Honda heated grips

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Honda heated grips

Post by outlander »

I found a set of Honda heated grips for sale in Japan.

Does anyone have these and know if there is a dedicated socket to plug them in?

This is the part number.
08T50-EWA-001J
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Honda heated grips

Post by outlander »

Translated from webbike jp.
Honda's own right and left set semi-circumferential type grip heater adopting alloy stainless steel (SUS) for heating element. ◇ We designed the battery voltage monitoring system with a gentle design that took maximum consideration on power consumption, and protected your car by automatically stopping power supply to the "grip heater" when the voltage drops I will. ■ Development Concept Honda's "Grip Heater" is developing as much as possible "close" to the grip used in Honda's motorcycle as a priority. At the time of developing Honda's motorcycle, the importance of grips that handle accelerator operation, clutch and brake operation, etc. is high, and various studies such as material and thickness are under consideration. Removing the grip of high importance and attaching "grip heater" as optional goods also leads to the risk of anxiety to get comfortable for the user. Therefore, Honda R & D Laboratory Co., Ltd. Two wheeled R & At the D Center, we are dedicating the material to have the same characteristics as the rubber material used by the Honda motorcycle, and we strive to realize the equivalent condition as much as possible in thickness. Developing original supplies of Honda Co., Ltd. Honda R & D Center's thinking of the ultimate "grip heater" is that it is a grip that you do not know that you are wearing it in the state attached to Honda's motorcycle is. Honda's genuine "grip heater" is a two wheeled R & It is a product developed jointly with Mitsubishi Cable Industry Co., Ltd., which is strong in research and development of Koito Manufacturing Co., Ltd. and electrical system and wiring system in the automotive industry, which are strong in electrical system such as D center and head light. "Grip heater" developed at present Honda, as a Honda genuine article, repeatedly carried out the mounting test on the Honda motorcycle, focused on giving maximum attention to the rider's usability, while not affecting the steering stability It developed to. Also, Honda's "Grip Heater" has been designed gently with maximum consideration for power consumption. Maximum electricity consumption is 18 W (28 W for the all-round type), which can generate heat at almost the same level of power consumption as the blinker of the motorcycle. This realizes a comfortable motorcycle life that is less likely to affect the motorcycle body. The "grip heater" sold at Honda has "half circumference type" attached to the half circumference of the inner piece of the heating element and "circumference type" wrapped around the whole circumference. Each is set as a genuine article according to the purpose and use of the motorcycle. "Half circumferential type" is mainly a scooter and a business model, which is difficult to assume for a long time, and the "all circumference type" is a medium / large sports model that uses a motorcycle for long distance traveling such as touring We have set it up. Honda's "Grip heater" comes with a "controller" that controls temperature for all models. This "controller" is small in size, excellent in water resistance and operability, and as a motorcycle manufacturer, it is designed to meet the feelings of riders manipulating motorcycles. With regard to the temperature setting in particular, various test riders have decided the optimum temperature that can be thought out by superimposing tests in the temperature which the rider in running feels. Features are as follows. 1. The PUSH type switch is adopted so as to be able to operate surely with the left hand fitted with the glove. 2. The switch system adopts the rotary type, and it can set to the temperature of 5 stages OFF by the PUSH operation. 3. By adopting the digital control system, it is possible to adjust the temperature in 5 stages by lowering the temperature at the interval of 20% from the maximum temperature (at the right 80 degrees and above: when using 12 V) according to the rider's bodily sensation. 4. By adopting three LED indicators, you can easily and reliably check the temperature level day and night. Five. Built-in battery voltage monitoring system automatically stops power supply to "grip heater" when the battery voltage drops. The LED indicator blinks to indicate the automatic hibernation state, and when the system is operated again, the LED indicator lights up to let you know the restart. This system reduces the influence on the motorcycle body where the voltage has decreased. ■ Heating element The basic configuration of the "grip heater" is to make the heating element built in the handle grip and cause it to generate heat by energizing (passing electricity). As a basic structure, a heating element is installed on the outer periphery of the inner piece (inner pipe), and it is covered with rubber material. And in "grip heater", the three elements of "sufficient temperature" "temperature rise in a short time" and "appropriate heat point" are important points. To realize these points, the material of the heating element is an important factor. In "Grip heater" which had been on sale since the 1970s, we adopted "nickel chrome wire = Ni - Cr" and "flexible printed wiring = FPC (Flexible Print Circuit)" as this heating element. However, in the case of the Ni - Cr wire, it had the drawback of "it requires a rise time from the start of operation to the set temperature" and "it is difficult to set heat spot (heat generation at the designated part)". This can be said to riding with stress while wearing comfortable goods for those who control the motorcycle. Although there is no problem with rise time and heat spot setting up to the set temperature in FPC, there was a drawback of "weak against pressure". This is a big problem for circular molded objects called "grip heater", which is a major factor of the cause of failure of "grip heater". <A I = 61> I got there, "Alloy stainless steel = SUS (Stainless Used Steel)" containing chromium to improve corrosion resistance. By setting the SUS used in Honda's "grip heater" to be extremely thin with a thickness of 0.1 mm and by doubling the band width, worry of disconnection can be extremely reduced even if it is bent according to the shape of the grip It is. In addition, the thickness of the grip also became thin from the improvement of formability, and it got closer to the grip (with non-heater installed) standard equipped in Honda's motorcycle. Comparing the "temperature rise time" of "grip heater" using SUS and "FG type" "grip heater", the SUS type reaches the maximum temperature (saturation temperature) in half the time compared with the FPC type I was able to get it. In other words, Honda's "grip heater" which adopts SUS, as a genuine article of the motorcycle, thinks firstly of the rider's feelings, and after starting the engine (switching on the grip heater) in the cold, it is very short With time, I was able to experience the warmth, so I was able to realize comfortable riding right after the start of driving. ■ All-round type Grip heaters can be installed Model Alloy stainless steel
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I believe some of our members in Europe and the UK have them ...... anyone?
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

kramnala58 wrote:I believe some of our members in Europe and the UK have them ...... anyone?

No I went with Oxford. Cheaper and better.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Which Oxford did you use?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

outlander wrote:Which Oxford did you use?

Just the standard motorbike ones. Painted the mounting bracket black but other than that I just fitted them. I like the four heat options.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

I use the Oxford scooter ones, wrong choice, low is hardly noticeable. Only 2 settings low and high, the switch has to be set in the bodywork.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
d.a.rous
Year: 2014 JF57(125)
Color: Carbonium Grey

Post by d.a.rous »

I've built up Oxford Touring, are very good.
http://motociclo.com.au/sites/default/f ... 91-3_0.jpg
http://pedromachadott.pt/punhos-aquecid ... ring/3320/
In the city at + 5 degrees with winter gloves, the heating strength of 40% is sufficient. The switch was installed on the lid of glovebox, so that no one sees and comes on stupid thoughts.
Attachments
080320171194r.jpg
080320171194r.jpg (77.77 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
080320171190r.jpg
080320171190r.jpg (117.86 KiB) Viewed 1781 times
YSS G-Euro XL Red shock
Dr Pulley SR2015 13g sliders
Dr.Pulley SP2015-AK sliding pieces
SH Clutch (Facilitated)
Malossi Clutch Spring (Red)

High beam Passing (Flash)
Low beam switch (on/off)
Oxford HG "Touring"

Drive Belt Cover + Swingarm (Matt Black)
Michelin City Grip
Clivebroad
Year: 2011

Post by Clivebroad »

DAB wrote:I use the Oxford scooter ones, wrong choice, low is hardly noticeable. Only 2 settings low and high, the switch has to be set in the bodywork.
I too fitted the Scooter heated grips, mine also only have the two settings I only use high, however the controller fits to the bars , I must say I am quite happy with them.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

If you are cheap then some ebay.com heated grips elements from china can also do the job.

I bought something like these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOT-Universal-G ... Bh&vxp=mtr

They have been on my scoot for 5k miles already, and they still work. I'm using them with a voltage modulator to regulate how hot they get though. On/Off can still work for cold days though.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

I bought a set from a Honda dealer, but they weren't Honda brand. Mine have 2 heat settings ... "too hot" and "not hot enough". Literally. I get by with them pretty well, but given the choice again, I'd go for something with at least 3 heat settings and preferably more. Another dealer here mentioned a brand with 7 settings that they sell for NZD $90.

Would be great if someone would come out with ones that have a thermostat or pulse-width modulation so we can set/maintain our own comfort levels.