Texas flooding...

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Texas flooding...

Post by homie »

One disaster at a time
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I saw the news on that disaster. It is always bad over there. Every year many die over there during their rainy season. However, the Houston disaster is closer to home, and it will affect many in the United States because of the refineries there, plus those cars that were destroyed in the floods will find their way all over the place. I would not be surprised if some ended up in Nevada. Plus, there are a lot of aid organizations that many of us will be supporting here.
As was mentioned above, one disaster at a time.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

Mel46 wrote:Anyone want to buy a used Van? Slight flood damage.
main_900.jpg
This is what floods do to cars.
A Little Febreeze and it'll be fine!! LOL!!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I saw the news on that disaster. It is always bad over there. Every year many die over there during their rainy season. However, the Houston disaster is closer to home, and it will affect many in the United States because of the refineries there, plus those cars that were destroyed in the floods will find their way all over the place. I would not be surprised if some ended up in Nevada. Plus, there are a lot of aid organizations that many of us will be supporting here.
As was mentioned above, one disaster at a time.

Yours of course...
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

I do.

Lucky for me, though, if I want to help flood victims I don't have to go halfway around the world, all I have to do is go up to my daughter's house in Dickinson. Think I'll do that this afternoon.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

montliz44 wrote:I do.

Lucky for me, though, if I want to help flood victims I don't have to go halfway around the world, all I have to do is go up to my daughter's house in Dickinson. Think I'll do that this afternoon.

Johnny

:D fair enough.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Speaking of which, how is your house montliz44? Galveston was in the path too.

You you, if the UK had a disaster like this I am pretty sure we would want to help you folks out as much as we do our own. Aside from what that idiot, O#@&@, said about our relationship with the UK, we see you guys as our closest ally, along with Canada and the rest of the Commonwealth family... (are they considered that Now? I really don't keep up with geography and politics any more, but I know who my friends are.)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by montliz44 »

Hey Mel,

Thanks for asking. We did OK on our little street, which is in the middle of the island at the dizzying altitude of 18 feet, plus the island has pretty good drainage as long as it doesn't rain more than 5-6 inches per hour. So the house didn't get wet and the garage floor just got washed a couple of times, which didn't hurt anything since I keep all my tools and parts up off the floor anyway for occasions just like this. Scoots are OK, just got their little feet wet.

No such luck over on the mainland where my daughter lives. Their place is on a little finger of land between two bayous and the only drainage in her neighborhood is septic tanks and the bayous. Their house is built on ten-foot stilts which puts their altitude at a whopping twelve feet above sea level, so they got several feet of the good stuff up in their house.

To add to the fun she had to abandon the place on the first day of the bad part of the storm because she is a senior nurse at the big hospital here on the island and so she had to go there and stay for the duration. Her husband is a deputy sheriff, so he was out playing in the rain the whole time too. Fortunately she was able to drop off the three grandbabies at our house and hope for the best on her way to the hospital.

So all's well now that the storm has passed. My daughter and her husband both have large pickup trucks so they were finally able to make it home through the mud to get started on their house in their spare time.

All part of the joy of coastal living.

Johnny
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Speaking of which, how is your house montliz44? Galveston was in the path too.

You you, if the UK had a disaster like this I am pretty sure we would want to help you folks out as much as we do our own. Aside from what that idiot, O#@&@, said about our relationship with the UK, we see you guys as our closest ally, along with Canada and the rest of the Commonwealth family... (are they considered that Now? I really don't keep up with geography and politics any more, but I know who my friends are.)
Flooded Boxing Day two years ago, just getting over it. No deaths locally but around 20 in the UK. 47 in Texas and over in India and Nepal over 1,200 and rising with over 40 million displaced.

Not picking any argument with you Mel, as usual, but just pointing out that 40 million people with marginal resources to start with might be more of a catastrophe than pictures and angst about damage to vehicles. You can see that?
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by montliz44 »

I certainly take your point, you you, and I agree that nobody should care about the rich people who came here for the big money and their nice flooded homes and their nice flooded cars, and nobody does care and I don't either.

I do feel for the poor people who do not live here by choice just as their ancestors did not move here by choice and who have never had anything and never will and what little they manage to scrape together keeps getting washed away year after year. For us rich folks it's just an exciting diversion for a few weeks but for the others it's just the same old shit again and again.

Sort of like in the subcontinent, only with cellphones.

I do hear ya, though.

Johnny
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Never fear! soon the global warming crew will be deep in your wallet to help save the whole world from such disaster. Now, now no complaining about the deduction on your paycheck plus we never look at that anyway. Certainly the water will stop rising and all nations will absolutely follow suit :roll:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Never fear! soon the global warming crew will be deep in your wallet to help save the whole world from such disaster. Now, now no complaining about the deduction on your paycheck plus we never look at that anyway. Certainly the water will stop rising and all nations will absolutely follow suit :roll:
And you'll look after yourself. And never be any the wiser.

Less genourous would say you were a selfish cunt.

(user was warned about this post, please stop reporting it. Thanks - Maddiedog)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Most generous nation on the planet :) regardless if any are grateful, never changes.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:Most generous nation on the planet :) regardless if any are grateful, never changes.

Grateful dead.

Are you serious? You've caused more deaths than ISIS. You need to look at yourselves.

Most generous? FFS. Only with your bombs.

(user was warned about this post, please stop reporting it. Thanks - Maddiedog)
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by montliz44 »

Never mind global warming. This thread is warming for no good reason.Let's not do this.

Johnny
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Aside from the political arguments, there are quite a few of us over here that live from paycheck to paycheck and have nothing to fall back on, and yet we will give what we can to help when asked. From what I see here every single day, I doubt that this holds true for the rich.

I was born into poverty, and I worked hard to get out of poverty, but I learned a lot about others while climbing out of it. There are some who never will open their hearts and minds, and there are also some in poverty who will stay angry at the world because they expect others to get them out of poverty but don't want to lift a finger to help themselves. I have seen both. I choose to try to help those who can not help themselves right now, but who are willing to work with you to try to improve their situation. In the end, we can only help those who truly want our help.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150