Honda pcx 125 service

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Rooneydavid79
Year: 2015
Color: Brown

Honda pcx 125 service

Post by Rooneydavid79 »

Hi everyone can someone give me some advice please my Honda pcx 2015 / 2700 miles is booked in for a service runs well sounds great pleasure to ride do I ask them to to check the valve adjustment or leave well alone any advice would be appreciated
Rooneydavid79

Re: Honda pcx 125 service

Post by Rooneydavid79 »

Rooneydavid79 wrote:Hi everyone can someone give me some advice please my Honda pcx 2015 / 2700 miles is booked in for a service runs well sounds great pleasure to ride do I ask them to to check the valve adjustment or leave well alone any advice would be appreciated
Sorry forgot to mention the last owner got it serviced at 2150 miles it says in the service book
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Rooneydavid79 wrote:Hi everyone can someone give me some advice please my Honda pcx 2015 / 2700 miles is booked in for a service runs well sounds great pleasure to ride do I ask them to to check the valve adjustment or leave well alone any advice would be appreciated

My opinion. It's just been serviced and it's running well so leave it.
Rooneydavid79

Post by Rooneydavid79 »

Thank you I'll take your advice much appreciated
Rooneydavid79

Post by Rooneydavid79 »

you you wrote:

My opinion. It's just been serviced and it's running well so leave it.
Thank you I'll take your advice much appreciated
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Checking the valves is a pig of a thing on the PCX - a lot of panels have to come off. It quickly became apparent that servicing "by the book" were going to cost a LOT of money for my PCX so I took the decision to do them myself. Dealer did the 1000km one (and adjusted the valves slightly) but apart from tyre changes I've done the rest myself (apart from oil changes which are easy there isn't much to so) and after 31,000km it still runs as good as new.

My opinion is that Honda are "very kind" to dealers at our expense - recommending that things are changed out far too early in my opinion (like spark plug - 8,000km off memory whereas in a car they're good for well over 100,000km - drive belt - 24,000km recommended I think - mine is fine at 31,000 (although I do have a spare on hand).

I asked another dealer about the importance of the valve checks - he said "it's not a particularly high revving engine" and "I wouldn't worry about checking it that often". My suggestion is to change the oil on time (I do mine every 4,000km) and apart from that, but let the bike tell you when things are changing (you'll get to know it REALLY well). Learning to do my own maintenance has been rewarding, educational, and has saved me probably well over $1000 dollars ... and there's PLENTY of expertise here to tap in to.
Rooneydavid79

Post by Rooneydavid79 »

Thank you for the advice sounds good to me and this is a good site the dealers are only interested in our money
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

It's probably fair to say that they offer a service, at a price; some are happy to pay that, but for me personally, when I looked into what was actually going to be done -v- what they were going to charge for that just didn't represent good value for my money. I think the perception is that what they do requires considerable expertise, whereas for someone who has fairly basic mechanical skills and common sense can easily tackle basic maintenance tasks. It's not exactly Formula 1 technology.

So nothing against them, but I'm going to reserve their services for things I don't want to attempt myself.