to stretch.
But, I would recommend a small gas can on longer rides, in case you can't make it to a station.

Dave

Post by Koolpcx »

Thank you for your advice
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Koolpcx welcome aboard our forums!
Here's my input and what I'd consider: used I'd be in the market for a 2015 or newer with low miles, and color White. I'd want a clean bike, minimal if any scratches and def tires with good tread. For me good care of the exterior of the bike indicates the same for internal care. I realize that is Not always the case, but more so than not.
You are a newbie to riding....yes? Are you mechanically inclined, have skills to update a used scooter. Tires, brakes, fluids, valve check etc.? Some folks only inflate tires and that's okay as long as someone else can maintain their bike ($$$) or a friend/relative for them :P
Keep safety in mind while shopping. Bring a friend along or someone that knows about bikes and have them look your chosen bike over.

I have to run now, others will give you their good advice.
Btw, Do look over at the thread that homie linked you to earlier. Many PCX's for sale across the U.S.
Cheers and Good Luck!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Koolpcx wrote:Is there that much difference between the pre esp(125) and the 150?

Yes pre ESP can have mainstand issues leading to crankcase cracking. ESP models of 125 and 150 were comprehensively redesigned
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I would recommend that you go with the 150, you get like higher horsepower, like 1.8hp. The non LED headlights are fine. I just prefer the newer technology of LED, they consume less electrical power. I looked for a 150 to legally be able to hop on the highway and not be afraid of a ticket as I have been pulled over on other highway legal scooter for that reason. The scoot is great for roads under 55mph, just keep that in mind. I have taken mine on 400 mile day trips and it handled them fine. The price on the black one is good, specially if the body is in good condition. Also you MPG will vary depending on how you ride. I'm a jack rabbit rider, hence my MPG. The seat hump is going to be in the way. Humping it involves cutting and adding foam, that's one reason I like the 2015+.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Gil wrote:I would recommend that you go with the 150, you get like higher horsepower, like 1.8hp. The non LED headlights are fine. I just prefer the newer technology of LED, they consume less electrical power. I looked for a 150 to legally be able to hop on the highway and not be afraid of a ticket as I have been pulled over on other highway legal scooter for that reason. The scoot is great for roads under 55mph, just keep that in mind. I have taken mine on 400 mile day trips and it handled them fine. The price on the black one is good, specially if the body is in good condition. Also you MPG will vary depending on how you ride. I'm a jack rabbit rider, hence my MPG. The seat hump is going to be in the way. Humping it involves cutting and adding foam, that's one reason I like the 2015+.

Gil

Please don't hump it :lol:
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

You You, you know what I meant. LOL

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

PCX150Rider wrote:The seat is the only issue I have with mine. It's fine for around town but not for long trips if you are a heavy hiker. I've done as much as 75 miles with it in round one trip and after that it does leave one a bit uncomfortable. There are aftermarket seats available on the internet that other posters can fill you in on in the accessories section of this forum.
I think it's something we can get used to. Mine came with a hump that I found uncomfortable (so I took it off). Did 300+ km in a day just last week - no real problems - wasn't sore anywhere the next day. On some of the longer stints I'd just stand up for a few seconds a couple of times then "get back to it".
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Koolpcx wrote:I'm currently looking at a 13 on Craigslist...it's about 2 hours from me and an 11 that's fairly close both are pretty much the same price and thank you for helping...I've updated my location and really enjoy the picture showing the differences

This is the 13

And the 11
The '13 looks great. I'd probably give it an oil change just so you know where you're at re: servicing. It'll eventually need other parts over time (as anything mechanical does), but they're cheap, freely available, and in most cases easily fitted.

Good luck!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

YES IT'S A HUMPER! but look at it 8) 1650.00 A really, really fast scooter with a hump in the saddle. Faster than a stock LED PCX.
Attachments
humper.jpg
humper.jpg (24.48 KiB) Viewed 1691 times
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

you you wrote:
Koolpcx wrote:Is there that much difference between the pre esp(125) and the 150?
Yes pre ESP can have mainstand issues leading to crankcase cracking. ESP models of 125 and 150 were comprehensively redesigned
Ditto ..... avoid the pre ESP 2011 because of the center stand issue in particular, but also because of it being a 125. You will be much happier with the 150.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(