Sad but perhaps the truth...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Sad but perhaps the truth...

Post by homie »

I'm going to put this out there after being around here for a while now. This is not just Honda failing us either i'm sure. I DO NOT believe Honda is properly completing the service manual procedures at dealerships in ANY country. I NEVER thought they did a valve clearance check at 600 or 2500 miles and probably not at any service interval, yet they may charge for it. If you've watched me do these scheduled services on my youtube channel you would see the effort it takes 'step by step' per the SM and also the 5k service procedure is posted as well. I promise you they do not do it per the SM if people can drive away with low coolant. Dealerships simply fix things as they break so preventive maintenance serves for little profit.

This brings us to where we are as buyers and riders. NO ONE is taking proper care of your motor bike unless you are and this depends considerably on your skill level. You cannot rest assured ANYTHING but the VERY limited warranty is secure by paying the dealership service fees. Buying a used bike is off the table for me in the future as they ARE being neglected. The PCX deal of the day thread is not a deal at all for anything less than a couple years old, unless you want to buy for parts. No longer posting any older bikes as deals.

Recommended recourse:
Buy new bikes, unless you can tear down used bikes and properly turn every nut and bolt yourself like the forum owner can. Ride these new bikes and trade them in before they get too old because they've been neglected by the dealership IMO.

Good luck! You really can't best the consumer disposable world unless you're a capable 'do it yourself' motorbike mechanic.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Sad but perhaps the truth...

Post by fish »

Another alternative is to factor in servicing schedules and difficulties when comparison shopping a new scooter purchase.
If routine maintenance is going to be enough of a pain to give you doubts.....strike that scoot off the list of possibles and move on. There are plenty of fine scooters in all categories.

Or, or - buy a pretty scooter, live noisily with its maintenance shortcomings, and envy those who have an easily serviced scooter.
Fish
PS: experienced scooter mechanics will tell you that there is little need to worry about valve lash on modern engines, unless it becomes hard to start, or displays other symptoms. If you request a valve check - they will do it, and charge you accordingly.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

fish wrote: If you request a valve check - they will do it, and charge you accordingly.
Agreed with all you replied. Just don't let them charge you for it if they are not doing it. Trust but verify at the very least the simple stuff. Know your machine as best you can and don't buy motorcycles that don't have a forum following because without that and no service manual or mechanical skill.... Mercy!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I know that there are some dealers out there that really do care about your bike. I use to take mine to a local dealer that did not seem to be doing much of anything to my bike when it was in for service. In fact, when I would bring it home after the supposed servicing I would have to take the panels off and readjust them. Half of the time they didn't fasten them correctly, or the screws were missing.
Well, I became fed up with this type of non-service and took my bike to a dealer 34 miles away. His service department was great. They let us watch as they took the bike apart and checked the valves, oil, etc. Once they finished with everything, they washed the bike! They test rode it before handing it off to us too. They were also the ones who worked on the clutch bearing, and when everything was on back order from Honda they called all over this nation to find the parts to rebuild it themselves.
So yes, there are still dealers that care. You may have to hunt for them though, because money is a driving factor and many of the smaller dealers believe in doing their best but don't make a lot from servicing, but the bigger dealers don't care as long as the bottom line isn't affected, so they do as little as possible.
As for the PCX, many of those owners care enough about their bike that they do their own servicing or they recheck the work done by the dealer. Yes, there will be those who just ride and could care less about servicing g them, but that isn't the norm from what I can see.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I agree totally.. If you think its bad in the scooter world you should see the outboard motor industry. That will really make you cry.
Warranty or not, I generally do my own work unless parts are involved and are expensive. Time is money dragging it to the shop waiting around etc etc for something I can do myself at home makes no sense to me . For me its a no brainer, I know its done right when I do it . Free isn't always free.. Dealers always find a way to get something out of you.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:Yes, there will be those who just ride and could care less about servicing g them, but that isn't the norm from what I can see.
Agreed Mel, I would buy one of your scoots used ;) I think the SCOOTERS get the bums rush at the dealers in general. They probably cringe everytime one comes in for service as the other inventory surely must be easier to get at.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by eggman »

i wonder if tey realy replaced my clutch bearing 5 k miles ago
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

eggman wrote:i wonder if they really replaced my clutch bearing 5k miles ago
Well don't let it bug you eggman. You found the forum and you've been learning how to tool your own scoot :D Good for you sir! My dad had a scooter in the end and when it finally failed that was it, he was done and died shortly after. He didn't want to be a burden on anyone and realized he was beyond driving a car because of pacemaker going off now and then. I admired him for seeing the problem and coming up with a solution for transportation independence. It was hard in the winter for him but he did it and I often wonder if he could have tooled his own scooter and it ran a little longer would he have too. Freedom is really important to 82 year old man. I decided to buy a new PCX and learn everything I could about it now, because I might not be able to afford new ones down in the sunshine state as easily as I could today. Scooters might cost us plenty when I'm 82 :D
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

Mel46 wrote:I know that there are some dealers out there that really do care about your bike. I use to take mine to a local dealer that did not seem to be doing much of anything to my bike when it was in for service. In fact, when I would bring it home after the supposed servicing I would have to take the panels off and readjust them. Half of the time they didn't fasten them correctly, or the screws were missing.
Well, I became fed up with this type of non-service and took my bike to a dealer 34 miles away. His service department was great. They let us watch as they took the bike apart and checked the valves, oil, etc. Once they finished with everything, they washed the bike! They test rode it before handing it off to us too. They were also the ones who worked on the clutch bearing, and when everything was on back order from Honda they called all over this nation to find the parts to rebuild it themselves.
So yes, there are still dealers that care. You may have to hunt for them though, because money is a driving factor and many of the smaller dealers believe in doing their best but don't make a lot from servicing, but the bigger dealers don't care as long as the bottom line isn't affected, so they do as little as possible.
As for the PCX, many of those owners care enough about their bike that they do their own servicing or they recheck the work done by the dealer. Yes, there will be those who just ride and could care less about servicing g them, but that isn't the norm from what I can see.
Mel can you tell me the name of that good dealer. Thanks
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by eggman »

homie wrote:
eggman wrote:i wonder if they really replaced my clutch bearing 5k miles ago
Well don't let it bug you eggman. You found the forum and you've been learning how to tool your own scoot :D Good for you sir! My dad had a scooter in the end and when it finally failed that was it, he was done and died shortly after. He didn't want to be a burden on anyone and realized he was beyond driving a car because of pacemaker going off now and then. I admired him for seeing the problem and coming up with a solution for transportation independence. It was hard in the winter for him but he did it and I often wonder if he could have tooled his own scooter and it ran a little longer would he have too. Freedom is really important to 82 year old man. I decided to buy a new PCX and learn everything I could about it now, because I might not be able to afford new ones down in the sunshine state as easily as I could today. Scooters might cost us plenty when I'm 82 :D
im sorrry for ya lost
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Recommended recourse:
Buy new bikes, unless you can tear down used bikes and properly turn every nut and bolt yourself like the forum owner can. Ride these new bikes and trade them in before they get too old because they've been neglected by the dealership IMO.

Good luck! You really can't best the consumer disposable world unless you're a capable 'do it yourself' motorbike mechanic.
Homie - don't let it get you down. At the end of the day nobody will look out for oneself as well as oneself. When things get beyond our skills or toolbox then we have to submit to the resources available to get us back on the road. That's where trust, value, and reputation play a major role. Nobody likes spending their hard earned money and then getting screwed. . .hence the "informed decision" reigns supreme. Enter the PCX Forum. . .. ;)

And then there are those places that preach the philosophy of "This ain't Burger King, you get it my way or you don't get the SOB". :x

And the customer replies. . ."But that's not what I want" . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdIXrF34Bz0 :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

ItBeMe wrote: Mel can you tell me the name of that good dealer. Thanks
:lol:
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Let's just learn to do the basic maintenance, the PCX is a tough machine and probably gonna last longer than we're expecting it too.

Besides, tinkering is part of the fun. No?

that's why forum like these are great, we learn from the whisperers.

Gotta find that Paypal button when the next check comes in.

Does Homie get a comm here somehow for his videos? :D
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

alx123 wrote:Let's just learn to do the basic maintenance, the PCX is a tough machine and probably gonna last longer than we're expecting it too.
This is good a good attitude, no commision for sharing information. Send your donations to the forum owner anytime, I'm sure he likes to break even now and then.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That dealer I have been going to was recently bought out, so I hope the service stays the same. The entire staff was great.
For ItBeMe, the dealer's name in Cycle Nation of Canton. They had some nice used and new cycles there too. When I traded in my Burgman 400 there, they gave me a fair value for it and sold it within days of my trade-in for not much more than what they gave me for trade-in. The individual who purchased it got an outstanding deal. It had new Michelin City Grips on it, a new Givi windshield and tailbox, and extra LED lights on the back so that those behind could see that it was stopping. It had just had its oil changed too.
Not only had I been taking good care of it myself, Cycle Nation took good care of it too.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Nobody likes to see a good "Dealership" close down. Makes you wonder where the staff is going to go after that to get a job. :(

The Vespa/Genuine/Sym/Kymco dealer where I bought my Genuine Roughhouse closed down about a year after I bought it. Nice people too. A Dentist owned the business and tried to make a go of it. He would deliver a new scooter to a customer anywhere in our state for free. . .didn't make any difference how far away you lived from the business. :)

Now there is only one remaining Vespa dealer in CT. :geek:
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

THANKS Mel
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!