LED Tail Light bulb

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: LED Tail Light bulb

Post by Ishkabibble »

Still hoping to get an answer for this, as I am just about ready to pull the trigger on an LED bulb.

I just need to know which one to get.

I have the current parts manual, the Service manual, and a brand-new Owner's manual, all for the 2013 I have.

None of them give any specific information about the bulb itself, other than to say things like "12v-5w/21w Stanley" which doesn't tell me if it's a single-point base (1156), a dual-point base (1157) or explain what the correct operating conditions have to be in order for it to work properly. There's some electrical mumbo-jumbo, but I don't savvy that kind of talk.

I read in this very thread that Sh3p put a bulb in, (the 1157-x45-T-CAR from Superbrightleds) and it stayed bright, even after he installed a resistor.

I do not understand why it doesn't work, and I don't like things I don't understand. Problem is, when I try to get explanations from people off this board, they explain it to me as if I already understand what they're talking about, and in a way they understand it, not the way I understand it.

So, I'm coming back to this thread, once more, to try to find out what bulb to get, so that my brake lights work as intended: moderately-bright when not braking, and very bright when braking.

I'd like for someone to try to help me get the right bulb.
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I do know that you can add LED light strips to your tail light assembly. However, for me they only worked with the standrd 1157 bulb still in the brake light socket. I have a lot of extra tail lights on both my bike and my wife's bike, and I had a large amunt on my Burgman 400 before I sold it. I have not taken the time to fully investigate the tail light problem, but I do know that additional lights will work fine. I have 5 or 6 LED strips, plus the 'Knight Rider' brake light that moves back and forth while I ride but changes to flashing for 5 or 6 seconds when I grab the brake, and then stays on steady if I keep my hand on the brake. It, along with the various LED lights that either change from low intensity to high, or just come on from not being on at all, make my tail end noticeable. If you do not want to worry about the 1157 at all the connection of the additional lights should not be hard.
Someday I will investigate the 1157 LED problem. It still sits on my workbench.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

Mel,

I ordered a pair of 6" red strips from Oznium, and I'm going to add them as "running/parking" lights. I'm thinking I'll put them right on the edge of the tail-light next to the body panel, but they won't light up with braking. I am finishing up making a vacuum-molder, and I have this idea for a "high mount 3rd" type brake light, and that one will light up (with a 4x flash at the beginning) on braking, and I think I have a good idea which sets of wiring to hook to when I install the strips. Since the high-mount won't be lit up until the brakes come on, all I should need to do is attach to the "active" wire in the brake wiring. I think.

It's that #$&!@ bulb I'm concerned with. Nobody at either Superbright or Oznium was even aware of the "stayed bright" issue, nor could they explain to me why it stayed bright. People off this board explain things like I already should know the answer, which really grinds my gears. At least the folks here will patiently keep trying until a dullard like me will get it.

It ought to be easier than this. LED technology isn't that new that Honda shouldn't have already had them in the lighting. Even the guys in the parts department at my local dealer don't know what kind of relay I should get to stop hyperflash. They kept trying to hard-sell me a replacement stock relay, even after I told them it wouldn't work. So I still don't know what kind of relay to get to change out my turn signals to LED ones. I have plans to add LED strips to some mirrors I have (got them for my PA-50 I had in high school 35 years ago, and they're wide enough that I don't see my own shoulders in them.) and have mirror-mounted high turn signals.

Sigh... I'll figure it out. Someday. I just hope I won't be too old to ride anymore by the time I do!
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
kiapolo1887
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kiapolo1887 »

I bought this LED light and it worked perfectly: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJEGQQ2/ bought from seller JDM ASTAR.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/H06Bo
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by Smaug »

Ishkabibble, you sure do want a lot of hand-holding, for a simple $20 mod, don't you? :-)

in this thread, you have at least 3 people who tried and succeeded with just a basic LED 1157 replacement, but the one guy whom it didn't work for has got you all worried. Doesn't it seem likely to you that he just got a defective one?
-Jeremy
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Jeremy, Ish (as I call him) has not been on the forum's for awhile now. I wish he'd come back.
I mention this because you probably won't get an answer (I wouldn't mind a "Surprise" though ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You