Changing antifreeze and brake fluid

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Changing antifreeze and brake fluid

Post by waybar »

I was just wondering how often everyone changes their brake fluid and radiator coolant. The manual says to replace the radiator coolant every 24000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. And to replace the brake fluid every 12000 miles or 2 years, whichever comes first. Is is necessary to change them every 2 years if we are not close on the miles?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Changing antifreeze and brake fluid

Post by gn2 »

waybar wrote:Is is necessary to change them every 2 years if we are not close on the miles?
Yes.
Both should be changed at the specified interval for optimum performance.
But they will still work reasonably OK if you don't change them.
Coolant has corrosion inhibitors and these stop working as time goes on.
Brake fluid absorbs moisture and this reduces its efficiency.
ABS pumps can be susceptible to damage from old brake fluid, given the price of an ABS pump its maybe worth changing fluid if you have an ABS model.
However, imo its only worth changing the coolant and brake fluid if you intend keeping the scooter for a while.
If you plan to sell after three or four years why bother?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

reviving an old post....due to try change the coolant on my Forza 300... 2.25 yrs and 12000 mls.....reading the manual I am slightly concerned that getting all the old coollant out may be a problem. Any comment on issues should I not get all the old coolant out? If new coolant is say 90% of the total coolant is that a problem ...or OK/acceptable if not perfect?
thanks....and apologies if this reads as a daft question....better safe than sorry.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Gn 2 response is accurate, however given the simplicity and inexpensive cost it is reasonable to change more frequently. I use a once a year interval regardless of miles but like Gn2 says it is probably not necessary as these chemicals are fairly long lasting. No it is not a big deal to leave in some old antifreeze, but you shouldn't have to.Any residual fluid will integrate just fine with the new stuff if its the same specification .Make sure replacement fluid is compatible with aluminum as most good brands are.( No need to specify HONDA brand )
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Getting 100% of the coolant out requires disconnecting the lower rad hose from the pump,
I found. Then giggling the scooter left and right helps (the shop manual procedure is more elaborate, but this short-cut works). Then it is very important to properly bleed the system upon refilling (the bleed bolt is -barely- accessible through a luggage box trap door).

Not a job for the mechanically challenged, even if it looks 'easy' at first glance (manual says 'requires skills').

Same applies to the brake fluid replacement. Very easy apparently, but also very easy to end with a mess.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

That's the same way I did it. I think I did suck out the reservoir with a large syringe type pump , then opened the radiator cap then removed the botton rad hose to drain. I personally found this to require elementary skills and only needed a pliars and I think a 10 mm open end wrench for the bleed screw. Removing the lower panel was easy too and only required a 10 mm socket if memory serves me.
Bleeding the brakes can be messy but not if you take simple precautions Ie catch can , rag, and syringe. I would go for it and it will give you a sense of accomplishment and save 100.00 to boot.. ??
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Thanks for the constructive comments. Was at Honda dealer in Glasgow today...
Forza in for the last recall work....
and got some ready made Honda coolant..so will give it a go...mechanic I spoke to said advisable to get all coolant out but not essential. Got the impression that they don't get it all out!
Changed the brake fluid 6 months ago myself and didn't find that over difficult.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Coolant hit the low mark at 5k for my new PCX, that took me less than two years accomplish. Don't know about Forza engine but at the very least check and top off the coolant for sure.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Here is a method that I developed for flushing the brake fluid. Now, my method albeit a little elaborate but all you have to do is open caliper bleeder let it gravity feed into a catch can. Make sure the master does not go empty.. and never pump the brakes..just let it drain for awhile..

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvV-j2ZMUDvrnn_6VsSuWQmwIgvq
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

easyrider: Link doesn't work for me. Can you post on youtube?
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Antifreeze. It'll just be fine as long as it's topped up to the correct levels and the temperatures aren't at either end of the spectrum extreme.

Brake fluid will be fine too. If it gets dark, not discoloured then change it straightaway. If you maintain your bike regularly. Then an easy thing to do is use a syringe to change the master cylinder fluid. Change it again when it gets discoloured. This will have the QWERTY mechanics springing to the keyboard but it works in the real world.
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

you you wrote:Antifreeze. It'll just be fine as long as it's topped up to the correct levels and the temperatures aren't at either end of the spectrum extreme.

Brake fluid will be fine too. If it gets dark, not discoloured then change it straightaway. If you maintain your bike regularly. Then an easy thing to do is use a syringe to change the master cylinder fluid. Change it again when it gets discoloured. This will have the QWERTY mechanics springing to the keyboard but it works in the real world.
Yes, syringe is the way. First, to empty the master cyl., then to push back new fluid through
the caliper's bleed bolt...and repeat till the fluid in the master looks 'good'. I go slooow,
cuz paint HATES brake fluid...
enry06
Year: 2012
Color: matt black

Post by enry06 »

hi guys, quite in need to remove the abs pump to change the front stay on a 2016 reg and wondering about the right procedure with the oil etc...can anyone suggest where to find the service manual?
Honda PCX125 matt black
Honda CBR600RR HRC
Honda Forza NSS300 Black
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

enry06 wrote:hi guys, quite in need to remove the abs pump to change the front stay on a 2016 reg and wondering about the right procedure with the oil etc...can anyone suggest where to find the service manual?

Don’t use oil. Use brake fluid and go from there.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Whether it be my truck, wife’s car, PCX whatever - I get the engine hot and with the engine still hot - use a siphon to remove the antifreeze from the overflow tank and replace with ‘new’ to the ‘max’ overflow level every time I do an oil change. The fluid coming out always looks good, but I still refill with new.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

springer1 wrote:Whether it be my truck, wife’s car, PCX whatever - I get the engine hot and with the engine still hot - use a siphon to remove the antifreeze from the overflow tank and replace with ‘new’ to the ‘max’ overflow level every time I do an oil change. The fluid coming out always looks good, but I still refill with new.

:) :)

That’s what I do with brake fluid. It’s like a poor mans fluid change. Seems to work.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

106,000 km and still the same anti-freeze & brake fluid.

I did add one ounce to the rear (left) reservoir the other day.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

easyrider wrote:yes..here it is
https://youtu.be/uLyHv6C7TEA
Use proper #2 JIS screwdriver on the 2 reservoir screws. Otherwise pretty good odds you'll strip the heads of those little screws.
Won't comment on your utoob.
Fish
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

davenowherejones wrote:106,000 km and still the same anti-freeze & brake fluid.

I did add one ounce to the rear (left) reservoir the other day.
That's a sign that the rear brake pads are wearing out as they don't last long on the Forza.