2018 Honda PCX Performance

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

CaliCal
Year: 2013
Color: Red

2018 Honda PCX Performance

Post by CaliCal »

Anyone else buy the 2018 PCX and make performance upgrades? I rode a 2013 PCX for 3 years before getting a new one and I added rollers to the old one. For some reason my 2018 seems really slow. I even got beat by a Vespa today which really pissed me off. Thinking of getting rollers again. Anyone try this yet on the 2018 model? Any difference?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Re: 2018 Honda PCX Performance

Post by alx123 »

If it's a vespa 300 then it's okay. But if you intend on racing, sell the PCX and buy a bigger bike.

Rollers on the PCX not gonna help you against an R6 for example..that will piss you off for sure
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
CaliCal

Post by CaliCal »

Hey Alx123,
It def wasnt a 300, so the CC was the same as the PCX. Im not interested in going fast on another bike. Id like to go fast on my PCX :). Anyone add a turbo to a PCX ever? Might just do rollers and be happy.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

The new ones are a few % down on past models for performance but not too much behind
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

In 2015 along with the LED lights and redesigned body structure Honda changed the gearing on PCX. It slowed down the new PCX enough that any earlier models, greyhounds, ostrich and a some chickens according to Mr. Chin can out run it. Put the entire NCY vario kit with 13 gram rollers (not just rollers and only 13g) and you will blow them all away... including the chickens.

Place your location in your profile and maybe somebody will direct you to the parts locally. I believe 78mph downhill with a tailwind on stock rubber is the best you can expect with NCY.
CaliCal

Post by CaliCal »

Iceman - about how much % did they lose? Why did they do this?

Homie - I care mostly about acceleration and less about top speed. I added 12g rollers to my previous PCX (2013) and definitely felt a pick up difference. Do I need the NCY vario kit or can I just add 12g rollers or maybe lighter like last time?

This might sound crazy but has anyone put a turbo on a PCX ever?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

I got outran by almost any 150 and below moped around here (Bangkok). The 2016 up model is slow, engine designed for fuel efficiency, and the PCx is heavy for its displacement. That Vespa probably outran you because it is lighter.

NMAX and Aerox run circles around me here. I call mine a chicken chaser.

But 13g rollers might help a little. Thai people changed to thinner tires and ditch the alloy wheels for spokes wheels.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

these guys always leave me in smokes and dusts all the time..

their stock exhaust is also modified for less restriction, i can tell by the way it sounds..

and probably some variator mods for sure..

i was always left with the chickens to deal with..
Attachments
pcxblahblah.jpg
pcxblahblah.jpg (71.15 KiB) Viewed 7751 times
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Do you know the benefits of those spoked wheels? Faster scoot? lower rolling resistance?

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

^^ that will allow them to put on the thinnest tires possible, thus lighter and faster.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Do you know where one could purchase those?
Sounds interesting.

Gil
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

CaliCal wrote:Homie - I care mostly about acceleration and less about top speed. I added 12g rollers to my previous PCX (2013) and definitely felt a pick up difference. Do I need the NCY vario kit or can I just add 12g rollers or maybe lighter like last time? This might sound crazy but has anyone put a turbo on a PCX ever?
I haven't tried just 12g rollers in a stock vario but I did put 12g in the NCY vario and it did have higher RPM off the block but was unsatisfactory for the rest of the power band. 13g is the sweet spot for that aftermarket kit. Go ahead and experiment with rollers in a stock vario as you did with your 2013 and report your findings please, this is how we all learn new things. No turbo charged PCX has been shown in here yet :lol:

I want to mention if you used those bicycle wheels on a PCX you would lose weight and mass for sure but wouldn't you bust your butt pretty quick on just about any surface or weather condition that was even slightly less than bone dry and clear of all debris?
Yes, I think you would :D I'll run with the chickens thank you
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Again we don't know where you are but if you're in California I still have these 12 gram rollers with 2 miles on them if you want them PM your addy and I'll get them moving out of my inventory ASAP.

CaliCal

Post by CaliCal »

Man, thats so disappointing but the notion that trying to make the PCX faster is a big headache and not worth makes me sad but it seems to make a lot of sense. At the end of the day I really enjoy riding my PCX but the power loss from the 2013 model is noticeable.

Im going to order 13g rollers and put it in the stock vario. Might take a month or two but will report my findings back here. In the meantime, keep the comments rolling in on previous experiments.
CaliCal

Post by CaliCal »

Anyone installed this performance chip on their PCX? Thoughts?

http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detail/e ... nda/pcx150
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

CaliCal wrote:Anyone installed this performance chip on their PCX? Thoughts?

Who are these people o_O this is some of the most elaboratly customized detailed sales presentation I have ever seen on the net. Play with their product selection for ANY vehicle and watch the show OMG!
http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/subcateg ... e-upgrades
Listen to how just one pitch reads for a rev limiter (delete) on a Buell.

We consider the XB9R as a compact executive Motorcycle, but that name doesn't quite do the job, does it? Sleek, comfortable, and powerful, your XB9R is your baby for a reason. Designed to run forever and look good for the duration, this Motorcycle still does miss that low range hp and fuel efficiency might be deemed supreme. Improve low range hp and fuel efficiency in a short while, by installing this motorcycle rev limiter or peruse other upgrades we offer specifically for the XB9R on magnumtuning.com, and install the magnum motorcycle rev limiter that will allow your Buell Motorcycle to be exactly what you need it to be. The newer a Motorcycle is, unfortunately, the more it is restricted due to stringent emission and din control standards manufacturers have to comply with. Engine Tuning is the only solution to override factory limitations. Need better low range hp and fuel efficiency than stock Motorcycle having? Want to improve low range hp and fuel efficiency? Pick one of the magnum motorcycle rev limiters today.

Clearly these people are the 'Slick Willies' of engine tune wizardry or the biggest fraud on the net. WOW! this is GREAT! OH it's just beautiful! Read the glowing reviews for Gods sake it's everything you ever wanted to know or do to your machine in a tiny little less than 300.00 magic box. I don't know what to say other than buyer beware. I can't go first on this one TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE :roll:
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

CaliCal wrote:Anyone installed this performance chip on their PCX? Thoughts?

Snake oil salesmen. Looks to me like the intake temperature sensor resistor mod that has been done on cars. It gives the computer an offset temperature reading.
Resulting in either a leaner or richer fuel mixture.

Gil
ImageImage
CaliCal

Post by CaliCal »

Putting their elaborate sales pitch aside, if you send an offset temperature reading to the computer and that changes the air/fuel mixture to be richer, wont that help with performance?
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Putting their elaborate sales pitch aside, if you send an offset temperature reading to the computer and that changes the air/fuel mixture to be richer, wont that help with performance?
Interesting thought. I had a 150 Stellla 2-Stroke that was setup as new to make emission standards - right on the edge of lean. When I fattened up the main jet, it got noticeable more power while still maintaining a nice plug read. I also had installed a CHT - Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge - and its reading actually showed a slight temp reduction .... until I later on installed a different air filter & exhaust but thats another topic.

Back to the subject - I like fuel economy, but if the PCX is designed right on the edge of lean, and a bit richer would increase the HP with only a slight hit on mileage, I'd want to try it out.
CaliCal

Post by CaliCal »

So I have an update on performance. I went in and got the first 600 mile tune up recommended by honda where they adjust the valves. After this minor adjustment AND the fact that I removed the snorkel from the air filter, I feel a noticeable bump in acceleration. I still feel like its slower than the older PCX but not by much. Removing the snorkel helped free up the air intake and also gave it a deeper sound which helps in traffic and overall feel for the machine.

Anyone else experience something similar?