Steering Lock

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Steering Lock

Post by Sandymay »

Sometimes my steering lock works the first time I try to put it on, and other times I need to keep moving the handlebars back to centre and then to the far left, try to lock the steering, and keep repeating if it doesn't lock.....

Is there a secret to this?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Steering Lock

Post by you you »

Sandymay wrote:Sometimes my steering lock works the first time I try to put it on, and other times I need to keep moving the handlebars back to centre and then to the far left, try to lock the steering, and keep repeating if it doesn't lock.....

Is there a secret to this?

Yes, what you are doing :lol:
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I have to jiggle my bars when it is turned full lock to get the steering lock to work.

It is possible to turn it a few degrees too far, back it off a bit.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I gave up trying to use mine and just put a Grip-lock on when I go to the store.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Sandymay wrote:Sometimes my steering lock works the first time I try to put it on, and other times I need to keep moving the handlebars back to centre and then to the far left, try to lock the steering, and keep repeating if it doesn't lock..... Is there a secret to this?
Yes mam, with the wheel turned fully right, key from the off position PUSH THE KEY IN and turn it left. You will feel the key go into the ignition deeper, 1/8th of an inch or so.

This safety feature forbids you from rolling down the street, turning off the engine and turning your key fully left locking the steering. Highly unlikely anyone would do this while coasting in a full right hand turn but Honda thought to put the extra action just in case.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

homie wrote:
Sandymay wrote:Sometimes my steering lock works the first time I try to put it on, and other times I need to keep moving the handlebars back to centre and then to the far left, try to lock the steering, and keep repeating if it doesn't lock..... Is there a secret to this?
Yes mam, with the wheel turned fully right, key from the off position PUSH THE KEY IN and turn it left. You will feel the key go into the ignition deeper, 1/8th of an inch or so.

This safety feature forbids you from rolling down the street, turning off the engine and turning your key fully left locking the steering. Highly unlikely anyone would do this while coasting in a full right hand turn but Honda thought to put the extra action just in case.
You got it right but it still seems silly. Oh well.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

davenowherejones wrote:I have to jiggle my bars when it is turned full lock to get the steering lock to work.

It is possible to turn it a few degrees too far, back it off a bit.
^^^^ +1

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!