I drank the koolaid, Hello! Advice needed.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Year: 2018
Color: white

I drank the koolaid, Hello! Advice needed.

Post by default »

Hi all! I'm an odd duck. I used to restore vintage mopeds (ya know, the pedal start kind) and at one point, road cross country on a 49cc tomos ST. Eventually I got a ruckus, and did what most do and modify it till its unrideable. Recently, I've been looking for a "bigger" scoot for daily use as well as some light off roading as I am a professional camper starting a new YouTube channel and I'll be using the scoot to get everywhere, packed full of gear.

I'd seen and heard much about the PCX and liked it styling, so today I stopped in the local dealer with just the idea that I'd "look" and then go off to find a helix or elite to use, but ended up taking home an '18 with 0 miles!

Of all the motorcycles I've owned, this is the second most fun I've ever had on 2 wheels. The looks I get when I blast past cars brings me so much joy!

So now, I need to find things to do to it. A lot of bikes I've owned had a set list of things you "needed" to do to improve them when you got them, is there anything I can do to the PCX? Are there any quirks or niggles I should know?

I am truly in love with this little oddball.

http://i.imgur.com/DEultAJ.jpg
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Re: I drank the koolaid, Hello! Advice needed.

Post by alx123 »

Off roads on a PCX?

Maybe start with offroad tires and better suspension..
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...

Post by default »

alx123 wrote:Off roads on a PCX?

Maybe start with offroad tires and better suspension..

believe me, the stock suspension is ok but id really like new rear stuff...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

How do you get paid to camp?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:How do you get paid to camp?
Changing your name to Julian Clary would be a start...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Perhaps start with the biggest Givi box on the back so you can add the essentials like rain gear, first aid kit, puncture repair kit, 12v compressor, and other stuff you need. Perhaps give some thought to Ride-On TPS and/or FOBO tyre pressure monitors? Heated grips are very nice to have for winter riding.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Getting adjustable shocks will make a lot of difference in the ride, plus if you go off road you can stiffen the ride.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Not sure where you are from. . ..

Highly admirable accomplishment on a true MOPED!

I think TOMOS is starting to emerge on the U.S. market again. . .slowly however.

For survival remember the 5 C's.

1) Cutting Tools
2) Containers
3) Covers
4) Combustible Devices
5) Cordage

It's all about retaining core temperature. 8)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome default to our forum(s) :P
You've come aways heh? How's about sharing your location with us so we can get more acquainted? We can help guide you and answer your questions if you share with us too. There are easy directions below my post to get that done. It would be most appreciated ;)

Cross country on a Tomos? Woot! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You

Post by default »

you you wrote:How do you get paid to camp?
Very carefully.

Post by default »

Since there doesnt seem to be a multiquote feature on here, I'll try to reply to yall in one shot from memory....

I have been camping most of my life, and am now a gear guide. I get, test and review the latest and greatest along with the tried and true. Love my job.

I am in Charleston SC, so I do ride year round and the PCX will be my only vehicle.

Contrary to most popular train of thought, most vehicles (PCX in our case) doesnt need be modified to go off road for the majority of trails people would be riding. In fact, the under seat is plenty big enough for all I carry and then some. One day Ill have pics of it packed up and looking "factory"

Yeah, the Tomos trip was interesting. The VERY short version is that I had a small "quarter life crisis" and left the house with $300 and the Tomos with the mindset that when I got to $150, I would then turn around and come home. When stopping for gas people would see my SC moped tag and begin asking questions, and would invariably offer assistance of some kind be it a place to stay for the night, a shower, lunch or a tank of gas (.8 gallons...). What happened a lot was people would offer a tank of gas and end up just handing me a $20 to keep to help with the trip, and eventually I made my way to Cali and back and had ~$500 in my pocket...

So yeah, thats the basics.
Attachments
DSCI0054.jpg
DSCI0054.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 949 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

A few years ago I nearly bought a TOMOS Sprint. They were only going for around $1200 but the word was out that TOMOS was going through some company reorganizations and they discontinued exporting to the U.S. market. At the end of the day I purchased a Genuine Roughhouse. Nice machine for the money and the parent manufacturer, PGO, from Taiwan has a reputation for quality products.

When I saw the picture of how much gear you had to carry on your TOMOS it made me question if there was anything left in the suspension. . .which looked stock.

You achieved what some people only dream of. . .and on their last days regret not doing it because at the time it seemed not practical or they were tied down with commitments that couldn't be ignored.

Good luck with your future ventures.

You'll find this forum a great resource to answer your questions and concerns about your PCX. I bought a new one in May and with only 1200 miles on it I'm convinced it's a keeper that I'll never part with. 8)
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

I guess it depends on your definition of "light off road", but I don't think I would have chosen the PCX for that Duty. Maybe a Yamaha Zuma 125 would have been better?

I will also be curious to see how you get everything you need for camping under the seat of a PCX150. Don't you use a tent and a sleeping bag for camping? How about tools, spare clothes and rain gear? At any rate, welcome to the fold!
-Jeremy
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Smaug wrote: I will also be curious to see how you get everything you need for camping under the seat of a PCX150. Don't you use a tent and a sleeping bag for camping? How about tools, spare clothes and rain gear?
Easy enough to bolt on the back ...

Post by default »

PCX150Rider wrote:A few years ago I nearly bought a TOMOS Sprint. They were only going for around $1200 but the word was out that TOMOS was going through some company reorganizations and they discontinued exporting to the U.S. market. At the end of the day I purchased a Genuine Roughhouse. Nice machine for the money and the parent manufacturer, PGO, from Taiwan has a reputation for quality products.

When I saw the picture of how much gear you had to carry on your TOMOS it made me question if there was anything left in the suspension. . .which looked stock.

You achieved what some people only dream of. . .and on their last days regret not doing it because at the time it seemed not practical or they were tied down with commitments that couldn't be ignored.

Good luck with your future ventures.

You'll find this forum a great resource to answer your questions and concerns about your PCX. I bought a new one in May and with only 1200 miles on it I'm convinced it's a keeper that I'll never part with. 8)

Heres whats funny: on that ride, I was ~250lbs. First thing I did was swap the shocks for some really heavy duty ones (and IIRC, longer)

On the rear is a locking box bolted to the rear rack. This held my paperwork, a set of leg shackles (to lock the bike), and some other odds and ends I didnt want to walk off. On top of the box was a sleeping bag and a stuff sack of my packable jacket and some odd clothing (I think it became my hamper)

Saddlebags held most of the hard goods, also hung off the rear rack (clipped right on!). In my overzealousness, I packed 2 of everything. Stoves, cook sets, lights etc. WAY more than I needed.

On the gas tank was my tent.

On the fender was my tools and spares.

GPS on the bars that mostly worked, but fell off a time or 2.

It all worked fairly well, and if I were to do it again Id leave half the crap at home and go lighter. Everything I took was backpacking oriented and small/light.

Post by default »

Smaug wrote:I guess it depends on your definition of "light off road", but I don't think I would have chosen the PCX for that Duty. Maybe a Yamaha Zuma 125 would have been better?

I will also be curious to see how you get everything you need for camping under the seat of a PCX150. Don't you use a tent and a sleeping bag for camping? How about tools, spare clothes and rain gear? At any rate, welcome to the fold!

I considered the Zuma but 1: theres none around here for sale (only the 50) and 2: I would only get the 2 stroke version. Im weird.

Packing isnt all that hard when you have the right stuff. I have tents, but they are small and I normally use a hammock/tarp/quilt setup. All of my gear to survive while camping can fit into a 60ltr backpack with plenty of room to spare. The biggest thing I may carry is a Kermit chair (which fits fine) and the Helinox table.

The best thing about the hammock setup is its smaller than a cantaloupe when stuffed, but if space is an issue I can unpack it and itll just lay in there like a sheet taking up little space.

I promise to post back, either here or a new thread (or both) when I get a day off and pack the bike.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

default wrote:
Smaug wrote:I guess it depends on your definition of "light off road", but I don't think I would have chosen the PCX for that Duty. Maybe a Yamaha Zuma 125 would have been better?

I considered the Zuma but 1: theres none around here for sale (only the 50) and 2: I would only get the 2 stroke version. Im weird.

Packing isnt all that hard when you have the right stuff. I have tents, but they are small and I normally use a hammock/tarp/quilt setup. All of my gear to survive while camping can fit into a 60ltr backpack with plenty of room to spare. The biggest thing I may carry is a Kermit chair (which fits fine) and the Helinox table.

The best thing about the hammock setup is its smaller than a cantaloupe when stuffed, but if space is an issue I can unpack it and itll just lay in there like a sheet taking up little space.

I promise to post back, either here or a new thread (or both) when I get a day off and pack the bike.

Excellent, please do.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

default wrote:

Adding a 60L backpack is not exactly the same as: "In fact, the under seat is plenty big enough for all I carry and then some. One day Ill have pics of it packed up and looking "factory" ;)

...but I get your drift.

You seem to me like someone who would get along well with a small adventure bike:
  • Honda CRF250L Adventure
  • Kawasaki Versys 300
  • Honda CB500x
  • Yamaha XT250
  • Yamaha TW200
  • etc.

Bringing a table & chair is not exactly traveling light either; most campgrounds have a picnic table.
-Jeremy

Post by default »

Smaug wrote:
default wrote:

Adding a 60L backpack is not exactly the same as: "In fact, the under seat is plenty big enough for all I carry and then some. One day Ill have pics of it packed up and looking "factory" ;)

...but I get your drift.

You seem to me like someone who would get along well with a small adventure bike:
  • Honda CRF250L Adventure
  • Kawasaki Versys 300
  • Honda CB500x
  • Yamaha XT250
  • Yamaha TW200
  • etc.

Bringing a table & chair is not exactly traveling light either; most campgrounds have a picnic table.

What I was trying to say was that my gear, when packed in my hiking pack, takes up very little room (leaving plenty for food/clothes/creature comforts). The chair I carry is a Kermit chair, not exactly small (the table is a Helinox Table 1 that is relatively small, and since I rarely use a real campground the table is sometimes a blessing). What I would actually need to camp is either my tiny tent or hammock, associated coverings (sleeping bag/quilts) and kitchen supplies.

My previous bikes include: Honda Fury, Yamaha Super Tenere' (TWICE), Kawasaki KLR 650, Yamaha FJ-09, a 9ft long CB750SS chopper and the first and 3rd generation of Kawasaki Concours. I like weird things.

Currently, the kermit chair and table is in the bike, along with my hammock and theres enough space for my lunchbox for work with room to add more.

Funny note: the place where my tool kit is supposed to be is almost a perfect fit for the Garmin Virb camera when its not on the bars.