Quick brake question

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Quick brake question

Post by Smaug »

I had the wheels off my PCX the other week to get new tires on it. While they were off, I checked the brake pads and shoes.

The rear shoes looked good, plenty of material on them. (my PCX has less than 7,000 miles on it)

The fronts looked OK too, but I'll admit I didn't look too closely; they're kind of way back there.

When I start riding it in the morning, it squeaks a little upon low speed stops. Not at all on high speed braking, and by the end of my ride to work, it's not squeaking any more.

I'm guessing that the front pads are about worn down, and this is just the beginning of the squeakage. How many miles have you guys been getting out of a set of front pads?
-Jeremy
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Quick brake question

Post by Mel46 »

Brakes, especially disc brakes, have a tendency to squeak when you first use them in the morning.they get moisture from dew and they just need to dry off. My bike. Has around 5500 miles on it and it squeals when I first use them in the morning.
If you don't trust your own eyes, have a mechanic look at them. They shouldn't have to take the front tire off to check the pads for wear.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

Mel46 wrote: If you don't trust your own eyes, have a mechanic look at them.
Whoa, let's not get carried away here!

When I did car disc brakes last time, the previous mechanic had not applied anti-squeal compound to the back of the pads, which my brother (former mechanic) said is absolutely required, if you don't want them to squeak. I'll make sure to do that when I change the pads.
-Jeremy
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

My bike is coming up on 32,000km and still on original front and rear pads - and I use the brakes quite aggressively - so there shouldn't be any issues there for you for quite some time. The fronts do have a wear limit line etched on the side though, which you can see from the front; I didn't find it particularly obvious until I knew what I was looking for, but it is in the user manual off memory. Also, the oil in the reservoir gets lower and lower as the front pads wear - mine is now getting towards the lower limit of the window when the bike is level (don't evaluate whilst it's on the kick stand) - if you're is still showing 1/2 to 3/4 full then that's definitely not the problem. I've never had squeaky front brakes, but I get a bit with only light application of the rear (it goes away with heavier application). The rear brakes also have a wear limit indicator (mentioned in the manual also). Hope this helps.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Smaug wrote:I had the wheels off my PCX the other week to get new tires on it. While they were off, I checked the brake pads and shoes.

The rear shoes looked good, plenty of material on them. (my PCX has less than 7,000 miles on it)

The fronts looked OK too, but I'll admit I didn't look too closely; they're kind of way back there.

When I start riding it in the morning, it squeaks a little upon low speed stops. Not at all on high speed braking, and by the end of my ride to work, it's not squeaking any more.

I'm guessing that the front pads are about worn down, and this is just the beginning of the squeakage. How many miles have you guys been getting out of a set of front pads?
Could be a variety of things not to worry about. Cold pads/minor glazing/damp/dust. Try using them hard a few times and see if that helps.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Squeak will stop once the pads are warmed up after a few brakes.

Both rear and front brakes have wear indicator that will tell if the pads/shoes needs changing.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

Thanks fellas.
-Jeremy