Changed My Final Drive Oil Today for First Time

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Changed My Final Drive Oil Today for First Time

Post by PCX150Rider »

Okay - So I waited until I rode at least 1000 miles on my new 2017 PCX to do my first oil change on the Final Drive. Actually there was 1050 miles on it today. . .have only had it since May. :geek:

To make a long story short it's an easy job. As Homie shows in his video (and in the SM) you remove the top "inside" bolt (fill bolt) on the drive case and then the drain bolt below. Use a good sized drain pan to catch the old oil. The drain bolt is about twice the length of the fill bolt so don't get them mixed up when you reinstall them. They each have what appear to be copper washers. I gave it at least 10 minutes for the oil to totally drain out while I futzed around with other stuff. I did rotate the wheel a few times also. After I wiped the drain hole clean I reinstalled the bolt and tightened.

After shaking the bottle a bit to mix up the additives in the oil, I eyeballed about what looked like an 1/8th of a quart of Pro Honda HP4M 10w-30 with Moly and emptied it into a plastic cup (I ended up having to add a little more because I erred on the side caution). I grabbed a 10 ml plastic syringe and took from the cup and injected into the fill hole several times until the oil started to drip back out of the hole when it was full. I let that drip for a few minutes until it basically stopped dripping, wiped, and reinstalled the fill bolt and tightened.

Wiped everything clean again, emptied the old oil into my recycle jug to be properly disposed of,recorded the maintenance in my manual, and went for a ride.

Below I'm providing some pictures do show the condition of this oil since it was the first change on the final drive. As an added note I had previously done the engine oil at around 600 miles and used the same type oil except in a 10w-40 weight.

Drain pan was clean without any grit or particles before oil change.
100_4484a.jpg
100_4484a.jpg (372.6 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
Oil was drained and there were some trace amounts of shiny particles in the oil. . .sort of a goldish color. . .break in debris I guess.
100_4485a.jpg
100_4485a.jpg (319.11 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
Another closer pic of the particles. Will see how it looks the next time but I think after 1000 miles it should be pretty well broken in by now and the next time it's drained hopefully it will have little or no grit.
100_4487a.jpg
100_4487a.jpg (226.64 KiB) Viewed 1858 times
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Re: Changed My Final Drive Oil Today for First Time

Post by Smaug »

You didn't happen to take any pictures during the process, did you?

...or are you saying that homie's vid. was adequate on its own? ;)

Sometimes, I feel like I need to find videos that are not done so tidily. He's got everything laid out in a tidy manner... it just doesn't simulate how things work in my garage at all. ^_^
-Jeremy
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Put a dab of paint on the two bolts that need removing to save checking the manual next time.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Smaug wrote:Sometimes, I feel like I need to find videos that are not done so tidily. He's got everything laid out in a tidy manner... it just doesn't simulate how things work in my garage at all. ^_^
I know the feeling. During an oil change it's almost mandatory for the wind to pick up and blow the last tiny stream of oil into places where it's not supposed to go - then of course some has to spill when I'm putting the new stuff in.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

You didn't happen to take any pictures during the process, did you?

...or are you saying that homie's vid. was adequate on its own? ;)

Sometimes, I feel like I need to find videos that are not done so tidily. He's got everything laid out in a tidy manner... it just doesn't simulate how things work in my garage at all. ^_^
I watched Homie's video, but could have figured it out using the SM. The thing is the video gives you that "real life" experience you just don't get with printed publications. :D

Here's his Final Drive videos. . .you can bookmark them for later. Everything is in the open, use the center stand, the bolts are 12mm, a cushion to kneel on would help, have the usual roll of paper towels on standby. ;)

You keep his videos in your brain and the job is a cinch. I used a smaller syringe and didn't have a plastic tube on the end to siphon from the oil bottle so by pouring the approximate amount of oil I needed in a plastic cup first made it easier to fill the syringe. :geek:

FWIW when I did the engine oil change at 600 miles I actually found lint in the oil strainer screen just as he had predicted in one of his other videos. ;)

Designates the bolts to remove for drain and fill.

Demonstrates the Final Drive oil refill.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Put a dab of paint on the two bolts that need removing to save checking the manual next time.
Good idea. . .I've got some old "touch up" paint sitting around that comes with the small paint brush. If I'm careful maybe I can do an "F" for fill and a "D" for drain on the socket head centers. :geek:
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Good idea. . .I've got some old "touch up" paint sitting around that comes with the small paint brush. If I'm careful maybe I can do an "F" for fill and a "D" for drain on the socket head centers. :geek:
I just take a phone pic for my archives and mark the pic bolts, always avail and no paint.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Also covered by maddiedog in the 'how to section' of this forum - lots of useful tips and vid links there.
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t ... inal+drive
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Jge64 wrote:
PCX150Rider wrote:
I just take a phone pic for my archives and mark the pic bolts, always avail and no paint.
I just look in the area where the two bolts were last time ...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:
There are three bolts in the area.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

you you wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:
Yes. On my bike the two upper ones are in the same horizontal plane so obviously neither of those are drain holes, and of the two, obviously one must be structural and the other just a plug - and it would make no sense to make the structural one the one closer to the front - so it's not hard to work out IMHO which are the two that need to come out to change the rear drive oil.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Also covered by maddiedog in the 'how to section' of this forum - lots of useful tips and vid links there.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3224&hilit=final+drive
Very informational link. . .. Which reminds me. I'm going to keep an eye on the drain and fill bolts for any weeping over the next hundred miles or so. I reused the original sealing washers. They were in good shape. That being said I'm going to have to start a list of seals, orings, gaskets, and washers to have on hand as more scheduled maintenance is required. Instead of ordering stuff in ones and twos I'd rather order a sufficient quantity so as to build up the purchase value to qualify for free shipping. . .like from Bike Bandit. 8)
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

PCX150Rider wrote:Which reminds me. I'm going to keep an eye on the drain and fill bolts for any weeping over the next hundred miles or so. I reused the original sealing washers. They were in good shape.
I've done that with all washers I've had off - no problems so far. I even went 4000 KM without a washer on the sump drain plug after I discovered I'd left it off after changing the oil ... still wasn't a problem.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:
you you wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:
Yes. On my bike the two upper ones are in the same horizontal plane so obviously neither of those are drain holes, and of the two, obviously one must be structural and the other just a plug - and it would make no sense to make the structural one the one closer to the front - so it's not hard to work out IMHO which are the two that need to come out to change the rear drive oil.

Oh dear..., you've taken a set.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Just don't touch the bolt w/o the washer.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

PCX150Rider wrote:
I'm going to have to start a list of seals, orings, gaskets, and washers to have on hand as more scheduled maintenance is required. Instead of ordering stuff in ones and twos I'd rather order a sufficient quantity so as to build up the purchase value to qualify for free shipping. . .like from Bike Bandit
Did you ever make that master list PCX150Rider? If you did, would you be kind enough to share it here?
I've been meaning to do the same thing. I got started then get caught up elsewhere :(

By the way, I said the same thing yesterday whilst checking levels, "use some touch-up car paint on those screw-in screw-out maintenance bolts. God knows! I have assorted flavors to choose from :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:
PCX150Rider wrote:
I'm going to have to start a list of seals, orings, gaskets, and washers to have on hand as more scheduled maintenance is required. Instead of ordering stuff in ones and twos I'd rather order a sufficient quantity so as to build up the purchase value to qualify for free shipping. . .like from Bike Bandit
Did you ever make that master list PCX150Rider? If you did, would you be kind enough to share it here?
I've been meaning to do the same thing. I got started then get caught up elsewhere :(

By the way, I said the same thing yesterday whilst checking levels, "use some touch-up car paint on those screw-in screw-out maintenance bolts. God knows! I have assorted flavors to choose from :D

Exactly. Pop a dot of paint on and you dont have to think about it again.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I must admit I've been remiss in doing a gasket, oring, seal, list. Got to get to that. I did do all the Fall bike maintenance and the PCX crankcase and gear oil on time though. Also adjusted the rear brake cable. Everything else seems to be holding so far. No weeping on the final drive gear case. :geek:

Hopefully the weather will be more "Spring Like" in a couple of weeks and I can give the PCX the "once over" for cleaning, waxing, and maintenance checks to start this year off right. ;)

BTW a few inches of snow in the forecast for my area tomorrow. Maybe a little more again at the end of the week. . .go figure. o_O
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh it happened alright! 6-7" of wet snow :x
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Hmmm...i guess i should consider changing my final drive oil. I dont think it has ever been changed.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers