Morning ride on the Kymco

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Morning ride on the Kymco

Post by fish »

No one moving down at the marina, yet.

Wildflowers are out in full force. The Rangers burn this field off every 2 years....and all this comes right back.

My favorite picture from this ride.

Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Morning ride on the Kymco

Post by you you »

Why do they burn the field? Fire barrier?
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Nice pics!

I see you've redone the seat. . .what a difference eh? :D

One thing I'll say about the Like 200i is that it's a lot easier to get to the valves for an adjustment than on the PCX. ;)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

PCX150Rider wrote:Nice pics!

I see you've redone the seat. . .what a difference eh? :D

One thing I'll say about the Like 200i is that it's a lot easier to get to the valves for an adjustment than on the PCX. ;)
Man!, it is deaddam simple to do the valves on a LIKE200I!
My dealer wanted $380 for that first 600 mile servicing....."takes hours to get down through all that plastic!"
I was there in 20 mins...and had never seen a scooter up close before that week. All serv has been DIY, since then.
Yep seat made huge improvement, I stopped shopping shocks after completing the seat rebuild.
Fish
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Nothing stops Wildflowers from growing, hence the name Wild Flower(s) :P
They did the same in Florida in the roads median. They were gorgeous, as shown above.
Still lovin' the Like!! Very nice photos (as usual ;) fish
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Nothing stops Wildflowers from growing, hence the name Wild Flower(s) :P
They did the same in Florida in the roads median. They were gorgeous, as shown above.
Still lovin' the Like!! Very nice photos (as usual ;) fish

Why do they do it though? Even you lot wouldn't do it just to get rid of excess unrecoverable hydrocarbons, just because you can. Petrols cheap and it makes wild flowers grow :lol:

Fire barriers?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Why? hang in there 2yous I'll "try" to keep it short (friggin' joke that is) :D
In Florida twas known as a Prescribed burn a/k/a Controlled burn. Ordered and done by our county to help control fires. To prevent the spreading of an existing fire should there be one in a nearby town/city. In our case, the forest was on one side of the road. Across to the other side were residential properties on sizeable wooded lots. A fire would be devastating coming across that road. So the median was burned ahead of possible oncoming/incoming fires. All preventative.

Or maybe, just maybe they wanted to purify the median land for a better crop of wildflowers the next season. Ya know, other stuff grew along in there too. Plus garbage tossed by slobs in cars (sorry I just had to say slob because it angers me so), and remains of dead animals, feces and, and... Eww....should I go on?

How about I wrap that up by sayin' that a burn served it's purpose for both reasons stated :ugeek: Gosh, so serious WN :lol: Glad they don't Burn where I am now cause baby, it Sta-inks! and yer throat? SheBURNS!

What say you fish? Why the burn?
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Why a prairie is burned....
The burned landscape looks bleak, covered with black ash, and completely dead. While burning a landscape until it looks like a wasteland may seem counterproductive to the promotion of a healthy ecosystem, it is essential for a successful prairie for a number of reasons and has several benefits including:

Burning removes old growth and thatch which allows the sunlight and wind to warm the soil surface more readily. The black ash resulting from the fire absorbs the sun's energy during the day and insulates the soil against heat loss at night. This warmed soil speeds up the development of underground shoots. Once the shoots reach above-ground they receive full sunlight, providing them the energy for growth. In addition, moisture can reach the plants more readily after a fire since dead standing material intercepts and absorbs a great deal of moisture.

Burning helps prevent the spread of invasive and woody plant species. Plants that are native to the prairie have adapted to survive and even thrive with fire, whereas invasive and woody species are destroyed by fire.

Controlled burning helps to promote the germination of dormant seeds. The warmer soils resulting from a fire is often what is needed for a dormant seed to germinate.

Burning helps to return nutrients to the soil. The vegetative matter contains many nutrients which are returned to the soil after a fire and then become available for new plant growth.

Since burning enhances native prairie plant communities, including the foraging and nesting opportunities, it also enhances wildlife habitat.

There is a sign near this prairie that explains why they do the burn. Behind you, as you face the prairie and read the sign....is a nasty wooded growth of junk trees and underbrush. The sign explains, if they didn't do the burn the prairie would become like that.

God does the same thing, for the same reasons. Lightening.

Fish
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh....MyGod! You're even More serious than I :lol:
Alrighty then, question answered.
Seriously, I appreciate the insightful info, learning is always good ;)

Yer right fish, God does have His Own clean-up committee. More and more of "that" going on....All over the Globe!
Strive to Have Fun Peeps and Enjoy!

-----> Now, where's 2yous? :roll: C'mon fella! I'm waiting (me foot taps).
Okay I'll start. "The S_ _
:lol: :o