When and what should be my FIRST maintenance of my scooter?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: When and what should be my FIRST maintenance of my scoot

Post by TheMaverick »

springer1 wrote:
I recommend fitting a FOBO tyre monitor system so it sends alerts to your phone ANY time the pressure drops below prescribed limits (I've had 4 flats in 2 years and that would have helps on more than 1 occasion). I've got one and I wouldn't be without it now. Few things have impressed me as much as that product and the support surrounding it.
Did you rebalance your tires to compensate for these or is their weight not consequential ?
No. I wondered if it would be necessary, but at the end of the day, the units are light, the wheels aren't turning particularly fast, and they're not that far away from the centre of rotation - so it turned out to be a complete non-issue.
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: white

Post by pattomike »

Holy crap I feel crushed. I better get going on maintenance. Now I have a sick feeling because I didn't do an oil change at 600 miles and the requirement to do so because of the new engine and metal fragments.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

pattomike wrote:Holy crap I feel crushed. I better get going on maintenance. Now I have a sick feeling because I didn't do an oil change at 600 miles and the requirement to do so because of the new engine and metal fragments.
Mike don't get excited! Just do your 800 ml oil change (less than a quart) forget about the screen strainer for now and please take it easy on the drain plug when you put it back. Finger tight, ever so slight pull on the wrench. No stripping the threads, no need for a torque spec, just plug the hole and check it later for seeping.
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

homie wrote:
pattomike wrote:Holy crap I feel crushed. I better get going on maintenance. Now I have a sick feeling because I didn't do an oil change at 600 miles and the requirement to do so because of the new engine and metal fragments.
Mike don't get excited! Just do your 800 ml oil change (less than a quart) forget about the screen strainer for now and please take it easy on the drain plug when you put it back. Finger tight, ever so slight pull on the wrench. No stripping the threads, no need for a torque spec, just plug the hole and check it later for seeping.
Thanks, I have a horrible time keeping up on things. I lose my keys, wallet, and sunglasses every other day. It's because the only thing I concern myself with is learning out to be a day-trader, everything else such as my employer calling me to do a load is a distraction from my central purpose. I couldn't tell you where my owner's manual is. My tools are all mixed up, metric, standard, all mixed together. One day when I am able to day trade for a living, I will be able to relax, take a deep breath, and get caught-up and organized. I try so hard to learn day trading because 3 1/2 years ago I jumped in trying to trade the S&P Futures Index even though I was warned it was nothing like day trading stocks. You have to learn the instrument, they warned. Well like so many others I didn't listen. I was desperate to get out of truck driving which I hated, and still hate with a passion, and was pretty good at day trading stocks Ended up losing everything I had in under an hour. I did what all inexperienced traders do, I revenge traded, and tried to catch a falling knife. Revenge trade is when you lose on your trade, and then get made and then just start taking trades left and right hoping for lucky bounce in your favor trying to get back to break-even, and instead you end up trying to catch a falling knife and before you know it, you're broker shuts you down because you have blown your account. So I am have been working day and night on learning this trading instrument. That's why I don't know where my owner's manual is, it's why my oil is overdue, and so on. Luckily, I am almost there. I have will soon be one of those rare individuals who can be a successful day trader. So I just got back from outside where in a rush of forced determination I changed my oil. I ended up stripping the oil filter nut because I couldn't find a metric wrench, and tried using a crescent wrench on it instead. There is a cable right smack dab in the middle of where the nut is so getting a socket in there seemed out of the question. Well after the nut began to strip, I said hell with it and just pushed a metric socket up under the cable and put it over the nut and was able to break it loose. Everything else went pretty easy. Now I need to go to Walmart and find some engine oil. I am confused about what MB is, but I will just look for 10-30w 4 stroke motor oil. The motorcycle shops are closed today for the holiday. I am also not sure how I am supposed to measure 900 ML of oil. I will probably just eye it up on the dip stick being certain not to screw the dip stick in when I take the measurement. Off to Walmart now.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Put in 22 oz, then an ounce at a time, until it's mid stick. Never mind the capacity.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

I think I might have too much oil in my crankcase. I changed the oil, cleaned the filter. The manual says to put in 900 ML. The bottle is 946L. So I added oil from the bottle til there was about 100.5ML left in the bottle. By my math, I put 800ML in. But when I checked the dipstick, the oil is about half way up the dick stick. The full level according to the manual is at the top of the the squiggly portion (or "plaid" portion as somebody else called it) of the dip stick. Mine reading exceeds the squiggley line section and goes half up up the dip stick. So why the heck is my oil reading so high if I only put in 800ML?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

And that's why I wrote what I did, YOU NEVER CAN USE THE CAPACITY because you don't know how much is left in the engine. So therefore put in 22 and then an ounce after that until you are half way up the hashes.
Glen
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

Jge64 wrote:And that's why I wrote what I did, YOU NEVER CAN USE THE CAPACITY because you don't know how much is left in the engine. So therefore put in 22 and then an ounce after that until you are half way up the hashes.
wouldn't the instructions take into account this factor? I drained the plug and let it drain for almost an hour, and also removed the filter and cleaned it, and per the instructions I should then add 900 ML. I am not sure why that number 900 ML is in my head, perhaps I got it from another thread... but the manual says "0.9 (1.0 US qt , 0.8 Imp qt)". Maybe after I start the engine and let it run for a few minutes I will get a more accurate reading. Or I could just drain some out before I start the engine. I need to do some more research. I just went back and looked at previous responses to my original question, and others also say 800ML over-filled the oil on their PCXs. I will just drain some, and then run the engine, check it, drain it, til I get it to the top of the squiqqly line.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

pattomike wrote:
Jge64 wrote:And that's why I wrote what I did, YOU NEVER CAN USE THE CAPACITY because you don't know how much is left in the engine. So therefore put in 22 and then an ounce after that until you are half way up the hashes.
wouldn't the instructions take into account this factor? I drained the plug and let it drain for almost an hour, and also removed the filter and cleaned it, and per the instructions I should then add 900 ML. I am not sure why that number 900 ML is in my head, perhaps I got it from another thread... but the manual says "0.9 (1.0 US qt , 0.8 Imp qt)". Maybe after I start the engine and let it run for a few minutes I will get a more accurate reading. Or I could just drain some out before I start the engine. I need to do some more research. I just went back and looked at previous responses to my original question, and others also say 800ML over-filled the oil on their PCXs. I will just drain some, and then run the engine, check it, drain it, til I get it to the top of the squiqqly line.
Take a look on ebay at GY6 oil strainer kits.
If that is the nut you stripped you can buy a new one for a couple of bucks.
DON'T overtighten it.
When changing the oil - add 1/2 then start checking the dipstick. Sneak up on it!
Changing your oil will save your new engine - ignore it and it will cost you $$ down the road.

Good luck, Fish
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

sneak up on it, indeed. I'll get that little bastard.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Get a $8 oil syringe off Amazon- invaluable for adding the extra ounces, and the rear wheel oil.
Glen
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Jge64 wrote:Get a $8 oil syringe off Amazon- invaluable for adding the extra ounces, and the rear wheel oil.
Or ask for some disposed large capacity syringes at yer local vets..
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:
Jge64 wrote:Get a $8 oil syringe off Amazon- invaluable for adding the extra ounces, and the rear wheel oil.
Or ask for some disposed large capacity syringes at yer local vet.
Please don't do that, you might as well go into a police station and ask for a gun.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
you you wrote:
Please don't do that, you might as well go into a police station and ask for a gun.
??
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:
homie wrote:
you you wrote:
??
Might not want to be suspected of anything that raises eyebrows asking for medical supplies at the vet. Drug addicts probably used that reason. http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/where ... 203767391/
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

Go to the pharmacy and get a syringe that they give away for giving children liquid oral medicine, they also sell them.
They should work fine.
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Jesus guys, i'm not gonna troll my neighborhood for syringes from handoffs… LOL

The Amazon syringe is an extra long snout to get into crankcases as such, and it's graduated in ounces and ccs....at eight bucks and prime, I'm buying the right tool.
Glen
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Jge64 wrote:Jesus guys, i'm not gonna troll my neighborhood for syringes from handoffs… LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol: I didn't think you would. I bought a really good one cheap at Harbor Freight if you have a that franchise.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
you you wrote:
homie wrote:
??
Might not want to be suspected of anything that raises eyebrows asking for medical supplies at the vet. Drug addicts probably used that reason. http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/where ... 203767391/

A syringe is fairly useless to a drug addict :lol: :lol:

If they were doing IV they'd need a needle too.

Otherwise it's pointless :roll:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dgnyberg wrote:Go to the pharmacy and get a syringe that they give away for giving children liquid oral medicine, they also sell them.
They should work fine.

Yes, just pop some thin tubing over the end.

Unless asking for tubing is like asking a swat team to shoot you dead. :lol: :lol:

I'm bricking myself over buying spoons and matches now. That'd be like asking the Navy for one of their aircraft carriers

Or something, some other bollox :roll: