The light in the trunk under the seat

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White

The light in the trunk under the seat

Post by djbass »

Sorry if this question was discussed.
Tonight I went to the grocery store on a PCX and when I started to put packages under the seat remembered that on a previous scooter was Suzuki Sepia light in the boot, which is very convenient - picked up the seat and the light is lit.
Is there a similar accessory for PCX or ready solution how to do it?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: The light in the trunk under the seat

Post by Mel46 »

Not that I know of. You could probably buy one of those stick on one's but the heat would cause it to fall off. It would be simple enough to wired one in with a switch that activated it when the seat was lifted, but it would be ethanol another electrical thing to worry about draining your battery.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Personally, I just use the light on my cell phone if I'm struggling to see something in there. Failing that, it probably wouldn't be too hard to just tie on a cheap torch in a location you could find easily by feel - not an overly dignified solution but effective none-the-less.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I added a light to both the Forza and the PCX. If you have a battery tender lead, it is trivial to add a wire, a roller switch, and an LED cluster.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... seat+light

The LED cluster came from Miniinthebox: http://www.miniinthebox.com/g4-4-5w-9x5 ... rm=2.5.1.2

Not the exact one I used, but probably easier since it has a nicer connection. If 4 watts doesn't sound like enough, they have a 6 as well. Happy shopping!
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
djbass
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djbass »

GeorgeSK, thanks for your idea with the light with battery. I remembered that in my closet at home are standalone lamps with motion sensor, they have a large envelope for PCX and require 3 AA batteries. I'll try to order something similar and simple solution to smaller sizes, to avoid drilling the plastic PCX or something else.
IMG_20170401_171716.jpg
IMG_20170401_171716.jpg (214.15 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
I'll try to order this option, it requires 1 AA battery size
https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/1pc-4-LE ... st=ae803_1
HTB1qr.EHpXXXXcwXXXXq6xXFXXX3.jpg
HTB1qr.EHpXXXXcwXXXXq6xXFXXX3.jpg (160.75 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

Question - if you have anything in the under seat compartment, wouldn't a motion sensor light be activated every time you hit a bump in the road?
djbass
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djbass »

Yeah, also thought about this. Will unfasten the lamp from the closet and try. But in comments to the lamp it is written that the sensor is infrared, that is, it should "feel" of the person.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I had one of these hanging around and decided to try it on my PCX. It's 3 LEDs and takes 3 AA batteries. Push on and push off. It just fits nicely in the recess where I stow my owners manual. It also can be hung on a wall and has a magnet on the back to stick to a metal surface. It's been OK riding with it so far but I'm thinking I may cut a piece of Velcro to make a strap that keeps the top from falling forward. Right now as far as I can tell the lip on the seat goes low enough to cause interference so it stays in place. If I find it laying in the middle of the Center Carrier some time though I'll opt for the Velcro. I don't know if they sell these particular ones anymore but there are similar types out in the marketplace at discount and hardware stores. Really quite bright (at night) and no wiring or drilling involved. . .plus it's portable. Here's some pics of it. :D
100_4492a.jpg
100_4492a.jpg (184.41 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
100_4493a.jpg
100_4493a.jpg (180.69 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
100_4496a.jpg
100_4496a.jpg (215.88 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
djbass
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djbass »

Thanks for the photos, I will try.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You said that it has a Magnet? Well you could consider this item, which I purchased and installed on my dash for my cell phone. I had the kind that installs in the vents but when we put one on my wife's vent, the vent broke. This dash magnet comes with metal plates with adhesive backing. You could use the plates or the magnet, or both.
https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-Universa ... 53&sr=8-11
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Another simple solution to brightening up "the darkness."

Choices, can be found at this website. Here's one:
http://www.promierproducts.com/Promier- ... p_203.html
Wireless, on/off push button, sheds enough light (200 lumen), Size fits sidewall of our PCX bins. 2way mounting easy on/easy off - keyhole or magnet mount - disc included, takes 3AAA batteries.

Then there's this:
A wall "light" switch, @ 200 lumen. Flip it on, flip it off - similar to your basic wall switch.
http://www.promierproducts.com/Promier- ... _p_95.html

I will mention that I bought several dozen of these wall light switches last Christmas. They were given (with other small gifts) to the aides, workers and management at the Nursing Home that keep my Mom healthy, comfortable and Happy year long. My Sis and I try to give unusual items to them every Christmas. We play Santa Claus (hats/t-shirts, lots of Red!) We roll down the halls with shopping carts filled with wrapped gifts. There are two floors in the building and we Roll Mom right along with Us. She Beams!
Our 5th Christmas is coming up fast and our thinking caps will be lighting up soon (pun intended).

Oh shoot!! Get back on topic WN, you drifted again! :oops:
About those wall light switches, the aides in the nursing home reported back to my mother (92) saying, "they loved them, it's exactly what they needed" and also shared useful applications with her too!
Example: one aide told her that she bought a whole bunch more and placed one above every electrical wall switch in her home. My Mom puzzled asked, why? I live with my child, if we lose power we know we can reach out and still turn a light on - In The Same Location.
Oh my God how clever is that!! Instant light and her child won't be scared whether he or she is alone or by her side. KUDO'S to that Mom!!

Okay done here. Ya'll take a look around those pages and see what lights up your world :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh wait! If you're liking the wall light switch they can be bought in bulk too. I believe Walmart, Amazon and even Home Depot carry them that way. Google for best price and also be sure they are branded "PROMIER"
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Thanks for the info WN. . .those switches got great ratings I see now . . .(no pun intended). :lol:

I ended up having to use Velcro on my light and stuck it to the compartment that the Owners Manual is stowed in.

I rode the PCX over some good frost heaves around town. . .yes they are still around. . .and it did finally bounce out of the position I had it placed in. No biggie. . .nothing broke. Reverted to the Velcro option. :roll:

Sorry I didn't provide a new pic of it installed here but using the preexisting pic I think you can get the idea.

If you look to the lower left (or right) of the light in the pic below you'll notice there's a fairly good amount of surface area to apply Velcro on. So what I did was make a capital letter L with the thorny side of the Velcro on that surface area and then took the fabric side of the Velcro which was previously match cut to the exact same dimensions and placed it on top of the thorny side. Then I took my light and made sure I had it aligned the way I wanted it and pushed it onto the Velcro. It stuck great. . .and having the letter L configuration gives it some lateral shimming so no wobble. If you use the right side then make a "backwards" L ;)

Took it for about a 5 mile ride after that and worked like a charm. :D
100_4493a.jpg
100_4493a.jpg (180.69 KiB) Viewed 1398 times
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

OK. . .so it's finally really dark and I took the Kodak out in the garage to take some pics of the new location for the Center Compartment light. 8)

The first pic was taken with the light on and using a flash so it's fairly clear and you can see where it is now. :geek:

The second pic was taken without any flash in total darkness with just the light on I installed. So it's not perfect. . .but it does light things up enough to read a manual. Here they are. . .a drum roll please. :lol:
100_4497a.jpg
100_4497a.jpg (186.72 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
100_4500a.jpg
100_4500a.jpg (131.87 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
djbass
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djbass »

Looks great, light enough.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

You said that it has a Magnet? Well you could consider this item, which I purchased and installed on my dash for my cell phone. I had the kind that installs in the vents but when we put one on my wife's vent, the vent broke. This dash magnet comes with metal plates with adhesive backing. You could use the plates or the magnet, or both.
https://www.amazon.com/Nekteck-Universa ... 53&sr=8-11
Thanks for mentioning these Mel. I'll keep them in mind if I mount anything on the dash.

I still can't believe how well the PCX was built and runs, plus the fuel economy (118 MPG averaging yesterday). Now I know what all you posters were talking about. :geek:

As mentioned above I found I needed to use the Velcro option if I wanted to keep my LED light in the same place in my Center Compartment. It failed the frost heave road bump test just sitting in the manual bin. It's been quite hot up here lately as well. . .especially the humidity, so if the Velcro holds up over the next few weeks without coming unglued (so-to-speak) I'll be a happy camper. :D

The reason I used the "L" pattern was so that if I wanted to remove the light base it would be easier than having two long vertical strips. That being said I can still leave the base stuck to the manual bin and just unscrew the body to swap out the batteries. Sometimes life "Is" good. ;)
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

One thing that I've found when dealing with sticky-back velcro, is to heat the area with a heat-gun(hair blow dryer will work too).
It makes the adhesive stick better. I have done this before and after application and it has worked very well,
even in hot/cold temperatures. Just don't heat it enough to melt the plastic!!!