I feel like taking a gamble.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Re: I feel like taking a gamble.

Post by springer1 »

Um.. on the first note I agree about the VCA. Take to dealer someday, sell scoot before you have to, anything but that long slow process.
Having just recently bought one I'm not an expert on the PCX, but have owned other bikes. My experience is that most times (not always) they need adjustment after an engine's break in period, and after that, infrequently. But maybe the PCX is different.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

homie wrote:Got them bullet points nailed now! Hows that done?
Use the List button above, which gives a set of {List} tags. Precede each bulleted item with {*} (replacing the braces with the square brackets)

If you want a numbered list, I think you use the List= button, and put '0' directly after the '='
-Jeremy
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

springer1 wrote:
Um.. on the first note I agree about the VCA. Take to dealer someday, sell scoot before you have to, anything but that long slow process.
Having just recently bought one I'm not an expert on the PCX, but have owned other bikes. My experience is that most times (not always) they need adjustment after an engine's break in period, and after that, infrequently. But maybe the PCX is different.
That's been my experience too. (mostly with Honda Civics)
-Jeremy
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

you you wrote:
Smaug wrote:
you you wrote:Sorry, what is the gamble?
The gambles are:
  • Trusting that the right oil is in it, so the engine won't be damaged
  • Not checking valve clearances, and trusting that won't cause engine damage

I think you mean risk not gamble.
Risk and gamble both imply there's something to lose.

Either one works, but thanks for the English check.

By the way, haven't you got anything better to do than to troll me?
-Jeremy
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Smaug wrote:
you you wrote:
Smaug wrote:
  • Trusting that the right oil is in it, so the engine won't be damaged
  • Not checking valve clearances, and trusting that won't cause engine damage

I think you mean risk not gamble.
Risk and gamble both imply there's something to lose.

Either one works, but thanks for the English check.

By the way, haven't you got anything better to do than to troll me?
Risk, you can influence things.

Gamble you can't influence.

You can change the oil or set the valves so it's a risk, probably a calculated one.

Sorry if you think I'm trolling. I'll back it off.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

The 6000kms is Honda's recommendation, and they use a mineral based oil for it. (Not sure)

What if I use a fully synth? Can I double the interval?

With 6000kms interval, that would be approx 6 months to me. Wondering if I can just change my oil once a year if I use a fully synth.

Would that be risky, or am I gambling? :lol:

Just curious...
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

dgnyberg, this is where I installed the tiny strobe lights. I am not sure if they are large enough to be seen during the daytime, but they are great at night and are not too large. I have a switch on the handlebar for them as well.
Strobe light location.jpg
Strobe light location.jpg (344.87 KiB) Viewed 405 times
I like where you installed your extra lights, but you will definitely have to aim them down much more than they are. They should only be hitting the road. I have some lights almost just like those in my basement that I was going to install on my bike but decided that they would be too hard to adjust correctly from where I was installing them. For you they should be fairly easy since they are mounted higher up.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

alx123 wrote:The 6000kms is Honda's recommendation, and they use a mineral based oil for it. (Not sure)
What if I use a fully synth? Can I double the interval? With 6000kms interval, that would be approx 6 months to me. Wondering if I can just change my oil once a year if I use a fully synth. Would that be risky, or am I gambling? :lol:
Just curious...
Check and change it before or at the 600 mark for fully synth, then at the recommended intervals should be fine. Some change it much more frequently, but I doubt there is any need for that.
Interesting that for the '17 models onwards, Honda seem to have got rid of all service checks at the 1st 600 mile service except for the oil change (but dealers will probably charge the same rip off prices) but at the same time lowered the service intervals for all the subsequent checks including oil change to every 4000 miles instead of 5000.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Interesting that for the '17 models onwards, Honda seem to have got rid of all service checks at the 1st 600 mile service except for the oil change (but dealers will probably charge the same rip off prices) but at the same time lowered the service intervals for all the subsequent checks including oil change to every 4000 miles instead of 5000
Hmmm ..... not according to my 2018 Owners Manual. It specifies the 600mile service is change oil, inspect valve clearance. Then every 2,500 miles inspect valve clearance, and every 5,000 miles change oil. Does your Owners Manual specify something else ? Thanks.
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

Mel46 wrote:dgnyberg, this is where I installed the tiny strobe lights. I am not sure if they are large enough to be seen during the daytime, but they are great at night and are not too large. I have a switch on the handlebar for them as well.
Strobe light location.jpg
I like where you installed your extra lights, but you will definitely have to aim them down much more than they are. They should only be hitting the road. I have some lights almost just like those in my basement that I was going to install on my bike but decided that they would be too hard to adjust correctly from where I was installing them. For you they should be fairly easy since they are mounted higher up.
Where did you get the strobes? (maybe a link, or more info) I'm really interested in adding more lights, especially for night driving. On the back of the scoot, I added black PCB LED strip lights as additional turn signals. You can't see them on the black scoot, but they are quite bright when they flash. I also added some COB LED strips for underglow lighting for the scoot.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

These are the little strobe lights i have on my bike. I have two sets of these. They are quite small, but that is what I wanted, so that they would be invisible until I turned them on.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

I also purchased this set but I had a time finding a place for them where they would be invisible...and then one of them burned out. :-( ...but that happens sometimes.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

Thanks Mel!! Now I have more ideas for seeing and being seen!!!