Help pls: min. residual? 120 for rear tyre?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Help pls: min. residual? 120 for rear tyre?

Post by doletotodole »

I read the JPN manual, there is a line lin Japanese like "groove residual" below the tyre specs, saying 1.5mm for front, 2.0mm for rear.
Do anyone understand the meaning.

My concern is, as I plan to install a 120mm tyre for rear, should this mean the min. residual between tyre and fender, then, 120mm tyre will get this out of spec.

Thank you.
Attachments
JPN Manual tyre.jpg
JPN Manual tyre.jpg (46.35 KiB) Viewed 509 times
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Help pls: min. residual? 120 for rear tyre?

Post by TheMaverick »

I'm confused. the 1.5mm / 2.0mm is just minimum tread depth to ensure that the tyre has sufficient ability to extract water from under the tyre in the rain to minimise the chance of aquaplaning (never a good thing on a bike!), and also ensures you don't get a blowout at 100km in a loaded turn because the tyre got too thin in the centre (if it gets flat on the outside - but is still rounded on the inside - then eventually the two "meet in the middle") (I've run two rear tyres too low and been lucky that I was only going slowly when they deflated - I won't run a rear over 10,000km now - just not worth the risk to life and limb to save a few $$$).

In terms of tyre sizes, my strong recommendation is to stick with what the bike is designed for - which in this case is a 100/90-14M/C
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

I believe it refers to what @TheMaverick is talking about, tire tread depth. Not about tire and fender clearance.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

TheMaverick wrote:I'm confused. the 1.5mm / 2.0mm is just minimum tread depth to ensure that the tyre has sufficient ability to extract water from under the tyre in the rain to minimise the chance of aquaplaning (never a good thing on a bike!), and also ensures you don't get a blowout at 100km in a loaded turn because the tyre got too thin in the centre (if it gets flat on the outside - but is still rounded on the inside - then eventually the two "meet in the middle") (I've run two rear tyres too low and been lucky that I was only going slowly when they deflated - I won't run a rear over 10,000km now - just not worth the risk to life and limb to save a few $$$).

In terms of tyre sizes, my strong recommendation is to stick with what the bike is designed for - which in this case is a 100/90-14M/C

Thank you, Sir.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Center tire tread depth