Aftermarket shocks, which ones meant an improvement?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Aftermarket shocks, which ones meant an improvement?

Post by Smaug »

homie says they didn't make much difference. Another rider (one of the PCX aficionados on YouTube) said they did. Previously, I thought: "How strange that one felt it made a big difference and the other didn't!"

This morning, I went to bikersbits to have a look, and was reminded that there are several different levels of them, ranging from $116 to $853. Quite a wide range, we probably shouldn't give up on them ALL. Also, there are Ohlins, which are The Standard for aftermarket shocks, and which are cheaper than the high-est level Ohlins.

homie, which ones did you try that didn't do much? The $116 ones? If so, I'm thinking maybe what's needed is extra oil capacity, for extra damping. The G-Plus models ($175) look like they have a bigger reservoir than the Euro, for example; about the same size as Ohlins:
One other difference I noticed was that the Ohlins' have straight-wound springs, rather than progressively wound, like YSS. The Ohlins' also have dual preload nuts. One for setting the ride height (for heavier riders) and one as a jamb nut. Very nice. I can't tell how the YSS' are set up, regarding preload. Just set screws to bear against the shock body, or a single preload nut.

I'm thinking about the Ohlins myslelf, but $610 is a lot of money. Might just be better off trading the PCX in toward a Silver Wing. (which can be quite reasonable, used)
-Jeremy
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Re: Aftermarket shocks, which ones meant an improvement?

Post by montliz44 »

Hey Jeremy,

I have the basic YSS shocks on mine. I'm not sure how much of am improvement they make in the ride -- maybe some, maybe not -- but they look great! Big improvement over the stock OEM ones, so that's something, I guess.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I only have the Takegawa adjustable Lowering Shocks, which are probably not as good as, say the YSS ones, but to my wife and I they made a big difference. I have a lot of back trouble, to say the least, and the original shocks didn't seem to absorb much in the way of bumps in the road. We purchased these initially to lower my wife's bike some but the added benefit of a nicer ride was enough for me to order some for my bike. Actually, I originally ordered them for Maddiedog but he was not pleased with them (because they just didn't absorb enough when jumping curbs I guess ... :-) I was about to put in my order when he told me that I could have them if I wanted them. I have been happy with them, so my guess is that any adjustable shocks will help, and the more adjustable the better ...but you pay more for more features, as you know. However, I have seen 2 sets of Ohlins come up for sale on our Sale/Wanted thread, so someone wasn't happy with them. Why not try the YSS-Z shocks, and if you are unhappy with them they are easy to replace?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I wouldn't buy the NCY adjustable again. Maybe my oversized tires contribute to the lack luster of difference between fully hard and fully soft selections on these shocks but it simply makes too little difference for the money.
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (7.29 KiB) Viewed 2106 times
pappasmurf
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by pappasmurf »

I installed the YSS Z series XXL shocks on my PCX. Made a huge difference. No more bottoming out on bumps or potholes. And, they look great.
https://bikerzbits.com/yss-z-series-sho ... 5-150.html
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

YSS z shocks here too, going on 2 years...I can tell a huge difference with railroad tracks and speed bumps, the back end comes down in one controlled motion, it doesn't hop around. A much more secure feeling. Great $150 mod.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

I'm starting to wonder if a big part of the "problem" is simply riders keeping their arms too rigid. It's certainly a known issue when riding performance bikes (twist of the wrist II video devotes an entire segment to it). I notice a significant improvement in terms of road aberrations being transferred to my upper body when I consciously relax my arms when riding.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Mave

That won't prevent your shocks from hitting bottom on speed bumps. It will only affect how your body absorb the impact. And with a pillion on, that wouldnt be so effeCtive.

@topic
I'm still using my stock shocks, being on the light weight side, I only have that problem when I'm riding with a pillion.

Guess the stock shocks are built for asian lightweight riders.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

alx123 wrote: Guess the stock shocks are built for asian lightweight riders.
Well maybe Honda needs to beef up the stock suspension for American riders. What are you saying Mr. Chin?

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

homie wrote:
Well maybe Honda needs to beef up the stock suspension for American riders. What are you saying Mr. Chin?

The PCX was built for Asian market in mind at first, I believe. Stiffer shocks won't be beneficial for lighter guys like me riding without a pillion.

They're just giving us the same suspension, even though Asian and US,EUR riders differs when it comes to average weight.

At least maybe Honda should offer a much stiffer shock for the US and EUR market.

But I believe they expected all of us to upgrade those anyway..
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

pappasmurf wrote:I installed the YSS Z series XXL shocks on my PCX. Made a huge difference. No more bottoming out on bumps or potholes. And, they look great.
What's the difference between the XL and XXL shocks on that page??
I'd like to get a smoother ride, but not sure which ones to get.

Dave
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

alx123 wrote:Mave

That won't prevent your shocks from hitting bottom on speed bumps. It will only affect how your body absorb the impact. And with a pillion on, that wouldnt be so effeCtive.

@topic
I'm still using my stock shocks, being on the light weight side, I only have that problem when I'm riding with a pillion.

This is the bit I'm just not getting; New Zealand roads aren't the greatest - in fact today I'll have done 315km by the time I get home (most of it WOT), and most of my time today has been spent riding on 3 main roads - ALL of which have been absolutely hammered by trucks and a whole lot more traffic since a main arterial road was cut a year or thereabouts ago following a big earthquake. I've had to stop at roadworks about 4 times today as crews are making constant repairs to these roads until the main arterial roads can be opened again. I'm around 120kg at the moment (damn it) - so you'd think if anyone was going to suffer the ill effects of a stock suspension if it wasn't up to standard then it would probably be me - and yet - the number of times it's bottomed out today is ZERO. In fact, the number of times it's bottomed out with only me on the bike in the last 33,000km is also zero. It's just not an issue. I would regularly carry my 17 year old daughter on the back - and she's quite a big girl too - probably around 90kg. With that combination I HAVE bottomed out the suspension, but not very often (we tended to do around 8 to 15km runs and once I learned where the worse bumps were I adapted by riding to compensate as needed).

Honda rate the bike to 180kg of passengers - and my personal experience is the suspension can handle that no problem, but not a lot more.

Not sure exactly what you're meaning by "speed bumps" - if you're meaning the ones deliberately put across the road to control traffic speed then we have those too in places (mostly mall car parks). In most cases bike riders can just ride around the ends of them over here (if you're precise with your steering). If I do have to take one completely then it's simply a case of slowing down as required.

So what am I missing here?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Mav, i was only replying to your statement that it's maybe coz of people riding with their arms too rigid..my initial thought is that it wont affect any of the rear suspensions..will just affect the way how your body will absorb the impact..and mostly from the front suspension and not the rear..imo

i dont have that bottoming out problem when riding alone too..being at 70kgs.

with pillion of 55kgs (total 125kgs) wife, i sometimes bottom the rear on humps (or bumps)...just sometimes

so you're not missing anything here..
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:
alx123 wrote:Mave

@topic

This is the bit I'm just not getting; New Zealand roads aren't the greatest - in fact today I'll have done 315km by the time I get home (most of it WOT), and most of my time today has been spent riding on 3 main roads - ALL of which have been absolutely hammered by trucks and a whole lot more traffic since a main arterial road was cut a year or thereabouts ago following a big earthquake. I've had to stop at roadworks about 4 times today as crews are making constant repairs to these roads until the main arterial roads can be opened again. I'm around 120kg at the moment (damn it) - so you'd think if anyone was going to suffer the ill effects of a stock suspension if it wasn't up to standard then it would probably be me - and yet - the number of times it's bottomed out today is ZERO. In fact, the number of times it's bottomed out with only me on the bike in the last 33,000km is also zero. It's just not an issue. I would regularly carry my 17 year old daughter on the back - and she's quite a big girl too - probably around 90kg. With that combination I HAVE bottomed out the suspension, but not very often (we tended to do around 8 to 15km runs and once I learned where the worse bumps were I adapted by riding to compensate as needed).

Honda rate the bike to 180kg of passengers - and my personal experience is the suspension can handle that no problem, but not a lot more.

Not sure exactly what you're meaning by "speed bumps" - if you're meaning the ones deliberately put across the road to control traffic speed then we have those too in places (mostly mall car parks). In most cases bike riders can just ride around the ends of them over here (if you're precise with your steering). If I do have to take one completely then it's simply a case of slowing down as required.

So what am I missing here?
Have to agree with this. I'm 95kg soaking wet and I've never suffered the shocks bottoming out. Even on shitty North Yorkshire rural roads.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

alx123 wrote:Mav, i was only replying to your statement that it's maybe coz of people riding with their arms too rigid..my initial thought is that it wont affect any of the rear suspensions..will just affect the way how your body will absorb the impact..and mostly from the front suspension and not the rear..imo

with pillion of 55kgs (total 125kgs) wife, i sometimes bottom the rear on humps (or bumps)...just sometimes

Cool - thanks.

Rigid arms still does have an effect on the rear suspension though - it's sets up a coupling; With rigid arms, the front coming up sets up a rotation that pushes the rider back and down and a few milliseconds later the swung weight is on it's way up to meet it - so it has the effect of destabilising both suspension in addition to causing discomfort. If you're not yet a believer, try it in a loaded turn - try to relax your arms mid-turn and you'll be able to instantly feel the suspension coping better.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

alx123, how much do you weigh? I'm probably one of the lighter American riders here, at 175 lbs. If you have a typical Asian build, you're probably around 150 lbs., not a huge difference.

I've had a couple times hitting bad frost heaves in the road, where the rear end of the bike actually got airborne. When I see them coming, I stand up on the floorboard so I don't take the hit to my back.

This is going to be a winter project. I may go all-in and get Ohlins, but will at least get the YSS with extra reservoirs.
Last edited by Smaug on Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeremy
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

you you wrote:...I'm 95kg soaking wet and I've never suffered the shocks bottoming out. Even on shitty North Yorkshire rural roads.
You have a different standard for 'shitty roads' I think, if you weigh 209 lbs. and never had the rear shocks bottom out.
-Jeremy
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:
alx123 wrote:Mav, i was only replying to your statement that it's maybe coz of people riding with their arms too rigid..my initial thought is that it wont affect any of the rear suspensions..will just affect the way how your body will absorb the impact..and mostly from the front suspension and not the rear..imo

Cool - thanks.

Rigid arms still does have an effect on the rear suspension though - it's sets up a coupling; With rigid arms, the front coming up sets up a rotation that pushes the rider back and down and a few milliseconds later the swung weight is on it's way up to meet it - so it has the effect of destabilising both suspension in addition to causing discomfort. If you're not yet a believer, try it in a loaded turn - try to relax your arms mid-turn and you'll be able to instantly feel the suspension coping better.

After Keith Code Bob the oil guy must surely follow...
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I think the cheapest solution is to just lose weight. Save money on food. Eat organic plant based food. Hydrate often. ;)
pappasmurf
Color: Steel Grey

Post by pappasmurf »

dgnyberg wrote:
pappasmurf wrote:I installed the YSS Z series XXL shocks on my PCX. Made a huge difference. No more bottoming out on bumps or potholes. And, they look great.
What's the difference between the XL and XXL shocks on that page??
I'd like to get a smoother ride, but not sure which ones to get.

Dave
The XXL shocks are for fat asses like me, 200 pounds +/-
XL are for lighter riders.
Actual size is the same.