New rider here, some basic questions about the 2017 PCX150

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: New rider here, some basic questions about the 2017 PCX1

Post by GeorgeSK »

106 F? Please post your location!

62-65 mph is pretty much ball to the wall. I'll go an exit or two (three, maybe five miles) on a posted 55 mph road (where folks are going 60-65) but no way will I go on an interstate. 50 mph is fine for as far as you want to go, but the PCX just LOVES going 40-45 on a twisty secondary road, especially if there is no one in front of you.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

GeorgeSK wrote:106 F? Please post your location!

62-65 mph is pretty much ball to the wall. I'll go an exit or two (three, maybe five miles) on a posted 55 mph road (where folks are going 60-65) but no way will I go on an interstate. 50 mph is fine for as far as you want to go, but the PCX just LOVES going 40-45 on a twisty secondary road, especially if there is no one in front of you.
Phoenix Arizona my friend! Lol, you get used to the heat honestly. I often go into the desert area on Tonopah Salome highway to practice my shooting, and it's 115+ out there.

You made a great point about the 40-45mph speed, today when I was riding it, it just felt so nimble and fun at 30-40mph. Turning was easy to manage, brakes worked fine also to stop me even though I'm really heavy. This morning I was google mapping my entire area, looking for streets, and basically NO highway travel. One great thing about Arizona is that there are LOOOOONG stretches of nice roads doing only 40mph, so basically you can travel from huge distances without touching the highway. Granted it will be a longer commute time.

BTW if you ever visit, the best thing to do is wear a long sleeve white shirt that's very thin/light. Shorts/sneakers also. When I first moved out here, I would always wear jeans and a black tshirt, NO MORE lol. The long sleeve white shirts keep you surprisingly cool.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Trevor wrote:I have to seriously thank all of you for the incredible advice and wealth of knowledge. I just came from the same dealer, asked them if I could drive it around a bit. I was surprised they even let me because I don't have a motorcycle license. He came out with me on a ATV lol it was funny. It was really easy to drive, it felt just like the scooter I drove way back in Bermuda. We turned off at the first block because there was a 1/4 mile straightaway and few people around. He said they do this often with inexperienced riders, and he always goes with them just in case they need assistance.

The acceleration from a stop was surprisingly good, it definitely got my fat ass off the line lol. It was only a 40mph street so we didn't go much past that I think we hit 45mph roughly. At 40mph, when I twisted the throttle all the way it did feel eager to accelerate, but definitely not good for passing cars on the highway. This type of scooter I would put my blinker on and let the car pass instead of me over taking them.

Jeez that helmet, OMG! My face was soaking wet, it's around 106 degrees today. A small inconvenience for safety though.
Great stuff :)

Bikes are like computers - and watches - and fridges - and many other things in that "for a little more money" you can get "something a little big bigger / better / faster / stronger". And that never stops. Only you can decide where to draw that line. For me, the PCX has proven to be the perfect workhorse - need to take my daughter into town via 50km/hr zones - no problem (and probably carrying around 475 pounds all up) (although suspension will bottom out on larger bumps). Need to deliver a lazer printer or computer to a client - no problem - just strap it in the pillion position (complete with shipping box). Need some 1.07m cavity batten timber for making canvas print frames - no problem - just strap it on. Need to make a photographic road trip (500km in a day) no worries - tripod goes under the seat with a few lenses in soft pouches, camera bag goes in the Givi box on the back. Need a bike for cruising the interstate all day every day - BIG problem - it's just not the right tool for that job. Need to do that occasionally then it'll get you there just fine though.

All in all it's an incredibly versatile bike whilst remaining economical - never the best at any particular task, but not far away ... and damn hard to beat for a wide variety of general tasks overall. As you've now found out - even with bigger fellas like us it still has enough grunt to get on with the job and to not just "sit and sulk".

I know what you mean with the helmet - I usually just open mine slightly to let breeze do it's thing in summer. I see a lot of riders riding with the visor right up ... but I've also seen photos of what eyes look like when a bee gets trapped in there, and it ain't pretty, so not for me!
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Trevor wrote:At 40mph, when I twisted the throttle all the way it did feel eager to accelerate, but definitely not good for passing cars on the highway. This type of scooter I would put my blinker on and let the car pass instead of me over taking them.
Just a quick "follow-up thought" on that - because the PCX doesn't have an abundance of power like my imaginary Fireblade dream bike, you will come across situations were you're a little bit faster than someone in front and they in-turn are a little bit faster than a car in front of them that's a little further down the road. It turns into a MAJOR risk factor if you try and pass first because you're "balls to the wall" throttle-wise, but only have a small speed differential - and you end up being in their blind spot forever and often with nowhere to get out of the way). Car in front decides to pass the car in front of it - pulls out at random without checking properly - and it's all over rover for the motorcyclist.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Get a bigger bike...you will be much better off.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Trevor wrote:How many miles can you get out of these things, like do they often break down after 40-50,000 miles? Can it last years? I know maintenance is paramount here, so it will be brought in for service regularly.
That was a question on my mind when I bought too.

I'm at 32,000km now and it's still going as good as they day I bought it. I track oil burn (to give me an idea as to predicted engine life) and it currently burns around 60 - 70ml per 4,000km.

Like any vehicle, it's a mechanical beast and things do wear out eventually - and the PCX is no exception. There's a pretty good information base here, and from what I've observed, the kinds of things that pop up seem to do so at pretty much the same intervals.

I'll quickly outline some of the things (don't worry, nothing bad as such).

- Tyres. Expect to get about 15,000km out of a front one and 10,000 out of a rear one. The tyres are round on both the inside and outside when new - but get flatter on the outside with normal riding - but remain curved on the inside - and so the material between the centre of the tyre on the outside and the centre of the tyre in the inside are getting closer and closer - but that's not always particularly obvious from the outside. I've run two tyres to over 14,000km on the rear and ended up with rapid punctures that would have been "interesting" if I'd been going faster or was loaded up in a turn. I pushed them too far and so for me, I've set a limit of 10,000km for a tyre (changing it then costs less than having the bike hauled back to the dealer on the back of a truck - don't ask me how I know this ...). Costs less than an ambulance ride too.

- The bike has a common GY6 clutch which often develops a characteristic of making the bike shudder a bit on take-off until it fully engages a short time later (then no shuddering). Starts off when bike is cold, but progresses to when bike it warm too. Gets to a certain point but doesn't get any worse for a long time and then (in my case anyway) has actually started to get better. I was concerned about it until I understood what it was all about - now it doesn't bother me in the slightest (it's actually a nice reminder of the power in a way). Can be fixed easily enough at anytime also.

- Some bikes had a common fault with a noisy clutch bearing, but I think that's sorted on later models anyway, so I won't bore you with it. Mine is an affected model and it's still no biggie.

- The bike has a V-Belt transmission and Honda recommend the belt be replaced every 24,000km (mine is at 32,000 but will be replaced shortly). Dealer will be happy to do things like that for you, but at a cost. Many of us here enjoy doing a lot of our own maintenance; it's a little daunting at first, but it's not anywhere nearly as bad as people expect it to be - and there's a wealth of knowledge to answer ANY question you could possibly need to know in that regard. I'm in New Zealand and parts cost a LOT of money through official channels (I was quoted $160 NZD for a new belt that I got from overseas for about $50 in the end - inc freight) - should be much cheaper at your end, but you still need to decide how nice you want to be to your dealer.

- With regards to maintenance in general I think the most important thing is regular oil replacement. Book for mine says every 8000km, but I do it myself every 4,000km. Changing it can be messy or it can be a piece of cake - all depends on preparation, a few things, and technique. Piece of cake when you get the hang of it. A lot of book items are just "check this, check that" - in most cases they're absolutely fine because that's what you'd expect on a new bike.

- One of the things Honda does recommend is checking the valve clearances every service - bless them - because a LOT of things have to be taken off the bike to do that, which adds up to a bigger bill due to the time. I asked a non-affiliated dealer if that was really necessary and the answer that came back was along the lines of "it's not a particularly high-revving engine - and it's unlikely to change much - so just don't worry about it unless something suggests it needs it (like getting hard to start). So it was done once at 1000km and hasn't been touched since - and bike is still running as good as ever at 32,000km - and I'm expecting a lot more too. So I've saved about $600 from that decision so far.

- My personal opinion is that things like air filters, brake, and cooling fluids can be stretched further than Honda recommend, but since you're in the USA they're probably cheap enough to change on schedule for you anyway - so why not.

- Things like Brake pads will eventually need replacing - but not often (I'm still on my original ones) (although fronts are getting low now)

So in summary - yes, bike will need maintenance like any other bike. No known particularly nasty traits (pretty much the opposite in-fact). You can save money by doing a lot yourself if you want - or pay money to a dealer to do it for you if you want - no biggie either way so long as it gets done. By doing more stuff yourself though, you do get to know the bike a lot better which I've found to be a good thing.

I can't speak for others, but for me, a Givi box on the back has been invaluable - perfect place to store a first aid kit, wet weather gear, lunch, and a few other bits and pieces. Wouldn't want to be without it and it was pathetically cheap to buy and fit.

Hope this helps!
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

TheMaverick wrote:
Trevor wrote:How many miles can you get out of these things, like do they often break down after 40-50,000 miles? Can it last years? I know maintenance is paramount here, so it will be brought in for service regularly.
That was a question on my mind when I bought too.

I'm at 32,000km now and it's still going as good as they day I bought it. I track oil burn (to give me an idea as to predicted engine life) and it currently burns around 60 - 70ml per 4,000km.

Like any vehicle, it's a mechanical beast and things do wear out eventually - and the PCX is no exception. There's a pretty good information base here, and from what I've observed, the kinds of things that pop up seem to do so at pretty much the same intervals.

I'll quickly outline some of the things (don't worry, nothing bad as such).

- Tyres. Expect to get about 15,000km out of a front one and 10,000 out of a rear one. The tyres are round on both the inside and outside when new - but get flatter on the outside with normal riding - but remain curved on the inside - and so the material between the centre of the tyre on the outside and the centre of the tyre in the inside are getting closer and closer - but that's not always particularly obvious from the outside. I've run two tyres to over 14,000km on the rear and ended up with rapid punctures that would have been "interesting" if I'd been going faster or was loaded up in a turn. I pushed them too far and so for me, I've set a limit of 10,000km for a tyre (changing it then costs less than having the bike hauled back to the dealer on the back of a truck - don't ask me how I know this ...). Costs less than an ambulance ride too.

- The bike has a common GY6 clutch which often develops a characteristic of making the bike shudder a bit on take-off until it fully engages a short time later (then no shuddering). Starts off when bike is cold, but progresses to when bike it warm too. Gets to a certain point but doesn't get any worse for a long time and then (in my case anyway) has actually started to get better. I was concerned about it until I understood what it was all about - now it doesn't bother me in the slightest (it's actually a nice reminder of the power in a way). Can be fixed easily enough at anytime also.

- Some bikes had a common fault with a noisy clutch bearing, but I think that's sorted on later models anyway, so I won't bore you with it. Mine is an affected model and it's still no biggie.

- The bike has a V-Belt transmission and Honda recommend the belt be replaced every 24,000km (mine is at 32,000 but will be replaced shortly). Dealer will be happy to do things like that for you, but at a cost. Many of us here enjoy doing a lot of our own maintenance; it's a little daunting at first, but it's not anywhere nearly as bad as people expect it to be - and there's a wealth of knowledge to answer ANY question you could possibly need to know in that regard. I'm in New Zealand and parts cost a LOT of money through official channels (I was quoted $160 NZD for a new belt that I got from overseas for about $50 in the end - inc freight) - should be much cheaper at your end, but you still need to decide how nice you want to be to your dealer.

- With regards to maintenance in general I think the most important thing is regular oil replacement. Book for mine says every 8000km, but I do it myself every 4,000km. Changing it can be messy or it can be a piece of cake - all depends on preparation, a few things, and technique. Piece of cake when you get the hang of it. A lot of book items are just "check this, check that" - in most cases they're absolutely fine because that's what you'd expect on a new bike.

- One of the things Honda does recommend is checking the valve clearances every service - bless them - because a LOT of things have to be taken off the bike to do that, which adds up to a bigger bill due to the time. I asked a non-affiliated dealer if that was really necessary and the answer that came back was along the lines of "it's not a particularly high-revving engine - and it's unlikely to change much - so just don't worry about it unless something suggests it needs it (like getting hard to start). So it was done once at 1000km and hasn't been touched since - and bike is still running as good as ever at 32,000km - and I'm expecting a lot more too. So I've saved about $600 from that decision so far.

- My personal opinion is that things like air filters, brake, and cooling fluids can be stretched further than Honda recommend, but since you're in the USA they're probably cheap enough to change on schedule for you anyway - so why not.

- Things like Brake pads will eventually need replacing - but not often (I'm still on my original ones) (although fronts are getting low now)

So in summary - yes, bike will need maintenance like any other bike. No known particularly nasty traits (pretty much the opposite in-fact). You can save money by doing a lot yourself if you want - or pay money to a dealer to do it for you if you want - no biggie either way so long as it gets done. By doing more stuff yourself though, you do get to know the bike a lot better which I've found to be a good thing.

I can't speak for others, but for me, a Givi box on the back has been invaluable - perfect place to store a first aid kit, wet weather gear, lunch, and a few other bits and pieces. Wouldn't want to be without it and it was pathetically cheap to buy and fit.

Hope this helps!
You should work for Honda selling these things lol! Thanks for that info my friend, I can't wait to get mine. It was really fun, and to be honest I wouldn't trust myself on anything faster, I'd probably kill myself taking a turn too fast. I'm gonna get the PCX and just stick to the areas that I currently drive 95% (non highway). It's super easy to get a license out here in Arizona, with basic training etc. But I'll take additional training before I actually buy the scooter, even though it's pretty easy to drive. I'm hoping there will be good deals this month or next. One dealer had a white 2017 for $3499 the other dealer had the same model/year for $3199 both brand new.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Trevor wrote: You should work for Honda selling these things lol! Thanks for that info my friend, I can't wait to get mine. It was really fun, and to be honest I wouldn't trust myself on anything faster, I'd probably kill myself taking a turn too fast. I'm gonna get the PCX and just stick to the areas that I currently drive 95% (non highway). It's super easy to get a license out here in Arizona, with basic training etc. But I'll take additional training before I actually buy the scooter, even though it's pretty easy to drive. I'm hoping there will be good deals this month or next. One dealer had a white 2017 for $3499 the other dealer had the same model/year for $3199 both brand new.
Ha - nah - I just like to pass on what I know, and think outside the box on occasions a bit too (which generally rubs a few up the wrong way, unfortunately!).

From what you said, I think it'll go well for you. Mine took about 1 day before I felt like I wasn't 10 seconds behind the bike - by day 2 I felt like I was "up to speed with it" - and by the end of about day 3 I felt like I had it under control enough to get among city traffic and not feel out of place. Suspect you too will quickly get used to it.

The thought of bigger / better / stronger / faster bikes is always cool - but there's always the flip side of higher purchase cost - higher maintenance costs - higher fuel costs etc. To put it in perspective, I drove to the dealer to pick mine up - but was left with the problem of "what to do with the car if I rode the bike away" (I was by myself) - so we formed a "plan of attack" ... salesman would ride the bike back to my house and I'd give him a ride back. Being a male, with testosterone levels to match, I was determined to get there first - after all, I know the route there better than he does, and my 2.4l Honda Accord should be more than a match for a 150cc PCX right? But there he was waiting for me when I pulled in the drive. Damn it! You won't be first on every occasion, but you won't be far behind - and you'll do it a LOT cheaper.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

no highway driving,pcx is perfect.

But if you plan to go in some 65mph highways more often than sometimes, get the 300.

Pcx can do 65mph no problem, but you'll probably reaching your rev limit with no room to push at 65..
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:Get a bigger bike...you will be much better off.

X2

Or is it 5 now...?
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

TheMaverick wrote:
Trevor wrote: You should work for Honda selling these things lol! Thanks for that info my friend, I can't wait to get mine. It was really fun, and to be honest I wouldn't trust myself on anything faster, I'd probably kill myself taking a turn too fast. I'm gonna get the PCX and just stick to the areas that I currently drive 95% (non highway). It's super easy to get a license out here in Arizona, with basic training etc. But I'll take additional training before I actually buy the scooter, even though it's pretty easy to drive. I'm hoping there will be good deals this month or next. One dealer had a white 2017 for $3499 the other dealer had the same model/year for $3199 both brand new.
Ha - nah - I just like to pass on what I know, and think outside the box on occasions a bit too (which generally rubs a few up the wrong way, unfortunately!).

From what you said, I think it'll go well for you. Mine took about 1 day before I felt like I wasn't 10 seconds behind the bike - by day 2 I felt like I was "up to speed with it" - and by the end of about day 3 I felt like I had it under control enough to get among city traffic and not feel out of place. Suspect you too will quickly get used to it.

The thought of bigger / better / stronger / faster bikes is always cool - but there's always the flip side of higher purchase cost - higher maintenance costs - higher fuel costs etc. To put it in perspective, I drove to the dealer to pick mine up - but was left with the problem of "what to do with the car if I rode the bike away" (I was by myself) - so we formed a "plan of attack" ... salesman would ride the bike back to my house and I'd give him a ride back. Being a male, with testosterone levels to match, I was determined to get there first - after all, I know the route there better than he does, and my 2.4l Honda Accord should be more than a match for a 150cc PCX right? But there he was waiting for me when I pulled in the drive. Damn it! You won't be first on every occasion, but you won't be far behind - and you'll do it a LOT cheaper.
Awesome story lol, that was cool as hell he drove the scooter home for you. I'll take an Uber or whatever to get there, I have two Honda powersport dealers within 10 miles from me. That's the good thing about Phoenix, everything is 5-15 miles away in a HUGE state like Arizona.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Trevor wrote:
Awesome story lol, that was cool as hell he drove the scooter home for you. I'll take an Uber or whatever to get there, I have two Honda powersport dealers within 10 miles from me. That's the good thing about Phoenix, everything is 5-15 miles away in a HUGE state like Arizona.
Lol - I hadn't paid him for it at that stage :) (I was going to put it on finance because the monthly payments were going to be approx nothing - and when the paperwork was presented the payments were approx nothing ... but the finance company had put in a $300 "fee" for the pleasure of doing business with them - stuff that. Told them I'd just pay the whole lot in 1 go - but needed to transfer some $$$ overnight). They're pretty trusting, and I have an honest face :)
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

you you wrote:

X2

Or is it 5 now...?
Why?

Trevor has already indicated that most of his riding is going to be around 40 MPH max. I've documented thousands of KM riding with more weight onboard than he's going to have - and Trevor has already ridden the bike and verified that it is in-fact perfectly adequate for what he needs. He's also mentioned that he'd probably get himself in trouble on a bigger bike.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:
you you wrote:

X2

Or is it 5 now...?
Why?

Trevor has already indicated that most of his riding is going to be around 40 MPH max. I've documented thousands of KM riding with more weight onboard than he's going to have - and Trevor has already ridden the bike and verified that it is in-fact perfectly adequate for what he needs. He's also mentioned that he'd probably get himself in trouble on a bigger bike.
Because he asked for opinions. And there are others apart from yours. No matter how freely and often given.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

you you wrote: Because he asked for opinions. And there are others apart from yours. No matter how freely and often given.
So how about giving one then. One with a little substance and reasoning instead of the the usual hit and run snipes.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

We should give MAverick the all-knowing whisperer badge..just saying :D
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:
you you wrote: Because he asked for opinions. And there are others apart from yours. No matter how freely and often given.
So how about giving one then. One with a little substance and reasoning instead of the the usual hit and run snipes.
I gave an opinion. Same blindingly obvious reason as all the others, except yours.

He is too big and he will quickly come to that conclusion after he has bought a PCX.

Please please don't re-explain your opinion. It's on record.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

The two reasons I never take my PCX on the Interstate is that at 250 lbs. it takes the PCX too long to get me up to 60 MPH (on a flat road without wind or a hill) and these days I find it seldom that anyone actually does 65 MPH. That being said my PCX does crank up to 50 MPH rather quickly.

For me it's great for around town and regular two lane roads or back roads in the country. ;)

At my old weight of 295 lbs. I'd skip getting a PCX and go for something like a Shadow Phantom or CTX700. 8)
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I found the solution!!!!!!! I didn't know Honda even made these! I don't want to shift, I just want to cruise etc, I'm sure this will get me over 55mph if needed, 670cc engine. It's only a couble grand $ more than the PCX 150.

http://www.northvalleyhonda.com/default ... wInventory

http://www.northvalleyhonda.com/default ... wInventory
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

you you wrote: He is too big and he will quickly come to that conclusion after he has bought a PCX.
So how do you explain the facts that (1) I regularly ride with an even greater weight and mine is fine, (2) he's already ridden it and found it to be fine (as predicted), (3) it's still well within the weight range the manufacturer designed it for, and (4) as a percentage of all-up-weight increase our typical weights raise the overall percentage compared to a typical rider (who doesn't weight a heck of a lot less) + bike weight by stuff-all??