Malossi rear shocks (twins!)

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Malossi rear shocks (twins!)

Post by MBMyer »

Well, last Sunday I swapped out the stock rear shocks for a set of Malossi shocks. It took very few minutes (despite going ahead and removing the lower rear body piece (two screws, three tabs).

With the stock shocks, I was preloading at the 4th tab but still bottoming out over speed bumps. With the Malossi shocks, I am currently riding at the second stop on the shocks and may drop down to the lowest detente. The ride feels much better, I have yet to bottom out over any of the nasty speed bumps that are part of my life, and do not hear the squeak that was so, so common with the stock shocks.

Also, the preload adjuster is up at the top of the shocks and very easy to turn with a gloved hand. The stock shocks have the adjuster down low, and I found it very awkward to adjust them, even with a pin wrench.

Now I just have to find some suitable fix for the front forks, which feel horrible on the last 1/5 mile of the road into work, which is spalling in a very nasty fashion.
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Re: Malossi rear shocks (twins!)

Post by davenowherejones »

I have a 2014 Forza with 24,000 kilometres on it. I weigh about 200 pounds fully geared up.

I am trying to decide where to adjust the stock shocks.

Yes it is kind of awkward to get at that adjuster. Mine was full of mud and hard to turn. I put a big wrench in the spring and relieved the pressure by prying the wrench to sit on top of the tire. Easier to turn with no pressure on the adjuster.

But where should it be set?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I tried the stock shock at full hard and then full soft. The Forza seems to handle the same either way but the soft was easier on the spine.

Do the Malossi make the Forza corner any better? Or is it just a comfort thing to use them?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MBMyer wrote:Well, last Sunday I swapped out the stock rear shocks for a set of Malossi shocks. It took very few minutes (despite going ahead and removing the lower rear body piece (two screws, three tabs).

With the stock shocks, I was preloading at the 4th tab but still bottoming out over speed bumps. With the Malossi shocks, I am currently riding at the second stop on the shocks and may drop down to the lowest detente. The ride feels much better, I have yet to bottom out over any of the nasty speed bumps that are part of my life, and do not hear the squeak that was so, so common with the stock shocks.

Also, the preload adjuster is up at the top of the shocks and very easy to turn with a gloved hand. The stock shocks have the adjuster down low, and I found it very awkward to adjust them, even with a pin wrench.

Now I just have to find some suitable fix for the front forks, which feel horrible on the last 1/5 mile of the road into work, which is spalling in a very nasty fashion.
Trying a heavier fork oil is always worth a first punt
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

davenowherejones wrote:Do the Malossi make the Forza corner any better? Or is it just a comfort thing to use them?
I have no firm data, but seat-of-the-pants impression (ha!) is that these are a great improvement. Riding one-up on the stock shocks, I was most comfortable at the middle preload setting. Most of the year, I was commuting with myself (200 lbs) and a skinny teenager (125 lbs) my one school bag, his backpack and computer briefcase. Under those conditions, I had to have the stock shocks at least at the next-to-stiffest preload, and was happiest at stiffest. Even so, going over the speed bumps in the parking lot (and often over the spalled asphalt leading to our school's gate) the rear shocks squeaked a lot and often bottomed out.

On the Malossis, I am running one-up at the lowest preload. When I put the wife on the pillion (somewhere between the skinny teen's 125 and my portly 200), I put the preload in the middle position (3 of 5). They have never bottomed out, but don't feel horribly stiff. The back end feels better and smoother. I feel more confident.

Sorry it's just anecdotal but not hard data. It's the best I can do.
6 other previous bikes
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

you you wrote:Trying a heavier fork oil is always worth a first punt
Even if it feels like the front end is rattling in an excessively hard fashion? I feel like what I want is a softer ride overall with a stiffer preload and better rebound damping.
6 other previous bikes
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

MBMyer wrote:
you you wrote:Trying a heavier fork oil is always worth a first punt
Even if it feels like the front end is rattling in an excessively hard fashion? I feel like what I want is a softer ride overall with a stiffer preload and better rebound damping.

I had the dealer look at my front forks 15,000 km ago. They put in a plastic spacer and increased the oil weight. It does not seem to bottom out as bad as it used to.

I recently changed the rear from full hard to full soft. It seems to handle the little bumps smoother now. The big bumps before used to scare me. The bike was never out of control but my PERCEPTION was that it was dangerous so I slowed down dramatically.

Our roads are far from perfect, the cold in Canada does nasty things to asphalt.
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

For Christmas this year, I bought myself a pair of Malossi shocks for my Forza. $250 on eBay. I waited til I had about 300 miles on them before giving my spin on these.
I would buy them again in a heartbeat. There really is no difference on monster rim bending Wisconsin potholes but where they really shine is those abrupt expansion cracks. With the stock shocks those cracks were murder on my backbone. Now I just glide right over them my back does not complain.

Not the kind of guy to spread bullcrap. If I thought these Malossi shocks were crap I would be the first to say so. And eat my $250 as a bad buying decision. I can't say that. These shocks work for me. Middle preload setting and I go 210#.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Ole wrote:For Christmas this year, I bought myself a pair of Malossi shocks for my Forza. $250 on eBay. I waited til I had about 300 miles on them before giving my spin on these.
I would buy them again in a heartbeat. There really is no difference on monster rim bending Wisconsin potholes but where they really shine is those abrupt expansion cracks. With the stock shocks those cracks were murder on my backbone. Now I just glide right over them my back does not complain.

Not the kind of guy to spread bullcrap. If I thought these Malossi shocks were crap I would be the first to say so. And eat my $250 as a bad buying decision. I can't say that. These shocks work for me. Middle preload setting and I go 210#.
Specifics on the shocks please...and a photo?
Thanks for honest sounding appraisal!
Fish
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

$249 Scooterpartsco.com

I've been tinkering around on the pre load. But I always seem to go back to middle position.
They adjust on top and one doesn't need a tool. Just strong hands.
Did not use torque wrench to install. Just a tiny drop of Locktite and sunk em down tight.
Maybe 10 minutes top to get the job done.
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

OK, I posted a query in another thread, but wanted to give a heads-up here.

After only about a year of service, my Malossi shocks are weeping oil. I’ll try to post a couple of pictures in a little bit. To my mind, this is unacceptable.

I do not want to put my stock shocks back on, and am hoping to hear about longevity of YSS shocks for the Forza 300.

Michael
6 other previous bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MBMyer wrote:OK, I posted a query in another thread, but wanted to give a heads-up here.

After only about a year of service, my Malossi shocks are weeping oil. I’ll try to post a couple of pictures in a little bit. To my mind, this is unacceptable.

I do not want to put my stock shocks back on, and am hoping to hear about longevity of YSS shocks for the Forza 300.

Michael
What warranty do you have on them?

Are they re-buildable?
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

you you wrote:What warranty do you have on them?

Are they re-buildable?
I have no idea what warranty I have on them, nor whether they are rebuildable. I want to bolt parts like these on and then forget about them. I ride this bike nearly every single day and don’t have time to be dealing with failure.

The ride has been significantly better, so much so that I'm willing to keep washing the oil off until a different set of shocks get here rather than put the stock shocks back on. But if I hear that the YSS work well over quite a few years and miles, I’ll order a set of those and dump the Malossis.
6 other previous bikes
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

Here are pix of top and bottom on one side. The other side looks about the same.

IMG_2457.JPG
IMG_2457.JPG (441.76 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
IMG_2456.JPG
IMG_2456.JPG (431.94 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
6 other previous bikes
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

I had the malossi shocks put on my scooter before the beginning of riding season last year, so far no weeping oil. Keeping fingers crossed. Happy with them so far.
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

Oh, and it only just now occurred to my fatigued and aging mind that what might be more helpful than months of service is miles of service.

These weeping shocks have ~3500 miles (~5600 km) on them.
6 other previous bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MBMyer wrote:
you you wrote:What warranty do you have on them?

Are they re-buildable?
I have no idea what warranty I have on them, nor whether they are rebuildable. I want to bolt parts like these on and then forget about them. I ride this bike nearly every single day and don’t have time to be dealing with failure.

In that case, next time, it might be better to check? Aftermarket parts are rarely as reliable as OEM.
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MBMyer »

you you wrote:In that case, next time, it might be better to check? Aftermarket parts are rarely as reliable as OEM.
I have found that, often, aftermarket is better and more reliable than OEM. I lost track of the number of microswitches that were changed out under warranty on the Wing, and both sets of hand controls were replaced for broken internal switches. After the bike went out of warranty, when something died, I changed it my own self and used aftermarket. Not a single one of the electrical components I replaced with aftermarket died. And the aftermarket suspension components were far superior to OEM. In fact, the OEM rear came without having air bled out. Taking care of that was a delightful afternoon.

As far as checking before I buy, that’s kind of what discussion boards like this one are for. I read everything I could about the Malossis and the YSS, saw equally good comments about both, and went with the cleaner look of the Malossi shocks. Performance has been much, much better than stock, but both shocks are weeping oil, which I had not seen any comments about. And so I’m commenting about my experience with them after relatively few months and miles.

Pax et bonum,
Michael
6 other previous bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MBMyer wrote:
you you wrote:In that case, next time, it might be better to check? Aftermarket parts are rarely as reliable as OEM.
I have found that, often, aftermarket is better and more reliable than OEM. I lost track of the number of microswitches that were changed out under warranty on the Wing, and both sets of hand controls were replaced for broken internal switches. After the bike went out of warranty, when something died, I changed it my own self and used aftermarket. Not a single one of the electrical components I replaced with aftermarket died. And the aftermarket suspension components were far superior to OEM. In fact, the OEM rear came without having air bled out. Taking care of that was a delightful afternoon.

As far as checking before I buy, that’s kind of what discussion boards like this one are for. I read everything I could about the Malossis and the YSS, saw equally good comments about both, and went with the cleaner look of the Malossi shocks. Performance has been much, much better than stock, but both shocks are weeping oil, which I had not seen any comments about. And so I’m commenting about my experience with them after relatively few months and miles.

Pax et bonum,
Michael

Is there any way you could find out if you have a warranty on the shocks? Perhaps contact the seller or view their website?
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

MBMyer wrote:Oh, and it only just now occurred to my fatigued and aging mind that what might be more helpful than months of service is miles of service.

These weeping shocks have ~3500 miles (~5600 km) on them.
For the record, I have 2526 miles on mine so far, so have a little ways to go to catch up to you yet. Will see how they are doing in another 1000 miles.