Broken Honda trunk box

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black

Broken Honda trunk box

Post by xixon »

I guess the pictures tell the story....both of the plastic arms that prevents the lid from opening too far, broke at the same time without any abnormal force.

I assuming replacement arms would not be cheap, as it's connected to the plastic "slot-nut" so you can't just replace the arm.....will see how much Honda wants for a new set

So for the short term, I just did a "MacGyver fix" with some 22 gauge wire, will see how that holds up

Has anyone seen this problem before?
Attachments
P8050015.JPG
P8050015.JPG (183.06 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
P8050012.JPG
P8050012.JPG (171.44 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
P8050008.JPG
P8050008.JPG (174.44 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: Broken Honda trunk box

Post by PCX150Rider »

Definitely something MacGyver would do. :lol:

The only other thing I can think of is to take a couple of heavy duty fishing leaders and modify them so that both ends will hook onto the existing holes. It would be rust resistant and plasti-coated and probably hold up a lot longer that the original arms. Plus you could put them on or remove them as easy as putting on or removing a hook. :geek:

My EMGO trunk (older style) didn't have any arms on it. 8)
xixon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by xixon »

PCX150Rider wrote:Definitely something MacGyver would do. :lol:

The only other thing I can think of is to take a couple of heavy duty fishing leaders and modify them so that both ends will hook onto the existing holes. It would be rust resistant and plasti-coated and probably hold up a lot longer that the original arms. Plus you could put them on or remove them as easy as putting on or removing a hook. :geek:

My EMGO trunk (older style) didn't have any arms on it. 8)
Thanks PCX150Rider....not a bad idea, kind of an upscale MacGyver fix

I dropped by my local Honda shop, they said they don't have replacements on hand but will check with Honda to see if available, and how many $$$.....my guess is they won't be cheap, or shall we say a bit more than a couple fishing leaders

cheers
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Seems to me that a couple of bits of line would do a better job anyway. One one side, two noose sort of knots that would snug up to the studs and on the other side, make one loop adjustable so that the strains are met at the same time.

You probably do want restraints on both sides, or the hinges will not be loaded the same, and eventually one will fail.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Remember that when manufacturers build a product they are out to save money, not make it last. Fixing it yourself will probably make it last much longer than even buying replacement parts. MacGyver it and call it a day. Your fix will look better and last longer
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Remember that when manufacturers build a product they are out to save money, not make it last. Fixing it yourself will probably make it last much longer than even buying replacement parts. MacGyver it and call it a day. Your fix will look better and last longer

Same
xixon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by xixon »

GeorgeSK wrote:Seems to me that a couple of bits of line would do a better job anyway. One one side, two noose sort of knots that would snug up to the studs and on the other side, make one loop adjustable so that the strains are met at the same time.

You probably do want restraints on both sides, or the hinges will not be loaded the same, and eventually one will fail.
yup...I did both side, the pic shows the original broken arm, just wanted everyone to see the before/after

I'm not much of a knot man, but I'm sure I'll be able to MacGyver it a bit better than it is now
xixon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by xixon »

Mel46 wrote:Remember that when manufacturers build a product they are out to save money, not make it last. Fixing it yourself will probably make it last much longer than even buying replacement parts. MacGyver it and call it a day. Your fix will look better and last longer
Sometimes they design a weak link of their products just so they can cash in on replacement parts, but in this case it appears to not be a common fault as they didn't have the parts on hand.

The final outcome will be based on the cost of the replacement parts.......if I can get both arms kits for around $20 CND ($16 USA) I may consider it.

My gut tells me they will want a stupid ridiculous price which will clearly motivate me to implement an upscale MacGyver fix

I predict they will want about $30 per kit, so $60 CDN ($48 USA) for both sides.....(I won't find out until Tuesday, as Monday is a national holiday)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Sometimes they design a weak link of their products just so they can cash in on replacement parts, but in this case it appears to not be a common fault as they didn't have the parts on hand.

The final outcome will be based on the cost of the replacement parts.......if I can get both arms kits for around $20 CND ($16 USA) I may consider it.

My gut tells me they will want a stupid ridiculous price which will clearly motivate me to implement an upscale MacGyver fix

I predict they will want about $30 per kit, so $60 CDN ($48 USA) for both sides.....(I won't find out until Tuesday, as Monday is a national holiday)
If you find "nirvana" with the MacGyver solution. . .yet feel compelled to get more stuff. . .put your money where it will do more good and add more storage.

There are some saddle bags out there you can get at a good price. https://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Scooter ... B00386LMZU

And while you are thinking about it. . .something to listen to and calm the mind. To seek the path of scooter enlightenment is a lifelong quest. ;)

xixon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by xixon »

Well the Honda dealership got back to me and has made my choice really simple.

They says replacement arms are not available as such they recommended a complete new trunk box...yeah right LOL

I think I'll be creating an upgraded MacGyver fix this weekend.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

There is a lot more good than bad left in your trunk box. :geek:

Definitely worth saving and once you get passed the psychological barrier that it's "not perfect" like it was when it was new you'll start to grin and be proud of your accomplishment. :D

I'll bet Richard Dean Anderson has wondered at least once about how many people he influenced on that TV series to solve everyday problems with great DIY solutions. I've got several seasons of MacGyver DVD sets. . .my kids insisted on getting them. ;)

I spotted this video on YouTube. . .one of his lady fans put together. :lol:

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

If your knot skills need a bit of a brush up, check out http://www.animatedknots.com/

And for a specific recommendation, the Hangman's noose:
http://www.wikihow.com/Tie-a-Hangmans-Noose

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
xixon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by xixon »

PCX150Rider wrote:
I'll bet Richard Dean Anderson has wondered at least once about how many people he influenced on that TV series to solve everyday problems with great DIY solutions. I've got several seasons of MacGyver DVD sets. . .my kids insisted on getting them. ;)

I spotted this video on YouTube. . .one of his lady fans put together. :lol:
good video, I haven't seen that show in quite some time.

I read in Wikipedia that the show's producer just missed getting the word "MacGyverism" into the Webster's Dictionary
xixon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by xixon »

GeorgeSK wrote:If your knot skills need a bit of a brush up, check out http://www.animatedknots.com/

thanks GeorgeSK....looks like they got every knot covered
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

GeorgeSK wrote:If your knot skills need a bit of a brush up, check out http://www.animatedknots.com/

Excellent. Bedtime watching. That'll frighten the wife... :D
xixon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by xixon »

I replaced the wire with a shoe lace, looks better but functionally not as good as the wire would bend inwards, where as the string can go any which way and can get caught in the lid when closing.

I think I'll go back to the wire concept, but will use black wire and make it look better
Attachments
P8120001.JPG
P8120001.JPG (177.06 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Here is a thought. Use the braided wire used to hang heavy pictures. Then put some black shrink wrap around it, and presto...looks good and functions beautifully.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
xixon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by xixon »

Mel46 wrote:Here is a thought. Use the braided wire used to hang heavy pictures. Then put some black shrink wrap around it, and presto...looks good and functions beautifully.
good idea....I have shrink wrap & wire, that might work well 8)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I think we can keep going with this thread. There must be another level of genius yet to be discovered. We can't stop now. . .. :o

Mel has set us off into a new direction. . .. o_O

Found this on the quest for more knowledge and wisdom. :geek:

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

If you want the lines to come inward, perhaps you could loop another bit of line through a moderate sized nut (3/8"? 4-6 mm?) and tie the line to the center of each support cord.

Or not worry, unless the trapped line is screwing up your box's seal or offending your sense of "right".