Shopping

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Shopping

Post by Smaug »

This is one of the coolest things about owning a scooter; one doesn't mind shooting out just for a few things.

I'm forever buying more than will fit in/on the PCX, but this time, I was prepared:
  • Underseat trunk
  • bungee net over the cupcake seat
  • messenger bag

• 1/2 gal. milk
  • celery bunch
  • Loaf of bread
  • 2 packs of sausages
  • Family pack of lamb chops
  • 5 pears
  • 2 potatoes
  • jar of jam
  • dozen eggs
  • 2 bunches of radishes
  • bag o' cherries
  • jar of prune juice (don't ask)
  • 2 packs of cheese slices
  • 2 packs of lunchmeat
  • jar of soup stock
  • an onion
Not a bad load. No record, even for the US, but not bad either.
-Jeremy
eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Shopping

Post by eggman »

i have a back pack that can fit 2 cases of sodapop
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Good choice on the jam. I buy that imported brand when it's on sale. . .a bit pricey. . .but worth it. Try the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Milk (unsweetened original) some time. You can get different varieties of it . . .. 8)
ItBeMe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Very dark blue

Post by ItBeMe »

Where be da cold beer.
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it!
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

PCX150Rider wrote:Good choice on the jam. I buy that imported brand when it's on sale. . .a bit pricey. . .but worth it. Try the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Milk (unsweetened original) some time. You can get different varieties of it . . .. 8)
I'll keep my eyes peeled!

This is the first time I'll have tried this jam. It's French, and in France, they respect tradition, so I'm hoping this has that old school quality. We don't use that much jam, so I don't mind the price.

eggman wrote: i have a bsck pack that can fit 2 cases of sodapop
That is a SERIOUS backpack!

ItBeMe wrote:Where be da cold beer
I'm not much of a beer drinker these days, I switched to wine about 5 years ago, and it's not so hard to keep the weight off now. The other night though, I went to Trader Joe's and picked up 6 bottles of wine in my backpack.
-Jeremy
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

We travel in the same circles :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Nice Smaug! Saving on petrol too!
It gets a bit toasty in the saddle bin, so nearby shopping is fine. Go the distance and those chops would be near cooked and yummy preserves gone jelly :lol:

So who's toting the fireworks for the 4th of July Par-tay? And the ice?
Tip for those bringing the ice - find and plug seat pan weep hole. Use a large flexable cooler bag (food store sells them) put ice in cooler bag, put in seat bin. At yer destination remove ice from cooler, dump ice in bin and fill with beer, wine n pop. I can do this in my Ridgline truck underbed bin too. It holds PLENTY! And, It's my place to sleep after the party 8)

It's on! Smaug's got the sausage! We're good to go! :D
(Oh yeah, Ya'll remember.... BYO sleepy bag!)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I go shopping on my pcx, I have more than enough room for multiple bags of groceries. I have actually put 4 tall bags in it, and no backpack, though I do have a tunnel bag that I use if I think I will need more storage.
IMG_20170627_122919.jpg
IMG_20170627_122919.jpg (362.91 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
...and I can stop off for coffee and no one will know that I have groceries onboard!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Machine looks good! Starbucks eh? I get their Italian Roast sometimes in the bag already ground. . .actually has a Vespa on the label. :lol:
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

Mel, a tunnel bag may be my next purchase. I've really lit up my credit card since buying the PCX a couple weeks ago:
  • PCX: $2300
  • Helmet: $100
  • Helmet2: $50 (used)
  • tires: $100?
  • Oil, sparkplug, helmet cable, fuse puller: ??
  • Jacket: $120? (incl. waterproof/windproof liner)
  • Rain pants: $40
  • Tire plug kit: $50
  • Smoke shield: $23
  • bungee net: $10?
  • Beadrider: $50
Gotta let it cool off, but I just can't resist that last little bit of useful storage area on the hump.

What's that on your fork? Is that another little storage bag, like the dirtbikers use?

Whitenoise: ...but you're certainly not saving any gas when you take the Ridgeline, but having a place to sleep it off, combined with saving gas with the PCX makes up for it. :)
-Jeremy
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Let me see what I have that you may not be able to see. I have a cup holder on the crossbar, I have a RAM Mount on my brake reservoir that I use for my GPS, I also have a RAM mount on one of the front covers that is useful for the camera, mp3 player, or just about anything else I want to carry, such as my phone.
My back support has a slot for a small 1 gallon gas container, which I carry when we cruise out in the country, where gas stations are few and far between.
I have spot lights on each side of the forks, plus small strobe lights for night time travel. I also added two little 5 LED light pods under the headlights until I get the time and energy to drill out the empty slots in that headlight assembly and install some led lights inside the assembly....and then there are the red LED and stroking tail lights.

I'm not sure there is much more that I need on this scooter.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

Sounds like a lot of hours into that, tapping into power wiring, hehehe.

It might be educational to others if you did kind of an annotated photo walk-around of your PCX.

I saw in other posts you said you had to go back to the incandescent tail light bulb when you added LEDs elsewhere. How have you been adding those elsewhere, just tapping right into a local power wire?
-Jeremy
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

All of the tail lighting comes from the right side in the rear. The includes both left and right turn signals as well as stop light. There is a connector that can be unplugged there and easily spliced into. Some have run hot and ground wires, plus running light wires, off of that connector and did a messy job of wiring all sorts of extra tail lights from those. Then they had to find the turn signal connector and do the same thing with it. Keeping in mind that there is not a lot of room for added wires, what I did was run a single set of hot, running, and ground wires from that connector into a waterproof junction box I installed under the tail box rack, and all of the extra tail lights run from that box. That way, when I take the bike apart, I simply disconnect the needed wires from that box or I disconnect the junction box itself.
The turn signals can be hooked into that box or just hooked in directly to their connector on the right side.
Remember to protect the connection points after you mess with them so that they will still be weather proof.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

Made a run to Costco today. A largish backpack, underseat trunk and bungee net for the rear end of the bike was just the thing:

The payload was:
  • 3 half-gallons of milk
  • A big bag of frozen pot stickers
  • 2 dozen eggs
  • A jar of mixed nuts
  • 2 big tubs of yogurt
  • A bunch of ribs
  • Some lunchmeat
  • Conditioner
  • A fleecy vest
  • 4 pair of pants

Got a bunch of it under the seat. Round things and soft things fit best. Square things like 1/2 gallon milk cartons don't fit worth a damn:

One pair of pants, the eggs, nuts and one tub of yogurt went in the backpack:

The milk and pants were bungeed to the passenger seat/rack:
-Jeremy
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Organic, lactose free, yoghurt, what's going on?

I thought you were the big patio hunter :D

Grrr :lol: :lol:
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

We mighty patio hunters prefer not to ingest chemicals, hormones, preservatives, etc. We like our meat wild, having foraged on natural, whole foods, rather than whatever is cheapest for some farm/factory to feed them.

The yogurt is not lactose free; that's the milk. (yogurt doesn't need it, since it's fermented.)
-Jeremy
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Got the load I see. . .did it make your MPG drop below 100 MPG? :lol:

Nice Hi Viz jacket. o_O

When I get groceries I always try to get in and out of the store as quickly as possible so that some person with poor eye site or poor driving habits doesn't pull into my parking space, knock the scooter over, and then drive away like nothing happened. With the popularity of SUVs in my area they tend to block views. 8)
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

PCX150Rider wrote: When I get groceries I always try to get in and out of the store as quickly as possible so that some person with poor eye site or poor driving habits doesn't pull into my parking space, knock the scooter over, and then drive away like nothing happened. With the popularity of SUVs in my area they tend to block views. 8)
One tip regarding that, in case you haven't thought of it yet. Don't pull forward in your spot. Leave the back of your bike as far back as you can without having to fear it'll be hit by folks just driving by. What you DON'T want is for someone to start pulling into the spot, thinking it's empty, because some little bitty scooter is there, pulled all the way up.
-Jeremy
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

LOL... if you had gone off with them eggs they would have flown in medvac just from the looks of the mess you'd made.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

I normally use a combination of under the seat space (takes either 1 heavy duty tripod + ball head (for photoshoots) or one high performance radio control helicopter and controller + 6 batteries if I'm off to have some fun) (or groceries of course). For the overflow I have a large pack I can wear for loose items - ratchet straps for strapping on bigger items behind me (in the past I've had large printers, computers, Honda EU2.0i generator on there) - then of course there's the Givi box on the back. Sometimes I'll just put a shopping bag over my wrist. My best trick though is transporting a large pizza box - for that I hold it between my knees + supported by the centre panel (the "fun" part is when I have to stop). There's nearly always a way to get stuff on the workhorse - including 1.2m lengths of cavity batten that I use for framing; had an "oops" in that dept once - I'd just been through the store drive through - strapped on my timber - paid for it - but they were too slow to raise the barrier arm so I took the decision to just carefully "shoot the gap" between the end of the arm and the building. I was careful to tilt the bike slightly to ensure I cleared the building and promptly caught the arm with the protruding timber on the other side, which folded like wet spaghetti. Oops. Store dude wasn't very impressed, although his manager was much nicer about it. Queue paperwork. Offered to pay (was covered by my insurance), but I didn't hear back from them. Need to go back there later this week and get more timber. Could be "interesting".