Ah oh...

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Ah oh...

Post by Mel46 »

We have the bikes on our carport, just in case we get a clear day that isn't going to rain on us. It is a bit of a tight squeeze getting by sometimes so we have to look where we step. As my wife walked behind me she looked down and fluid had started to run down the back tire...odd. she called me over and I checked it. Antifreeze, I popped the seat lock and check the fluid reservoir. Empty. How in the world can that happen?? It has just been sitting there for the last 5 days. Looks like I will have to take it to the basement and take it apart. Will driving it around to the side of the house hurt the engine?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Ah oh...

Post by Jge64 »

30 secs of engine time? You'll be fine, I would think....I would do it, I'm assuming you don't want to push it.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Pushing isn't good on me. I am having my 7th back procedure on Monday morning, so I don't want to push my luck on my back either.
If I open the side gate and the basement door it would probably take me 30 to 50 seconds to ride it into the basement. The other choice was to set up some fans and hope I don't get eaten alive by mosquitos on the carport, or lose some of the screws while I work out there in 90° Temps with about that much humidity.
However, if running the engine for that long will kill the engine, I won't start it at all.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, I just took the bike to the basement! Yes! ...of course, I forgot that the back gate area has about 2 inches of mud that I had to get through, on an uphill slope. I guess my bike doesn't work well as a dirt bike. It kind of got stuck. I had one heck of a time getting it out, so the 30 second ride turned into a couple of minutes. Now I have to figure out how to clean off the mud while in the basement, but that can wait. At least it is in the basement where it needs to be. :-/
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

On a dead cold bike, I would think it would be fine for "minutes", not "seconds", the oil will get you the lubrication immediately.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

We have the bikes on our carport, just in case we get a clear day that isn't going to rain on us. It is a bit of a tight squeeze getting by sometimes so we have to look where we step. As my wife walked behind me she looked down and fluid had started to run down the back tire...odd. she called me over and I checked it. Antifreeze, I popped the seat lock and check the fluid reservoir. Empty. How in the world can that happen?? It has just been sitting there for the last 5 days. Looks like I will have to take it to the basement and take it apart. Will driving it around to the side of the house hurt the engine?
Mel - Newspapers or 13 or 30 gallon plastic garbage bags (cut in half linearly?) to put under the bike. . .although by the time I post this the mud is probably dry by now. Georgia red clay by any chance? Gnarly eh?

Hope your back is OK. Damn that bites.

I haven't pulled the panels off my PCX yet. . .still got about 3K miles to go before I do the first valve adjustment (IAW the UK SM). . .so I can't talk from experience about what the problem could be. On theory however I'm thinking a hose connection popped off that either deteriorated or wasn't properly fastened or a crack in the reservoir. Could even be a crack in the radiator some place also but I hope not. I just had to have a radiator replaced in my Honda Civic. It cracked where the hose connected up top. . .however there was corrosion working along the top seam as well. When I pull my panels I'll take a good look at how my PCX radiator is built.

Remember this recent thread Alx123 did? There's a couple of pics they may make you think about your strategy.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=7826

Good luck at the Doctor's on Monday. 8)
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

Antifreeze leak by the rear wheel maybe just a crack in the reservoir. I think I remember someone else having that problem. I would check that first.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

There have been a few reports of cracked coolant reservoirs.

To clean a bike in a basement (or anywhere else) use a waterless cleaner and microfibre cloths.

http://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/ultimate ... here-768ml
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Any spillage or puddles that accumulate can be a sweet treat that some animals are attracted to.Unfortunately,it is poisonous and will kill any dog or animal that licks and swallows it.Emphasize care in keeping animals out of your basement or where a dog or animal could be exposed to it.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

Mel,

I had a cracked reservoir on mine, don't know why it cracked, but it did right at the outlet tube. I tried several ways to fix it, including epoxy, but nothing worked, so I broke down and bought a new one. They cost like 29 cents. They're easy to change out, but you have to remove some tupperware to get to it. Your system is probably still full of coolant if it's just a cracked reservoir, so don't worry about riding it around the house.

EZ fix.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Any spillage or puddles that accumulate can be a sweet treat that some animals are attracted to.Unfortunately,it is poisonous and will kill any dog or animal that licks and swallows it.Emphasize care in keeping animals out of your basement or where a dog or animal could be exposed to it.
Thanks for sticking up for our furry friends! ;)

Propylene Glycol is not only used in what is supposed to be "safe" anti-freeze" but also commonly known as an additive in food products.

Ethylene Glycol is the "evil one". It's the toxic and more traditional ingredient of "anti-freeze" which is still around.

The thing is that one may not be able to know what the content of their vehicle radiator is for sure unless it has a traceable history of maintenance right from the factory. So hope for the best and brace for the worst.

I wish the coolant level was a little easier to read on the PCX. Since mine is new and relatively clean it's hard to see the level. . .even using a flashlight. That being said I'll watch for leaks if there is a history of cracks developing in the reservoirs. :geek:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

http://www.accessories-honda.com/images/OL999-9011.JPG
I believe Honda requires an ethylene glycol base as specified.. Not good for the furry fellows. Be careful of any leaks if using genuine Honda or similar specified product.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

http://www.accessories-honda.com/images/OL999-9011.JPG
I believe Honda requires an ethylene glycol base as specified.. Not good for the furry fellows. Be careful of any leaks if using genuine Honda or similar specified product.
You are absolutely correct. Thanks for bringing that up!

I bought a quart of the Honda coolant the day I purchased the PCX (in a rush) and when I read the label details today on the back of the container it clearly stated that it was ethylene glycol. I knew I got the right stuff. . .just didn't check to see if it was ethylene or propylene. I always keep my cat inside the house so when I change the stuff out in the future he'll be OK. . .and I'll dispose of it so no birds or squirrels drink it either. ;)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Mel - what was the outcome of the coolant leak?

Hope the Doctor's visit went OK. 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, after being down for a few days after my back procedure I went to the basement and tore down the bike to see what the problem was. Guess what...cracked in the reservoir right where the line connects. Hmmm... ordered a new part and will just have to wait now.
Last edited by Mel46 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:Well, after being down for a few days after my back procedure I went to the basement and tore down the bike to see what the problem was. Guess what...cracked in the reservoir right where the line connects. Hmmm... ordered a new part and will just have to wait now.
Good mechani-CAN Mel! Ride the wife's if you get the itch :) ... bike I meant.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Great idea! It may be a little longer than I normally take when I want to ride, due to the Radio Frequency I had on my back on Monday, but I WILL ride...:-)
Now that the bike is partly apart I can do some other mods as well, when I am not riding. I like doing mods.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

What frequency is your back on ? FM?? Right nip the channel selector and left is the volume?? No kidding what are they doing to your back ???Procedure ?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Great idea! It may be a little longer than I normally take when I want to ride, due to the Radio Frequency I had on my back on Monday, but I WILL ride...:-)
Now that the bike is partly apart I can do some other mods as well, when I am not riding. I like doing mods.

What other mods?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

First all I have a question. Now that I have changed out the coolant reservoir do I put antifreeze in it or do I remove the radiator cap and start the bike like I would a car...it has been so long since I have had to handle antifreeze that I can't even remember how I added more to a car. Do I use the reservoir in either process?? I have time to learn since I have to go to the dealer to get some anyway.

Next, the Radio Frequency procedure. For those who have not had one, they essentially go in and fry the nerves. A bit painful so I opted for semi unconscious. I was fine for a few hours but oh when everything woke up! Pain! But it should help with the constant pain I had running down my left leg from too many surgeries.

Next, mods. I needed to adjust my extra spot lights. I also added 2 more little strobe lights and set up some Junction boxes inside of the storage compartment for all those wires that go directly to the battery now. I still have more lights to attach but I may wait on them. I love doing mods...
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150