Anti thief recommendations

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Anti thief recommendations

Post by TheMaverick »

alx123 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/pratchayanan/v ... 240684897/

Just lock the steering and park it in a well-lighted area they say...
Flip side of the coin ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU9MB5XPsp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCetfrzg2cY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhzvHFp ... dh_AWxb0MS

Most crappy locks can be opened in seconds without the key - and many of the locks on bike security products are crappy locks. For even the most expensive devices, it usually only takes a few seconds with a battery-powered grinder (yep - thieves are THAT brazen -- as one pointed out, who's going to confront a dude with a battery-powered grinder as a weapon?). Horses for courses of course, but if someone stole my PCX then I pay a $300 deductible and insurance company buys me a nice new one - having to secure it with additional devices all the time would be a major pain-in-the-rear for me.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

I too have a thief insurance.

But any lock than can buy you a few seconds in public place is better than an easy twist and go keyhole.

It "might" discourage them thieves. there's always an easier bike to steal nearby.

But i agree with you, thief insurance is the perfect solution.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Sandymay
Scooter Sandy
Scooter Sandy
Year: 2015
Color: Bronze

Post by Sandymay »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments...At night, and at work, I am using a grip lock on the right grip and a 1/2" cable on the tire secured to the footing of the shed, and an oxford cover.....

.thinking about purchasing a second grip lock then I could put one on both grips....easy to see, and they are super easy to use, for parking in parking spots.....thoughts?
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

alx123 wrote:I too have a thief insurance.

But any lock than can buy you a few seconds in public place is better than an easy twist and go keyhole.

It "might" discourage them thieves. there's always an easier bike to steal nearby.

But i agree with you, thief insurance is the perfect solution.
It probably depends on how people are using their bikes & where they live - for me, mine is a workhorse - multiple short trips a day mixed with anything and everything else - it would drive me nuts to have to secure it with other devices. Having just said that though, police were over at my neighbour's house today - she's 1 of 4 within a stone's throw who have been burgled in the past couple of days, so probably a good time for me to review security around here.

What I'd LOVE to see is more bikes fitted with discrete tracking devices (not the useless bluetooth ones) that could be used to track the scumbags so they can be locked up where they belong.
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

Anyone here uses a disc lock alarm, like the ones from Xena? It seems easy enough but I worry that it might be too sensitive.

I've also been looking at some GPS trackers with vibration alert, but haven't found one that seems good for this age. Shouldn't it be easy? Take an Android smartphone, keep the GPS and accelerometer, remove unnecessary features, optimise the shape, customise the Android, price it a lot cheaper than the cheapest smartphone, and done! No?
ImageImageImage
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Um Yeahhh, tracking devices, like having an electronic detective 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

raito wrote:Anyone here uses a disc lock alarm, like the ones from Xena? It seems easy enough but I worry that it might be too sensitive.

Be supportive and a good listener. Run it the occasional bath and some flowers might help.

It's probably worried that you are worried. Talk more.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

raito wrote:Anyone here uses a disc lock alarm, like the ones from Xena? It seems easy enough but I worry that it might be too sensitive.

I've also been looking at some GPS trackers with vibration alert, but haven't found one that seems good for this age. Shouldn't it be easy? Take an Android smartphone, keep the GPS and accelerometer, remove unnecessary features, optimise the shape, customise the Android, price it a lot cheaper than the cheapest smartphone, and done! No?
A quick and dirty solution might be to get the cheapest possible phone that has GPS tracking, and mount it somewhere on the bike where it has access to power - then just use the usual "find my phone" sites. I've use TrackR for a while to find my keys, but around here there's not enough people using the app for the crowd GPS mode to be of any use - so it's only useful within bluetooth range. Saw a startup looking for funding the other day - looks promising, but it's going to be a subscription based service; Called "Magpie" if anyone want to Google it. There are other commercial GPS products for vehicle tracking, but I don't know a lot about them.
salcar57
Year: 2018
Color: White

Post by salcar57 »

I lock handlebars, lock ignition Xena disc lock/alarm.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by JustPassinThru »

you you wrote:I don't worry about it and just park in a well lit area with a decent footfall. Its worked for over 40 years.
THIS.

It's hard enough to SELL one of these things, at deeply-reduced prices. Seriously...fifty-percent depreciation with 1300 miles on it?

Sure, there are some...individuals...who will snatch first, ask questions later. But rudimentary precautions, like taking the key out, like parking in a well-lit or relatively-secure area, like locking the steering neck, will reduce the chances of theft to almost nothing.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

My solution is to live in Canada.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:My solution is to live in Canada.

A bit extreme..
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

davenowherejones wrote:My solution is to live in Canada.
I lost this Sh150i to some thieves last summer. They smashed and hot wired it but the
idiots busted the ign switch and didn't find the cable to lift the seat to refuel. So they
drove it till it ran out of gas and dumped in a parking lot. Insurance Co wrote it off.
A few things I miss about it over my PCX150 are the true step through, the Givi windshield
and the 16 inch wheels. I could not find another one within 1000 miles of me at the time.

Pity
Attachments
GEDC1320.JPG
GEDC1320.JPG (412.26 KiB) Viewed 1119 times
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

So much for moving to Canada...and I just read about a shooter in Toronto.

But wait, there's more.
What about the bears? I remember seeing pictures in the past of bears on bikes. Maybe they have moved up to scooters now. If you see one riding a scooter, you can bet the scooter was stolen.Nadman, now you have an idea as to who stole your scooter. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers