Only Getting About 55MPH WOT into Head Wind

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Only Getting About 55MPH WOT into Head Wind

Post by PCX150Rider »

So with just over 500 miles on my new PCX I'm attempting to reach into the higher speed range to see how it performs. It's been windy almost every day around where I live and I've only been able to get around 55 MPH out of it tops. . .WOT. . .with a good half mile run. I could stand to shed a few pounds but does that seem unusual considering the windy conditions or should it top 60 MPH as long as the road is flat? It could be that the motor is still a bit tight. My intent is not to cruise over 55 MPH for extended periods. . .just to surge the throttle to see what it will do and break it in gradually. Other than that the thing is running great in all areas. Brakes, fuel economy, engine start up and reliability, are all good. :geek:
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Only Getting About 55MPH WOT into Head Wind

Post by homie »

I forget what your history is with the bike so far. You were last doing an owners manual break-in on a fully stock 2017 PCX? Nursing it on take offs and keeping the speed down for 300 miles? Then you've been getting on it wide open throttle for a couple hundred miles now right? You can't get the standard 64 mph currently on an open flat with winds less than 5? What's your top speed on a grade when the limiter kicks in? Time to get some stats.

Has something changed on 2017's like what happened in 2015 when the stock PCX slowed considerable to 64mph. I hope this is just a 350 lb rider or it's a good reason to study mototunes hard break-in proceedure. Might be doing a compression check on your scoot to get some facts or research on any gearing changes like what we saw in 2015 when a tooth was removed from the final drive.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (160.97 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just wait for a calm day to get your top speed bench mark. My scoot has a NCY variator kip that gives it taller gearing and while my PCX is gear limited to 74 MPH it will only do 65 MPH on a calm day and flat road. The lost of speed due to head wind will be proportional to the speed of the headwind. My scoot has slowed down to 45 MPH due to strong headwinds. Also, the stock 2017 PCX has a top speed of 64 MPH.

A friend of mine noted that his replacement Honda Grom's engine felt sluggish the first 2,000 miles. It only felt as powerful as the old engine after 2,000 miles. By that metric you have about 1,500 miles of break in miles to go.

Don't worry just ride.
Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

where did you guys get this info that stock 2015-2017 Pcx can only reach 64 mph?

I can make my PCX 2016 run around 71 mph WOT on long stretches. Easiest to reach is 68 mph and then climb itself slowly to 71mph.

It's probably more on how much you guys there weigh and not the engine's limiter that is kicking in? Unless my speedo is faulty..

I'm only 145 lbs approx btw.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

alx123 wrote:where did you guys get that stock 2015-2017 Pcx can only reach 64 mph?

I can make my PCX 2016 run around 71 mph WOT on long stretches. Easiest to reach is 68 mph and then climb itself slowly to 71mph.

It's probably more on how much you guys there weigh and not the engine's limiter that is kicking in? Unless my speedo is faulty..

Good to know, I was under the impression that they could only do 64 mph on a flat road with no wind.
I'm 5'8" tall and weigh 180 lbs. I'm sure that weight matters, but only going uphill. Your height and shoulder width might have more effect on the scoots top speed. Also Windscreens help with top speed by reducing aerodynamic drag.

Gil
Last edited by Gil on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

alx123 wrote:where did you guys get that stock 2015-2017 Pcx can only reach 64 mph?

I can easily make my PCX 2016 run around 71 mph WOT on long stretches. Easiest to reach is 68 mph and then climb itself slowly to 71mph.

Then nothing's changed mechanically with 2017's. So you are 145 lbs :lol: I would take his bike and ride the crap out of it from now on. WOT on every launch, pull the plug and check the compression for 159 psi. I bet it's fine too so something else is up.
Last edited by homie on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Gil wrote:

Good to know, I was under the impression that they could only do 64 mph on a flat road with no wind.

Gil
unless Thai PCX speedo, which is in kms, is inaccurate..I'm gonna find a way to GPs check this one of these days
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

homie wrote:

I can easily make my PCX 2016 run around 71 mph WOT on long stretches. Easiest to reach is 68 mph and then climb itself slowly to 71mph.

Then nothing's changed mechanically with 2017's. So you are 145 lbs :lol: I would take his bike and ride the crap out of it from now on. WOT on every launch, pull the plug and check the compression for 159 psi. I bet it's fine too so something else is up.
145, considered small even for an Asian. LOL
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

alx123 wrote:
Gil wrote:

Gil
unless Thai PCX speedo, which is in kms, is inaccurate..I'm gonna find a way to GPs check this one of these days

I doubt that the speedo is inaccurate, as my PCX has one of the most accurate motorcycle speedometer than all the other scoots and bikes that I have owned.

Gil
ImageImage
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

alx123 wrote:unless Thai PCX speedo, which is in kms, is inaccurate..I'm gonna find a way to GPs check this one of these days
Use your phone, there are lots of free apps to clock your speed accurately. Look close and you can see the speed on my phone. I'm 180+lbs and this was down hill winds less than 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS4vpDdGUsw
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

The same hill, the same equipment, the same winds less than 10mph. Gear just hadn't broke in completely. These belts and rollers get better and better in the first 4K and peak performances are seen. Then they slowly degrade in speed I think, I'm not there yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EQ6MHoIYAo
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

@homie

I will try thanks.

In the video I did reached 110kph (68mph) here, but then i needed to release the throttle as i am approaching a junction.

If i hold on to it a little longer it will slowly crawl to 71.

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

alx123 wrote:@homie
I will try thanks.
In the video I did reached 110kph (68mph) here, but then i needed to release the throttle as i am approaching a junction.
You are good man (very fast white) 8) how many miles on that 16? I believe you have reached peak performance and break-in on your drive train. Do you recall your initial engine break-in period after purchase or did you just blow out balls to the wall from day one? <-- very important you answer honestly here please
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

homie wrote:
alx123 wrote:@homie
I will try thanks.
You are good man (very fast white) 8) how many miles on that 16? I believe you have reached peak performance and break-in on your drive train. Do you recall your initial engine break-in period after purchase or did you just blow out balls to the wall from day one? <-- very important you answer honestly here please
That video was taken January of this year. I realized I could pause the video in and checked the odo, it shows 5159 kms (3205 miles) during that time.

I've doubled that mileage now.

I didn't break it in deliberately, nor soft nor hard. I just rode it like how am I supposed to use it. Probably haven't done any WOT at first month though as I am adjusting to Bangkok's riding style.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

PCX150Rider wrote:So with just over 500 miles on my new PCX I'm attempting to reach into the higher speed range to see how it performs. It's been windy almost every day around where I live and I've only been able to get around 55 MPH out of it tops. . .WOT. . .with a good half mile run. I could stand to shed a few pounds but does that seem unusual considering the windy conditions or should it top 60 MPH as long as the road is flat? It could be that the motor is still a bit tight. My intent is not to cruise over 55 MPH for extended periods. . .just to surge the throttle to see what it will do and break it in gradually. Other than that the thing is running great in all areas. Brakes, fuel economy, engine start up and reliability, are all good. :geek:
I'm sorry I think Iv'e hijacked your thread. :oops:

Anyway, at 500 miles I wouldn't worry about it too much. I believe the wind is a big factor if your'e going against it.

I never did the usual break in, I just rode it like how I'm supposed to. It's a Honda, it won't break if you run it a little harder.

Besides, the earlier you'll see the problems(if there is) the better since your warranty will still be fresh.
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

alx123 wrote:where did you guys get this info that stock 2015-2017 Pcx can only reach 64 mph?

Yeah, as I have said before, I reached just past 110kph (68+mph) unintentionally, not WOT. I will do a video some time when I feel like it because I don't like this kind of speed. I am probably one of the lightest at 49kg (108lbs) 5'6".
ImageImageImage
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015

Post by djbass »

When fit PCX150 2015, from Moscow to his home in Gomel, then checked the max speed on the speedometer and on the GPS. So the speedometer is lying exactly 10% compared to GPS. Real speed on GPS I got 105 km/h or 65 mph, while the speedometer was close to 115-120km/h or 72-75 mph. My weight is 70kg, height is 180cm, the road was smooth, without wind and slope, the windshield standard. The PCX mileage at the time of measurement 1000km (625 miles). I think that with high windshield PCX can go a little faster - up to 68-70 mph.
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

Yes djbass, I noticed that too. When I use GPS navigation app Maps.me, it shows about 5-10kmh less than the speedometer. I read most vehicles are like that. I will include speedometer speed, phone GPS speed, and camera GPS speed (overlay) when and if I do the video.
ImageImageImage
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

The first 100 miles I accelerated strongly to give the piston rings a chance to grind into the cylinder wall in order to break in without any lugging and let the bearings ease in as well. Waves of runs from 0 to 30 or 35 MPH. That being said it wasn't sustained speed. It was more about strong handfuls of throttle and then abundant engine braking to let the oil to do it's job. So after about 300 miles I tended to ride it more normally. . .. After that I started pushing into the 45 MPH to 50 MPH range. . .again with handfuls of throttle and then backing off to a 35 MPH or so. Now that I'm just over 500 miles I wanted to give the engine a chance to get used to 55 to 60 MPH. Reaching with the throttle but not cruising at those speeds. :roll:

So I don't know if it's Global Warming or what but it seems like it's windy every day here now. . .I live along the east coast U.S. . . .and without taking it onto an Interstate Highway there are limited places I can push into the 50 MPH range. Since all other aspects of the machine seem to be OK I'm thinking it's a combination of my weight (250ish lbs./18 stone), the wind, and the motor could still be a bit tight. I had a Ninja 750R back in the '80s that ran tight for about 1500 miles and once it started to loosen up it was a real eye-opener. :o

Since I'm so close to doing the first oil change I'll wait until after that to try for 60 MPH and will wait for a calm day. Will post results in a couple of weeks. . .. 8)