sorry about that !

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

sorry about that !

Post by fish »

Had no idea that the PCX rear shocks were not adjustable.
A pricey little scooter not to have such a basic feature found on so many lesser scoots.
Owners looking aftermarket to deal with bottoming, etc., seems reasonable. Scooter must have a light weight capacity.....which is probably not good news for a lot of Americans.
Not uncommon for folks to buy a scooter and then set about trying to fix it.
I stand, corrected. Again.
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: sorry about that !

Post by Mel46 »

Unfortunately there are a lot of things that the little PCX does not come with, but since the major sales for this little scooter is not the good old USA it seems to take a very long time for Honda to listen to us. Look how many years it took for them to finally put LED lights on it, and the new turn signals look a whole lot better than the ones on the pre-2015 do. Maybe the 200cc version of the PCX will have adjustable shocks and rear disc brakes.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

S-all Right fish ;) You may remember this or...maybe not.
for you:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

Mel46 wrote:Unfortunately there are a lot of things that the little PCX does not come with, but since the major sales for this little scooter is not the good old USA it seems to take a very long time for Honda to listen to us. Look how many years it took for them to finally put LED lights on it, and the new turn signals look a whole lot better than the ones on the pre-2015 do. Maybe the 200cc version of the PCX will have adjustable shocks and rear disc brakes.
Yeah, I get the feeling that importing the PCX was a pure business decision to pick up additional sales from an existing design. Would they sell enough of them to recoup the costs of importing? By enough to make it worth the effort? If so, import it. But we're not a big enough market, I think, to warrant them making design changes just for our market. (as Honda does with some of its cars)

If they did, we would get heavier shock springs and maybe thicker shock oil. I have a feeling that thicker shock oil alone would fix the issues for most of it. The Japanese cycle mfrs. tend to put the cheapest oil in there. On my SV650, the fork oil was like water, and it bottomed pretty easily. A common mod was to put 15 W shock oil in, and it was a whole new bike. This is unforgivable, in my opinion, as even lighter riders benefit from proper compression damping. But that's what happens when bikes are built to a price point. if they're selling well, they won't fix it. If they can get away with not fixing it and making as much money, they will.

Here in this forum, we are the enthusiast market, and in the US, we are the minority market. So two strikes against us, hehehe.

Money talks!

Also, we used scooter buyers have ZERO say with Honda; we don't even get a survey from them and they only make parts money from us.
-Jeremy
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

I can't see a need for them to be adjustable; the existing suspension is designed around the 180kg maximum rider payload - any more than that and it exceeds the max load capacity of the rear tyre, which is dangerous.

If folks are having issues with suspension bottoming out then the PCX probably isn't the right tool for the job for them.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Yeah, both of these rascals have adjustable rear shocks, standard.

Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well, that says something in and of itself! If other manufacturers saw a need for adjustable shocks too, then maybe Honda should have been taking a note from them. It doesn't really matter what you weigh if you hit a pothole and it causes the scooter to bottom out. There are some pot holes that can pop tires on a car, so imagine what they can do to a little scooter. Even if your scooter does not hit that particular pot hole, it would be nice to have a somewhat smooth ride. If I wanted to ride through holes I would get a dirt bike. If I wanted a rough ride in a car I would buy a Jeep. I prefer having my ride smoothed out by good shocks.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers